I Forge Iron

Quenching Drum

I have had garlic ice cream, and it's AWESOME!

Next year's garlic went in the ground yesterday, including three or four dozen bulblets that had formed on the flower stalks of a few of this year's. We'll see how they turn out.

And Frosty, be careful about those galvy washtubs. The last time I had my eye open for one (for a Tim Lively-style tub forge), I ended up buying my current rivet forge.

I have an old fuel tank with the top cut out that serves as a quenching tank (ex Land Rover), it's heavily galvanized both inside and out and has many years life in it, 'Mossies' are not a great problem here but garlic is, I'm allergic, fortunately I detest the stuff anyway!

Oh yeah it gets cold enough to freeze a saturated brine solution, <28*f. a "warm" winter day. I just drain the bucket till next year. If I must have a water bucket I bring out a few gl. warm in a jug and dump it at the end of the session. I've melted snow and ice chunks but it's a PITA and avoid it if possible.

It gets cold enough to harden steel cooling from critical in still air. For giggles one time I laid a 1/2" x 2" x 12" piece of HOT strap stock on a 2" thick piece of aluminum plate at a couple degrees below zero f. You shouldn't heard them scream and squeal.

I've kept it in the idea file for hardening steel just in case of . . . something.

Frosty The Lucky.