I Forge Iron

FB proof some people want to remain stupid

Steve Sells

I made the mistake of explaining a few things to some clueless members of a facebook website called brotherhood of the blade, and an associated Knife buy,sell, and swap site.  A member there was selling Russian made Bowie knifes for $40 each that he says are folded 400 times.  I asked if he made a typo because 400 folds is not only impractical but cost prohibitive for $40 since the appearance of 20 folds l is about the same as 400,  which is essentially looking like mono steel at that point, but with much more labor and loss of material.  The kids that run that FB page banned be for "the way I explained it"  They kicked me out stating I was interfering with their sales, and they are not impressed, and do not want my type around, if I got taken in a sale its my problem not theirs. 

This same member that was scamming the sites there sent me a PM the next day stating I should mind my own business.  He got taken by the Russian for a load of those blades, and he was only repeating what he was told trying to unload them for a small profit, not his problem if its true or not.  (a frengi from star trek ?)

I was not stupid enough to fall for that scam but some did,  too bad the site had that "we don't get involved" attitude, which if you recall resulted in Ebay losing a lot of money many years back when the judge stated they hosted the sales and while are they may not accountable for all bad sales,  they are held accountable for allowing known scams to continue.

buyer beware...  especially over the internet, where people think they are invisible. 

I have been known to ask folks how radioactive their blades are when their # of folds and thickness of the blade takes the "layers" under the diameter of the iron atom.  Been yelled at a bunch of times too by folks who didn't think that the seller had any legal duty to know what they were selling and not to lie about it.

ya well i have had a person (someone who should know better) tell me "old time swords were made from a steel like mild (lo carbon) steel! and tried to get to agree wile talking to a customer! had to sat no that steel for swords was better than that...this same person is currently forging out swords to sell out of mild steel...people have no shame !!!!

On another FB site,   we had a discussion about sweet iron for horse bits.  Later someone mentioned it was a "high carbon Iron"  being used, I mention Iron plus Carbon is steel, and no one would waste their supply of high carbon in period, for making horse tack, we had an arm chair smith mouth off, (he was in college no less) cussing at me, and started stating all types of cast iron grades.  I pointed out I am not aware of people foirging cast iron, and then it went down hill real fast, Ended up having that thread deleted, and the college expert left the site before the page owner could talk to him about it,  We get all kinds more worried about being right than understanding and learning.

"Sweet iron" bridle bits came up recently. One person said it came from Swedish iron, called Swede iron. I thought that was a good one which I hadn't heard before. My personal view was that wrought iron in Spanish is hierro dulce, literally 'iron sweet,' and the early Mexican bitsmiths translated it to their Anglo counterparts and apprentices.

You probably have the truth of it, Frank. As we inherited (and subsequently bastardized either the name or tack) most of our western tack and technice from spanish/mexican (indo-spanish?) horsemen (caberoes, californioes etc.)
Not sure who is worse, Steve. zealots that believe they are right, despite evidence to the contrary or liars and cheats. I think the former are more dangerous, but well meaning. The latter are just evil.

Yup, you can't argue with stupid.  There is a guy selling cast iron anvils on a number of Facebook forums (both blacksmithing and historical Facebook groups), and an unbelievable number of people in eastern Europe trying to sell junk knives.  The guy selling cast iron anvils seems to truly believe that his cast iron anvils are fine. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are so blinded by their desire for a bargain that they will actually believe that they can buy a high-end pattern-welded knife or a high-end sword for $40, or an anvil-shaped-object at a bargain price.  Some people aren't very bright, many others are blinded by the desire to get something for nothing.  ...... And then there are the instant experts; people who are absolute experts the moment they take up a hobby.  .... The Internet is a place that misinformation can spread rapidly, fools can portray themselves as experts, and thieves can make an easy profit preying on the ignorant, the fools and the instant experts.

Internet Experts don't want you giving them facts as it messes up their story.  PT Barnum's comment about fools and their money is as appropriate today as ever.  

An Expert is anyone more than 25 miles from home with a briefcase or now days on the internet.

