I Forge Iron

Quenching Drum

Gents, finally got around to sorting out a proper quenching drum. I knocked the head our of an old 55 gal wine oak wine barrel, used the timbers from the head to make a lid. The barrel has nice galvanised hoops so won't rust in a hurry. It took up nicely and does not even seep. The good thing about a barrel is it won't rust and will probably see me out. We had the same thing in the blacksmith shop on the sheep station that I grew up on. 

Cheers 

Heelerau

P1010844.JPG

It's almost too pretty for a blacksmith shop, don't let the wife see it! One feature I really like about it is it's height, it's high enough it's far less likely hot high Carbon pieces will fall into it accidentaly. Of course the lid doesn't hurt.

Nice piece of kit.

Frosty The Lucky.

It might pay to put some sort of bung/valve in the side near the bottom so it can be drained easily. I've done this on several quench barrels the schools have used to cool coupons. Over time you'll get a build up of scale, slag, grit and pieces of metal in the bottom that needs to be cleaned out periodically. at 8 lbs to the gallon, that's a lot of weight to try and tip over to dump, not to mention many times those barrels aren't all that stable once you take the head off. I've seen plenty collapse when people tried to dump them out.

Gentlemen, thanks for the interest and advice, the mesh is a good idea, and I can knock the bung out in the mid section to drain enough out to shift it to clean it out on occasion. It was one of the War Offices barrels, from out stoop, I did mollify her by saying I can always drain it and tip it up if we need it for a party. We can get them pretty cheap, for about $50 from a local place. 

Cheers 

Heelerau

Do you quench a lot of Copper & Stainless ?

Yes of course, don't you?….With 316 stainless especially if wanting to drill or machine afterward. Copper I also quench to maximise softness when annealing and then sometimes to get the colours for patination.

All metals I chuck in the tub when they get too hot to hold, usually I manage to hold on to the coldest end and cool my forearm as well. Sometimes I let go!

Alan

Good Morning,

Mosquito larvae have a hard time breathing through a thin skim of spilled oil. Saves on water evaporation as well. The little bit of Oil doesn't affect the quench and leaves a little bit of rust proofing on the workpiece.

Unless Ian is talking about the Mosquitos that are large enough to have saddles. They aren't used in the Canadian Air Force, they ARE the Canadian Air Force!!:D:D

Maybe this is the question, Who has the biggest...........................Barrell?  Or is that fills the..............;)

Neil

Mosquitoes in Alaska are required by the FAA to have tail numbers and running lights.

Folk used to put a couple tablespoons of oil on ponds to kill mosquito larva but it wasn't so healthy for other things. However garlic oil is VERY anti insect and doesn't bother anything else. IIRC a tbsp will put a sheen on about an acre of lake surface and all it takes is a sheen.

I have a lid on my water so I don't drop things in accidentally and the LG usually manages to hit it with a drop or two of oil now and then.

Another good anti larva treatment is a few drops of dish soap. Adult mosquitoes can't land on the water and stay on top so they sink and drown. It works on mice that try to get a drink and fall in, their fur immediately saturates so they sink and drown. Dawn isn't toxic either so if Falki wants a drink he'll only be up on his iron.

Frosty The Lucky.

wus:D

What do you put in your barrel to combat the mosquito larvae?

Hot iron !! The mozzies here in the west need clearance from Perth airport to take off, I have seen them pick up a young lamb, and it looks like a rice crisp when sucked dry ! The carry red hot pokers to jab you with, and these are only the small ones .

Edited by Heelerau

I've been hunting for a nice barrel to act as a quench tub.  Like anything else in the shop, looking good is half the battle, and a wood barrel just looks the part.  Haven't found one, yet, though.  Saw a fellow that had a half-barrel and it was oblong.  Never seen anything like it before.

Taking garlic oil pills is a great way to keep the mosquitoes at bay without spraying yourself down with something.  I love the garlic too much to be dunking it in the quench tub.

I've been hunting for a nice barrel to act as a quench tub.  Like anything else in the shop, looking good is half the battle, and a wood barrel just looks the part.  Haven't found one, yet, though.  Saw a fellow that had a half-barrel and it was oblong.  Never seen anything like it before.

Taking garlic oil pills is a great way to keep the mosquitoes at bay without spraying yourself down with something.  I love the garlic too much to be dunking it in the quench tub.

The smith I trained with had a half barrel for a quench tub. I can still see in my minds eye the burnt notches in the oak around the rim.

I have used garlic oil perls successfully to keep midges away in this country. Twenty years ago, we were glad of the effect of RID (neat Deet!) when visiting Kakadu in the Northern Territory though. Different league of biting things there I think.

Eat garlic and get a wide circle of friends....as the saying goes...I eat a couple of slices of wholemeal bread version of bruschetta for lunch every day, plus the garlic in cooking...what midge (or friend) would dare come near!

Alan

The smith I trained with had a half barrel for a quench tub. I can still see in my minds eye the burnt notches in the oak around the rim.

I have used garlic oil perls successfully to keep midges away in this country. Twenty years ago, we were glad of the effect of RID (neat Deet!) when visiting Kakadu in the Northern Territory though. Different league of biting things there I think.

Eat garlic and get a wide circle of friends....as the saying goes...I eat a couple of slices of wholemeal bread version of bruschetta for lunch every day, plus the garlic in cooking...what midge (or friend) would dare come near!

Alan

Enough garlic will either cure what ails you, or make people leave you alone. Either way, it's a win. 

This reminds me: it's getting about time to plant next year's garlic patch....

Funny I had a brushetta lunch today too! I'm lying on the bedding , ceiling fan on max , its 28C out at 9:45 pm, I bother myself with the garlic hum and I'm still being munched on by mozzies ! The local ones must have crossbred with some Italian ones.

I have also noticed that they seem to have a quieter approach... no it's not my hearing failing, should anyone think to chirp!

The forbidden subject name actually has some interesting connotations going, almost a 2x on tondray.

We get half barrels for fairly reasonable at garden and most larger building supplies. Can't let them freeze though and winter is REALLY dry so it can be a PITA to get them swollen up and stop leaking in the spring. I just use a big old garage sale pot but I've been keeping my open for a long galvy trough or wash tub. It's much easier to cool the handle end of a piece if I can just angle the hot end out of the water and cool the rest. Beats having to use a dipper or hold the hot end with tongs and use a tall slack tub.

Of course that's just me.

Garlic, Mmmmmmmmmmm. If I'm not putting garlic and onions in it I'm making desert.

Big doses of vitamin B helps make you less tasty to the bugs but mega dosing vitamins isn't terribly healthy so I just keep a good maintenance level of garlic in my blood stream.

Tor you guys who live where it doesn't freeze hard you just need a slack tub large enough to keep a few trout in it. Trout LIKE mosquitoes, in fact I believe that's the only reason God let the little blood suckers live.

Frosty The Lucky

You've never lived 'til you've had garlic ice cream or garlic in a cobbler...(come over sometime, see if I'm joking...)

Maybe just brine the tank til end of winter? Or is it freeze saltwater cold? I'm in Georgia, and thinking about it; still have the darn thing freeze solid sometimes in the winter. (and bust out the sides...)