I Forge Iron

Thickening Flat stock

2:1 is the ratio I was told to work between. Anything over that and you risk folds and cold shuts as Thomas states.

1/4" x 1/2" no problem but 1/4" x 1" will take forever to tease back and forward to avoid the folds. You will lose a lot of cross sectional area in the process.

With a power hammer you can hit it hard enough to get the centre section to swell and so you can improve on 2:1 on a good day.

Alan

Good Morning,

Or you could start with 1/2" and draw it down to 1/4".

Start playing with the Modeling Clay or Play-Doh, you will see what the above people are talking about.

Perspective is not Linear. Figure out what works with Modeling Clay/Plasticene and you will answer your own questions. You can make it out of your soft medium and then skunsh it together and see how much of the parent material you will need to make it.

Just a thought,

Neil

Welcome aboard new guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Yes, you CAN upset 1/4"x1" into 1/2"x1/2" but it's a PITA. Unless it's necessary for the piece it's just an exercise in how to or how far can you go. I can think of design elements where it might be pretty cool, say a section of a strap or brace, etc. that looks like it was pinched between someone's fingers.

If you want to take a lash at it then go for it. You probably just aren't going to do it again for real. On the other hand markets are full of STRANGE people.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you do choose to do it, heavy hammer, maybe even a striker, otherwise it'll want to fishmouth. On the other hand, too heavy or power hammer, and there's a tendency to buckle, although maybe not so bad on 1/4 x 1. Pain in the tuckus.

I've upset parts of wide ones mucking about with leaf spring SSO (sword shape objects) and angle iron leaf shaped spearheads. (makes a lovely ridge down the middle from the extra material in the corner.)

Note that 1" x 1/4"  does not allow for any scale losses or lengthening along the long axis of the piece going into 1/2 x 1/2". There is just enough steel to form 1/2 x 1/2".  Think of 1" x 1/4" as being 4 pieces of 1/4" sq stock sitting side by side; you can re stack them as 2 up and two across to get 1/2 x 1/2" sq stock but there is NO extra to deal with losing material during the working of it!

It would be extremely difficult to get 1/4 x 1 to make 1/2 square. As Thomas noted, there is no accounting for scale loss. Additionally, you will absolutly get buckling when working this section size on edge because the aspect ratio is 4:1. In industrial practice the maximum aspect ratio that can be easily worked on edge or upset is 3:1. This phenomena is independant of hammer or press size. So, you will get buckling of this cross section if you work it on edge. You can flatten that out if you work it on edge a little, then flatten a little than back up on edge etc. However, when you flatten out the buckle, you will get some lengthening. It cannot be avoided. Therefore, even if you had no loss to scale, you still wouldn't end up with a true 1/2" square.

Note that 1" x 1/4"  does not allow for any scale losses or lengthening along the long axis of the piece going into 1/2 x 1/2". There is just enough steel to form 1/2 x 1/2".  Think of 1" x 1/4" as being 4 pieces of 1/4" sq stock sitting side by side; you can re stack them as 2 up and two across to get 1/2 x 1/2" sq stock but there is NO extra to deal with losing material during the working of it!

Yeah but that's easy enough to correct, just upset it lengthwise to make up for scale loss.

Frosty The Lucky.

xxxx it Jerry, stop feeding the "forbiden" deamons!

Thank Frosty and Tomas, it bit me in the posterier a few times.

They where trying to explane to a new guy how to draw tapers, he didnt get it but I did. One of those du moments. 

Some times I have had to forge wide toe web, raised heal shoes, and as I carry 1x1/4" for sliders it is more practical to forge the heals down to 3/4x5/16. Then fold the heals under and set them down. 

Frosty- you are still limited to a 3:1 aspect ratio when you upset. If your piece is longer than 3/4" then it will buckle when you stand it on end to gain back what you lost due to buckling when you worked the edges. You could upset in very short sections, but why? 

K.I.S.S. Purchase the proper size material to draw down to your finished size. Just because you "CAN", doesn't mean that you made a "Smart" choice. Price of cost saving material + fuel to upset to finished size + Time and aggrivation to accomplish the feat = PAITA and cost more than purchasing other material.

just my $0.02

Neil

Frosty you are an evil evil man!  If we ever meet up I'll buy you a beer!

Thank you sir, I try. I like dark beers and creme stouts though a nice ale is good. We'll take turns on the check though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty- you are still limited to a 3:1 aspect ratio when you upset. If your piece is longer than 3/4" then it will buckle when you stand it on end to gain back what you lost due to buckling when you worked the edges. You could upset in very short sections, but why? 

Patrick: I see you have the good taste to not read enough of my posts to know I'm a smart Alec so you probably just didn't realize how far in my cheek my tongue was.

However, there is a good reason to try upsetting such a piece of stock and no, you don't have to lose much of anything to scale. IF you flux it to prevent oxygen contact. The only good reason, other than a patron is paying your rate, to learn to do this kind of silly process is to learn how. As a learning exercise it's a fine thing to do, education costs, one way or another we have to invest in education.

And, yes I've actually tried this silly kind of upset and pulled it off IIRC 1/4"x3/4" or similar. It was far and a way more work than it was worth. Yes I lost so much to scale that by time it was square it was something like 5/16". After keeping flux on it edge chilling it so it'd upset in the center and liberally coating my apron with flux spatter I proved to myself I'd prefer to draw 1" sq. down than upset very much more than absolutely necessary.

The way to keep buckling from screwing the show up royally is to correct it the second it starts to occur.

Frosty The Lucky.