I Forge Iron

Hide mallet

ausfire

Thor hammers made in the UK and available in OZ through Blackwoods, ebay and others, offers a variety of rawhide and copper face and even a combination of both in different weights from 0.285 kg to 2.8 kg. Hickory handles and replacement face. The hide and even copper can be replaced and there are instructions from Thor as to how to. 

Not flea market prices, but a tool that will last way past the time you forgot what you paid for it. 

Thanks marc. I was more referring to the split head style mallets. I have a Thor copper head and I know they do a split head mallet but they are different to the Garlands and Greg Steel with the big nut to tighten up the two halves.

I use a couple of cheap rawhide mallets in the smithy to adjust ornamental work without marring it.  Students call it "the stinky hammer".  Really shows the students who are trying to hold a piece on the anvil while readjusting the tongs...

OTOH I was teaching a beginners' intro class  yesterday with the "advanced students" using a different forge and anvils working on their own projects on the other side of the place and stopped and yelled over "Alright who burned themselves?"  The smell is quite similar.  Fellow had a piece bounce on him and singed a callus.  No lost time as minimal contact time.