I Forge Iron

Welding in a blacksmith shop

i have a lincoln AC buzz box and one of those cambell hausfield gasless wire feeders (which is actually a pretty awesome machine for the price!!)...plus i have a complete steel fab shop to use..dozens of welders of all shapes and sizes and mills and a lathe and a cnc plasma machine just for kicks....oh did i mention about 1000 tons of steel of any shape or size as needed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

At the shop we have 4 big MIGs (Miller 210's and Lincolns) 2 small MIGs for playing away (one Miller one Lincoln), a Big a Lincoln TIG, Hypertherm plasma cutter, a very small DC arc welder again for playing away. Each work tablesmith has a Large MIG which is 99% of the welding, the TIG (which Ive yet to use) is for Architectural Bronze more often than not.

I have a Lincoln 235 Tombstone and Miller Thunderbolt 225AC/150 DC stick welders.

I am more fond of the Miller for obvioulsy the DC capability but the more important thing for me is the infinite crank adjustmemt on the Miller.

The Lincoln has 15 amp steps. This is not an issue above 125 amps or so. But the difference between 60 amps and 75 amps is significant and some thin steels may require 67 amps which just can not be done with a Lincoln.

I have several ox/ac and ox/map/propane torches. Primarily Harris but some Victor

• 2 weeks later...

I have a syncrowave 250 TIG/Stick. I use the stick for welding gates and heavy bar stock and plate. Tig I use for welding on more delicate things such as roses or a job where the weld should be left and look very nice. I ussually just grind my stick welds flat. I also have a millermatic 200 thats about 20 years old and it gets used for all kinds of projects. Its good for working on cars and right now my brothers roll cage in his drifting car. Also have an oxy/act setup and a plasma cutter that is very useful for fabrication and some plasmacutter art.

You can run regular 7018 with AC. I've done it with a 110v Craftsman buzzbox that went up to 100a with 3/16" rods on both cast iron and a rusted car frame.

I don't advise it unless you like pain, however.

The aforementioned welder is what I have in my shop at home. It works, but again, I don't advise it unless you like pain. I've put together my share of sheet and plate with it.

At my day job I get to use a Miller Syncrowave.

Hobart 180, Old Montgomery Ward tombstone ac welder that I can't burn up....I don't know who made it but it's tuff. 2 Victor journeyman oxy/act set ups, Hypertherm 380. Have been toying with the idea of another portable rig(haven't had one for about 8 years now) but I had to choose between a portable welder and a power hammer. The power hammer won out.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I started business with a tombstone ac only.
That is parked in a barn in vermont now.
My present setup is
lincoln mig, I cant remember the rating, but it is old. got it used for $550
lincoln tig 300/300 looks like it's from the 60's. used $500, a loud but smooth machine.
for installs, miller maxstar 140 $1250 new. can tig 1" from finished stair tread. I love it.
for remote installs, Burco welder/generator 4-stroke honda, 75pounds. used $600.

l-tec 225 mig, tombstone 250 ac/dc lincoln ,hobart 135 mig and 250 ac/dc miller gas rig,and a 40amp plasma.then of course the ol' standby 1 victor and 1 harris oxy/act rig for cutting/brazing or gas welding or if i need to heat up some soup or burn my finger. anyway all vintage and old but in good working order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The shop I work at has 5 or 6 Miller dynasty 300DX, SD..? two spoolmatic 300s', and a trailblazer on the svc truck and a small collection of portable welders which may.. or may not work. As far as what I have in my shop, i just came across a miller thunderbolt, which i have not had the chance to test out yet.

• 3 months later...

Lincoln SP170T for rough work, Dillon/Henrob/Cobra, Airco "Aircraft" torch and Harris full size torch and a "Little Torch". I sold my big watercooled Tig when I retired from racing. Too much investment to let it gather dust.mike("rough work" is a bit unfair- I weave run a mig just like I keyhole a torch so I do get good flat fishscale beads with good penetration)