I Forge Iron

How do you think this was made?

bfe1044

I am just getting started in the craft and don't have a lot of knowledge...can someone help me understand how the the knot work was made on this?...I find it interesting...would this be plate steel domed then raised from the back or would it be thick plate pushed back into itself to raise the knot work?...really like the idea of it but can't wrap my head around it just yet lol...any help well received always looking to learn more :)

post-53014-0-64939800-1399225175_thumb.j

the middle piece could have been cast or it could have been forged using a press with a die having all of the knotwork in concave and then a hot piece of iron is pressed into the die.

depends if there are a lot of them or is it a one off.

how you could make it is different

Maybe bossed up from the back and chased for the knots. Chasing tools of various shapes are made to set down (depress) the metal. It's different from engraving where metal is 'chiseled' and removed. When chasing, there is metal displacement, so the design calculations need to be worked out.

It's possible the raised design was pierced from a thinner sheet and soldered/brazed onto the backing. The design on the hinge looks like it would be very difficult to chase, so it would seem to be engraved or soldered.

Greetings BFE,

You can determine the metal with a magnet...  If steel it was probably domed and chased design..  The round bar work is simple smithin..  It does not look like a casting to me but I have been wrong before...   Closer pictures of both sides and possible origin would help..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

It is a door knocker that my wife liked all I have is the photo attached no other information :( sorry...I would be interested at trying my hand at something similar..I guess my question should have read more along the lines of how would you go about making this :)...I believe it is more advanced for my skill level but just interested in what processes it would take to make...I will have to check out the repousse

Cool, you only need to make one that looks like it. So, unless I had access to a machine shop with CNC mills I'd chase it. Start with maybe 1/4" plate and dome it up from behind, "repousse." (means pushed from behind) then chase the details in on the face.

The chisels to chase in the face would be a couple butchers and flats and planishers. The butchers would incise the edges of the raised knotwork to isolate it and set the field depth. The flats would drive the field around the knots down to level and the planishers  smooth it.

Forming the wire border would be a little more involved but not too. Same butchers to isolate the edges and fullers to round it into a wire shape. Punch and drift then fuller the bale and handle.

The other methods mentioned would do the trick too but require their own skills sets and tools. Take a look around IFI for the door knockers, some of the gang have posted pics of spectacular ones.

Here's an idea, cable/rope twist some stock, say 3/8" sq. and tie it in a knot with a finger loop to operate. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.