I Forge Iron

What did ya'll get for Christmas,

matto

So now that it is a new year, what did everyone get for Christmas?

I got another forge and an electric blower. The forge and blower where from the last working blacksmith shop in my home town. If I remember I will post pics tomorrow. I am work ing on the anvil from that shop. I am also working to get an anvil from the ironworks that was in my home town. I have found two. Only problem is one is in a museum.

Frog, you've got a really good girlfriend!

Surprisingly, I got a pair of OCP blade box tongs out of the blue.  These things are very nice and have already come in handy when making a grab rail out of 1.25"x.25" stock.  The offset jaws stay well clear of any curls or scrolls, and the stock is held very securely.

Oh, and I ordered myself Mark Aspery's 1st volume.  I've heard a lot of good about it, and enjoy his videos, so I decided to start the new year with a bang.

Anti-fog safety goggles from Lux Optical. (Was wearing them already, but still - they were under the tree.)

New pair of safety boots that look so nice I use them for going out / scrap yard digging footwear.  :)

Thermo leggins for wintertime forging.

And please don't tell anyone but I got my "cheap second hand" DeWalt grinder repaired. It costed more than a new Makita  :( . This was the last time I bought used power tool... On the bright side: I have my DeWalt working!

And a Soviet era handbook of hand and industrial forging. Very exciting reading. Still waiting for a small album from Fritz Kühn.

Greetings

Gergely

I got to spend a week with my grand kids back east, that was priceless.  As far as physical gifts are concerned my daughter gave me an apron.  Then there were lots of books, etc.  Big news came on Christmas eve, we are moving to Arizona from California.  My wife finalized a job change and a big step up. She starts February first and I will stay in California until the kids finish the school year in June.  Between now and then lots of work getting the place ready to sell and moving.

well I thought ??? I was bad enough to get a bag or 2 of coal LOL guess not :unsure:

I will have to try harder this year LOL -- thank god were almost finish building new Propane forge with temp gauges

so I am buying a Nortel glass blowers torch :D  for myself !! I already started a build that tool pile for glass working tools

hopefully will combined metal & glass art down the road after the Learning Curve

VaughenT  YOU mite as well get the other 2 books from Mark A  NOW & save on shipping !!!

you will get them down the road !   there Great !!

Parts to rebuild an older propane forge and parts to build a new, portable propane forge.  Parts include Innswool, sodium silicate, a 1" burner from Rex for the older larger forge, a 3/4" burner from Thermalartdesign for the smaller forge and some IR coating also from Rex.  The 1" burner is pretty darn impressive.  It heats up a 500 cubic inch forge body to forging temperature with only 5 psi on the regulator.  The 3/4" burner is not nearly as impressive, in fact I had to order an additional burner from someone else because the one won't do the job.  Actually, it might be more accurate to say that the one burner won't do the job unless I am willing to run it at 20 psi, something I am not thrilled about doing.  The second burner is also 3/4" and is coming from Zoeller, if he ever actually gets around to shipping it.  Once I get it, (if I get it) and have a chance to compare, I will be doing a write up on all three which I will post on this forum.

well I thought ??? I was bad enough to get a bag or 2 of coal LOL guess not :unsure:

I had a neighbor come over the other evening after she had had a few glasses of wine.  She asked me if I could spare some coal for her step sons.  Of course I complied but then after a few more glasses of wine she changed her mind.

I tried the being bad route for coal as well and then someone let it be known I'd saved a stray cat back in June & found it a home and "Puff" there went my bad deeds. One nice thing and it blows the entire year. Wife said we weren't exchanging gifts this year so I bought myself a 14" cut off saw from HF. Evidently not what she had in mind. #1 start for coal next year, 355 days to go!

Maybe next year I'll give my self coal marked from Santa! If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Hmmn, I think tradin a wife for a girlfriend is in order so I can get some ocp tongs.lol Nice girl, ya might take notice brother,,,

Got a long johns bottoms, gun cleaning kit to add to the other 12 mixed misfits thanks to my kids n friends.

Hey, I just about died, my dentist wrote me check for 400 bucks. As I just had 6k uppers dentures with posts n ma washed em in my sweats n fell out n broke 2 teeth. Told em what happened. Next morin, his wife said I was a rare guy. As most everyone lies n says they broke just eating a sandwich. Leavin him the costs,,,
So I guess telling the truth still works in America.
Now if we can cut the head off the snake. As that's what my intelligence yrs always ROEs.