I Forge Iron

Welding in a blacksmith shop

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 1940's motor driven Lincoln military surplus DC generator stick welder, Marquette AC stick welder, oxy/Acet, mig, spool mate and tig. Used mostly stick and 7018 as the welds had to hold. Mig was only for sheet metal and small jobs. Tig and spoolmate only for Alum, SS. Cast iron was brazed.

My Competitors used mostly Mig, I did a lot of reworking of their repair jobs.

A good old Lincoln Tombstone. Those suckers are nearly indestructible, and if they do happen to crash on you, they are so simple that a little bit of electrical knowledge is all that's needed for a repair. But, as testament to the Lincoln tombstone, mine is an early or mid 1960 model and is still going strong. And the only difference between mine and a brand spanking new one (as far as I can tell) is the paint is shinier on a new one ;)

I also have a little Blue-Point (Snap-on's generic little brother) mig welder. It only really sees use doing sheetmetal work, so I generally take the spool out when I'm done with it, cause chances are the spool is gonna rust before I end up needing it again. It's handy now and then, But If I could only have one welder, it would have to be the Lincoln.

-Aaron @ the SCF

MillerMatic 251 for MIG and Dual Shield, .035 & .045 respectfully. Miller TrailBlazer for stick and TIG, I have the thumb control reostat for the TIG. 2 Victor torch units and an OLD Protec (I think that is what it is) torch. I do quite a bit of Oxy/Acy welding and brazing work. I also have a 1964 Lincoln Redface SA200, it is for sale since I got the Trailblazer, I don't use it anymore.

While most of my welding in done in the forge, I have a Smith oxy/acy set and a Century 100 mig I got after my Lincoln 175+ toasted a few years back. Not as good a unit as the Lincoln, but the price was right.

Lincoln 400 amp arc/tig/mig tow-behind diesel unit I borrow when I have large welding jobs, but I want to buy my own stick unit soon. I priced a Lincoln AC/DC+/DC- at about $575 and the basic Lincoln AC only at $225, havent decided which yet. I use mainly 7018 and 6011 rods.

any comments???

The reason I have had so many welders is due to being in the blacksmithing / welding business for over 50 years. When I had employees, it was necessary.
I recently sold a new Portable Ranger 250, plus gave away a Lincoln buzz box and a Miller buzz box.
I am left with a Miller AC-DC Arc STICK, ~ Century 70 Amp AC Arc STICK (I keep on the work table for quick tacks), ~ Lincoln Precision 185 MIG, ~ Lincoln 135 TIG, ~ Lincoln 110 Weld Pack Wire feed (It is very portable and I used it for installations), ~ oxy/acy, ~ and a Plasma Cutter. And of course, my forges.