I Forge Iron

Hide mallet

ausfire

This is a strange looking mallet I picked up at a swap meet. For $5 it seemed like a good buy and I have tested it on the bending of a ram's head and it works just fine.
I use a lead hammer for the same job, but it's getting very battered and I was glad to come across this one. No-one on the stall knew what it was and I'm not sure it is intended for blacksmith use. However, it works well. The hide is very tightly wound and is held firm by the large nut.
Do you figure it is a homemade piece or what? It is marked with GREG STEEL, or that's what it looks like. Anyone seen anything similar?
post-50874-0-05611900-1402656467_thumb.j
post-50874-0-93835300-1402656570_thumb.j

I have a very similar rawhide mallet and it's factory. If I can locate it, I'll try and get a picture, but I'm not sure if the faces are with it at the moment or not.

I've also seen them with other faces, plastic, brass, lead and so on. They are often used when you need to hit something and not leave marks.

I have two rawhide hammers in the shop plus wooden mallets for hot work where I don't want to mark the piece with a steel hammer.

The hammers have blind receptacles in the head to received the tightly spiraled rawhide inserts. I use wood glue when I install. The rawhide comes in various diameters, and I get mine from travers.com. I checked and the new hammers are expensive compared to flea market prices. I'm sure that MSC and McMaster Carr carry them, as well.

I got my two hammers sans rawhide at the flea and on both occasions, the sellers agreed that they were surely "odd hammers." The sellers did not know what they were, and I DIDN'T TELL THEM! Otherwise, the price might go higher.

I just completed a circular, twisted drop handle using the rawhide and working over a small log clamped tightly and projecting from the vise. What a trip, but I got it done without marring the twist.

P.S. One becomes inured to the smell.

I was first introduced to these for driving timber framing chisels, they don't damage wooden handles and ferrules as badly as a steel hammer.  Also good for straightening twists or anything else you don't want marred.  

Mine's made by the Garland Co. of Saco, Maine, USA, parts and interchangeable heads are still available.

post-6738-0-18853700-1402669788_thumb.jp

I have the Garland make, also. There was a choice of sizes available at my local mason supply store. Before I put on the forging side of the shop I used it for wet-set flagstone work. Sort of a pre- deadblow hammer. Old rubber mallets have a tendency to whack me in the forehead, the rawhide didn't. I have a rubber deadblow for stonework now. If you note, the bottom of the head is a big threaded nut, holding the 2 sides together. That's how you can switch out the rawhide when used up, or you can pop in lead, brass, wood. Replacements are still around.

They are also used to dissasemble heavy equipment. I used mine for removing parts on landing gears. Eventualy they begin to chip and fray. The plus side of their use "no hammer dings" on large equipment. The replacement heads are expensive. Like said in a previous post pre deadblow.

• 1 month later...

I've got one with copper faces made by Thor hammer in England, who also sells replacement faces in quite a few different materials. It's a four pounder which cost me fifty bucks off the tool truck a couple months back. I really like the copper as it hits a lot harder than the new urithane dead blows yet still doesn't mushroom pins like a steel hammer.

• 5 years later...

I picked up a Greg Steel mallet last Sunday. It had a handle, in not particularly good nick, that I have removed to clean up the head.

It's a brand that I have not heard of before and this type of mallet is not very common in Australia which is why I grabbed this one.

I see that the original posters photos are not available which is a pity as I would have like to see another example.

If you're still around ausfire any chance of reposting some pics???

Gfreg Steel 1.jpg

Greg Steel 2.jpg

Greg Steel 3.jpg

Greg Steel 4.jpg

Mark, thanks for your PM alerting me to your response to this old thread.

Yes, I am still around, and I did manage to dig out a couple of pics of the Greg Steel hide hammer from the file. I don't use it anymore, as it was difficult to find replacement hide parts, and the cost of a new one on line was quite reasonable, so I bought one. They are a handy thing and I use mine daily for bending heads on rams and bulls without marking the metal.

How are things in Perth? I'm just watching the WBBL cricket on TV with the Perth Scorchers doing it tough against the Melbourne Stars.

Anyway, here are the pics I found:

DSC_2397.jpg

DSC_2398.jpg

Thanks for the pics ausfire.

Mine measures 1.5" across the head openings. There is a guy selling pairs of Thor 1.5" hide replacement heads on ebay for $23.80 with free postage so I've ordered a couple of them. Hopefully they will fit o.k.

Here is a link if you are interested. 

[Commercial link removed]

Perth has had a return to winter over the last few days after being 36 degrees last Sunday! Strange stuff indeed.

Just watching the end of the rugby with England being defeated which no one predicted. 

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

Ive got one just like it at a barn sale for 5 i think 

i use it anywhere i need a dead blow works great. If you ever want rawhide for cheap just buy a rawhide dog chew and soak it so you can un tie it. Then you can unroll it flatten it out and use it for well.... rawhide . Make what you like lol

susan

Welcome to IFI, Mark F! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

In the US, these are made by a company called Garland in Saco, Maine. Here's mine, a #2:

937CE66D-E39B-45AC-AAD1-213D6037922C.jpeg

0436A534-091D-4E26-A693-8893E55D3ACE.jpeg

I got this from my favorite industrial surplus place in a box with some files, wire brushes, screwdrivers. $10 for the lot.

Replacement heads are about $20/pair, but I haven't had the need to get any yet.

1 hour ago, DuEulear said:

If you ever want rawhide for cheap just buy a rawhide dog chew and soak it so you can un tie it. Then you can unroll it flatten it out and use it for well.... rawhide

Excellent tip. I just saw some enormous dog chews in the store yesterday and was vaguely thinking that might be a possibility.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Welcome to IFI, Mark F! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

OOps. Have I done something wrong JHCC?

I am familiar with Garland hammers.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be available in Australia and having anything that heavy shipped from the U.S. these days has gotten ridiculously expensive.

Even the replacement heads are not cheap on line.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

OOps. Have I done something wrong JHCC?

Yeah, you can't post commercial links to the forum so send them  in a PM instead and it's all good. 

I'm not John and don't claim to be, I have my hands full enough trying to keep out of my own trouble. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Other than the commercial link, no; I post that link to all new members as a matter of routine.

57 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm not John and don't claim to be

Nor do I claim to be Frosty. Of course, there are those who would say I can be a bit cold....