Steve,  they will never learn.

I just read a book on my Kindle called, "Mistakes Were Made But Not by Me." by Carla Tavris. I think it's Carla if not somebody ELSE made the mistake. <wink>

It's a psychology text, the subject being how cognitive dissonance causes discomfort at a very deep level and humans will automatically do something to relieve the discomfort. This results in excuses, rationalizations, accusations, litigation, etc. etc. The most common examples she uses are politicians who caught flat footed being wrong will double talk for decades that it never happened. The title is a quote of something Henry Kissinger said repeatedly for decades.

What's that got to do with the subject? The world is full of thieves and cons, we've all been screwed and it's hard to admit we fell for something so idiotic. Yes? Well, there you are, discovering we really ARE that gullible causes cognitive dissonance. Get screwed by a Russian con and you're stuck with a few hundred junk items? Well, given time enough telling yourself you really aren't THAT dumb and you begin to believe it OR if I fell for it then it's someone else's fault if they fall for it. It may not make you feel as smart as your self image would like to believe but at least you're not below average!

Telling someone the "truth" is rubbing their noses in a painful experience, one they have perhaps spent years convincing themselves just isn't so. Don't expect a grateful reaction, ain't a gonna happen. In the case of the junk blades, you're not only rubbing salt in the cognitive wounds of the first sucker who's selling them but all the other folk who've been suckered in turn. Stepping into something like that is like being a Cop breaking up a domestic dispute. All you're doing is giving them an outside BAD GUY target to take their mind of their own cognitive dissonance.

It's not that we don't learn or are stupid, we're hard wired by evolution for certain behaviors and it's really hard to break the pattern. So, don't think too poorly of folk who believe in the silly, someone will point out YOU IS ONE TOO!

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, your book would be a good reading companion to "The Peter Principle".  I've known a LOT of those folks over the years!

I agree, "Mistakes . . . " goes a long way to understanding why people get shuffled laterally and leaders must hit their level of incompetence to get the job.

Humans. <s i g h>

Frosty The Lucky.

You are all right about us new guys being quick, hostile experts. I am sorry that I demonstrated that fact the other day. I will try harder in the future to learn more before I offer advice. I will try not to argue with someone who is real world experienced in this art. You all know BS when you see it as you have learned the difference. That is a sincere compliment. Best....

You are all right about us new guys being quick, hostile experts. I am sorry that I demonstrated that fact the other day. I will try harder in the future to learn more before I offer advice. I will try not to argue with someone who is real world experienced in this art. You all know BS when you see it as you have learned the difference. That is a sincere compliment. Best....

Hey, don't go being hard on yourself. We all started out, we all make mistakes, repeat myth, thought we had the better way, etc. etc. Nothing new about that, been there do that. . . OFTEN. <sigh>

About not speaking up. How does a person determine if what they think is right or not? A person could experiment till they made the determination, read about it, talk about it, take classes, attend demos, etc. Naturally, doing all is best but talking about it is really important. If you've wasted so much time as to read many of my many posts you'll realize how often I've hit Send when I should've hit Delete.

Here's something to think about. You've not only realized you maybe put your foot in your mouth. (I'd have to search to find what you're talking about but I'm too lazy and don't really care) You not only realize a mistake but publicly confess?!? Blacksmithing is a lifelong process of failure analysis, I'd almost be willing to bet a blacksmith coined the saying, "we learn from our mistakes." To be able to learn from a mistake we: first, MUST recognize it's a mistake. Second analyze what went wrong and only then can we begin to correct it. I've worked with people who never make a mistake and. . . no CIVIL comment.

Welcome to the club Brother, proud to know you. Oh and it's no accident Blacksmithing and Bull Shooting share the abbreviation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sluicebox, I second Frosty. Welcome to the Club. When you chose to make a stand just be prepared to put your hammer and tongs where your mouh is, lol. Given a wile here you will learn who's oppinion you can take to the anvil and who's you want to try out on a scrap. If you ask the steel its oppinion about some advice it will all come clear.