I Forge Iron

what animal is this?

I'm working on the frame of my first sculpture commission, (few more bits to add in), it's a 4 foot tall animal that will be clad with a skin once the frame is finished.

I'm blending anatomical correctness with the client's instructions of it being kinda friendly/cute, so some features are oversized. It's going to be abstract but it the client's brief is that it must immediately look the animal it's supposed to be.

These pics are very flat looking & not at all as 3D as the real thing, some of the proportions don't look as they do in real life either...nevertheless, what animal do you think it is? If people can tell what animal it is even at this stage (from these rubbish pics) I'll breathe a sigh of relief as once it's clad it'll be much more obvious. I've never done anything like this before so I'm understandably nervous.

The client is going to visit tomorrow to approve the frame proportions before I move onto the cladding stage. I have made the client 2 sample ligaments so they know what the end result will look like.

Cheers

20150624_172102.jpg

20150623_172057.jpg

20150624_172113.jpg

Cheers, that'll do me, it's a bear. Some bears have very dog like faces/snouts.

The carpenters in the neighbouring workshop popped in earlier and they said it's a bear in a flash so I'm at least confident now that it's recognisable. Let's hope the client likes it.

20150625_155109.jpg

Thanks for the replies folks, the client came in to inspect/approve earlier & was instantly happy & only made very minor comments for alteration.

About 10 mins before he came in the local groundworks & demolition guy popped in & upon seeing immediately asked "why the F are you making a bear?" That settled any remaining nerves.

• 1 month later...