I Forge Iron

T Burner Illustrated Directions

Frosty

1mm is equal to 0,039, which is about equal to the hole in a MIG tip for ,035 wire. Unfortunately for you, that 1mm size isn't the tip's hole diameter, but is the size of welding wire, its meant for; this means that it will be too large for a standard 3/4" "T" burner.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1mm jet would be pushing it for a 1" / 25mm burner but maybe close enough to work. Pick up the metric equivalent of 0.023" or 0.025" mig contact tips. for your 15mm T burner.

Frosty The Lucky.

No, I've only built one 1/2" T to fine tune the build basics so I could answer questions. I came to peace with using a crazy too large forge years ago. I don't even have one of those sweet little bolt together K26 IFB forges the club built. I should though but. . .

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been getting into ever smaller burners, because I think I think fuel prices, like everything else, will continue to climb. In response to financial pressure, miniature heating equipment will become more desirable. And, of course miniature burners that make intense flames make a convenient jewelers torch; especially for newbies who don't want to pay for an oxy-fuel  torch set, while they are deciding how serious they are about a new hobby.

Having devoted most of my life to being a cheap skate about tools and supplies, I wish to pass that tradition on the the next generation :D

I don't think I'm up to doing the precision work without going to the lathe and that is sort of  counter to the T burner. I was never bit by the burner bug like you and Ron. I developed the T for one reason, to put a reasonable effective, inexpensive home built burner within the range of folks with minimal basic skills and shop.

The T appealed to the Scot in me too but I see Bernzomatic torch sets at almost every garage/yard/etc. sale all cheap, some on the free table. You can almost always get the seller to include it free in another sale. I picked up a deluxe Turbo Torch set at a yard sale with a 20lb propane tank for $10. 

As simple as I could make it, most of my burner posts about it are to people who don't understand what a ratio is. I still get PMs from guys who built a 1/2" T with a 8" tube "I followed your directions exactly!" Too many just start asking questions and obviously haven't read the directions at all. 

I SO understand why Ron refuses to answer questions. Happily on Iforge enough others understand how NA burners work to answer questions so I don't have to.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, you just gave me an idea for a problem that's been nagging me for several days. I won't elaborate for now, since I'm not yet sure if it will work or not, but thanks for the brain nudge anyway.

Frosty,

To begin with...what an excellent post! As someone who pays out lots of bucks for propane torch-heads to experiment with, I loved the encouragement for others to look for this stuff at yards sales.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

As simple as I could make it, most of my burner posts about it are to people who don't understand what a ratio is. I still get PMs from guys who built a 1/2" T with a 8" tube "I followed your directions exactly!" Too many just start asking questions and obviously haven't read the directions at all. 

I didn't mind that so much as when people kept repeating a question, over and over, because they weren't listening to my answers. Fortunately, that stopped happening, once I started describing Mikey burners. Apparently they look so involved that such people pass them by with barely a glance; I'm so glad about that :D

Oh yeah though it's not as annoying as someone who answers a question by repeating what I didn't understand in the first place, over and over and over. If you don't understand it yourself, could you put someone on who does? So they Read the instructions AGAIN only THEY'RE getting irritated now. One moron on a help line ran and repeated what he thought I was asking to come back and repeat exactly what he'd been repeating. I'd asked to speak to his supervisor. He obviously thought I was going to complain about him not a solution to a tech problem. I hung up on him. I got a call back from a supervisor in about 15 minutes, asked the question got a good answer THEN suggested the other guy get some customer service training. 

Einstein wasn't wrong.

It's hard to go incognito with my name too. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

One moron on a help line ran and repeated what he thought I was asking to come back and repeat exactly what he'd been repeating.

Frosty, is that a triple repeat or a three-peat?  My head is dizzy!!:wacko: LOL

Sorry, I misworded that, he ran to his supervisor and relayed something and returned to repeat. So it was a repetitive, run, relay, run repeat, rinse repeat till break time. My head was burning so I stopped counting, I guess that makes it a indeterminate-poly-peat. Puke?

Frosty The Lucky.

Ayup, the help line has a list and anything that isn't on the list has to be shoehorned on. Modern call centers are a bane, I can't order pizza delivery without talking to someone somewhere else in the world. We eat frozen Digorno's (however it's spelled) pizza anymore. I miss ordering a "Chef's Surprise" especially when they don't offer one. A "Kitchen sink" hold anchovies and shrimp is a favorite but . . . <sigh> 

When we still had a land line we used to get scam calls regularly and I really had a good time keeping them on the line as long as possible. It wasn't my :lol: dime. I haven't checked but there are some entertaining websites about scamming the scammers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty is havening prorblemses repplieding but mouse is leavening stuffingses where they aren't not supposed to is.

Joking aside some of those tickets seem awfully familiar.

Frosty The Lucky.

No, use the same ratios with 1/2" for the base number and use a 0.023" - 0.025" mig tip for the jet.  3/4" x 1/2" Ts are off the shelf at real plumbing supplies. 

It seems 1/2" T burners are easier to make and tune than 3/4" I hardly ever get questions.

Frosty The Lucky.

I explained how the intake and tube ratio is based on area of the cross section, the diameter is ONLY a working dimension. You have to do the arithmetic if you wish to get a handle on the volume and flow dynamics instead of just following the build directions.

To answer your question, a 1" x 3/4" T is more than 4x the air intake carrying capacity. You can use a 3/4" x 1 1/2" if you wish. Let me know how you get it tuned.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah apologies, I was looking at that document so long my brain started filling in diameter where it says area. I'm working with BSP nominal sizes to build this from British plumbing parts so I've got to run the numbers myself because it's different to NPT sizes. Before I go and redo all my calculations, is a 3/4" burner a good idea for a single burner forge meant to work on things up to the size of a large knife? I was considering going down to 1/2" but I'm building this for an existing forge made from a cut up propane tank and the non working burner it had already is a ~1.1" modified Frosty T burner design even though it's not a particularly big canister and the insulation cuts the interior volume down more.

No need to apologize, I was pretty short. I get a lot of questions from people who want me to do all the calculations for them. I confuse myself regularly.

It's the ratio that counts, not a specific size, it doesn't matter if it's ASP,  BSP, metric or cubits. 

There is no way I can even guess if a 3/4" T burner is enough burner for a British propane tank. Nor am I inclined to try. Figure out how many cubic inches the forge chamber volume is. A properly tuned 3/4" T burner will reliably bring about 300-350 cubic inches to welding temperature. Shape has an effect, long and narrow wants more smaller burners.

Using two layers of rigidized 1" 8lb. refractory blanket with a flame face around 3/8" thick though guys are having good luck using thinner and thicker. Anyway, The empty volume inside the lined forge is what determines what size and how many burners it needs.

Remember whatever the liner thickness is gets subtracted twice, once for each side of the forge. If the liner is 2" thick it subtracts 4" from the forge ID.

Frosty The Lucky.