I Forge Iron

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Fisher 600 lb anvil added to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum collection.  On a custom cast base.  Total weight of anvil/base is 1150 lb.

IMG_20160229_102731768_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160229_101649863.jpg

IMG_20160229_102045053.jpg

The above 600 lb anvil was sold in 1927.  It came out of a railroad shop in South Carolina over 30 years ago.

Nice one Josh! Good thing I have plenty of anvils or I'd be feeling a little . . . Nevermind. I mean really who needs more than one anvil and I have two. I'm good, really I don't even want to make room on the floor for something like that. I don't even know why I look at other folks anvils anymore I should set you to ignore. <sniff>

I don't see the usual bolt eyes on the base, how's it attached to the stand, from the bottom into threaded holes in the base?

She'll be a beaut cleaned up, nice save Josh.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fisher only put the bolting lugs on anvils from 100 to 350 lb.  Some, but not all 400 had them also.  I have never seen them on any standard pattern over 400.

I cannot find anything holding it into the base from the bottom.  I think its own weight and good fit are it(and rust and time).  I have started soaking the rim with penetrating oil.  I will do this daily for several weeks.  I only want to get it out to clean everything up.  Then it will go right back in.

I drove 750 miles each way to get this.  And two nights in a motel.  NJ - SC - NJ.  

Oh heavens 750 miles and that's ALL you brought home! My heart fair bleeds for you, poor fellow.

If it's a tight fit in the stand rust will have it stuck alright. Expanding rust exerts enough force to break up concrete and split stone.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Has anyone from NJ Gov started talking to you about isostasy?  Your collection should be depressing the local bedrock by now!   I've seen scale build up and rust solid around smithing equipment; I hope it comes apart clean; it's a lovely piece(s).

I am slowly working on moving the magnetic field of the earth.

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Has anyone from NJ Gov started talking to you about isostasy?  Your collection should be depressing the local bedrock by now!   I've seen scale build up and rust solid around smithing equipment; I hope it comes apart clean; it's a lovely piece(s).

There's a spot on my driveway that rusted becuase that's where I always wire wheel. 

58 minutes ago, Forging Carver said:

There's a spot on my driveway that rusted becuase that's where I always wire wheel. 

And my garage floor is turning a lovely reddish brown from all the cutting and grinding for my anvil stand.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:57 PM, njanvilman said:

This is an example of what the original FISHER anvils looked like.  This is about 120 lb, made in Newport, Maine, between 1848 and 1852.  They were very clean looking, and obviously had great care taken when the mold was made.  Note the absence of markings where the top and bottom parts of the pattern came together.IMG_20160217_103415783.thumb.jpg.da49425

Hi, I'm new here and I am thinking about buying this anvil I think its a Fisher.. it looks like the one you have in you photo.. it weighs about 115lbs .. can you tell me anything about it ?? is it a early Fisher like yours ?? is $375.00 to much ?? thanks, JT

IMG_1376[1].JPG

IMG_1378[1].JPG

IMG_1377[1].JPG

21 minutes ago, JT said:

Hi, I'm new here and I am thinking about buying this anvil I think its a Fisher.. it looks like the one you have in you photo.. it weighs about 115lbs .. can you tell me anything about it ?? is it a early Fisher like yours ?? is $375.00 to much ?? thanks, JT

Hi, JT, and Welcome! 

Is $375 too much? Depends greatly on your budget and where you are. In some parts of the world, it could go for less; in others, a LOT more. I'm not a Fisher enthusiast, so someone else can address this in greater detail, but if you put your location in your profile info, you'll be surprised how many IFI folk there may be near you -- and we'll be able to give you a better idea if that's a good price for your area.

16 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Hi, JT, and Welcome! 

Is $375 too much? Depends greatly on your budget and where you are. In some parts of the world, it could go for less; in others, a LOT more. I'm not a Fisher enthusiast, so someone else can address this in greater detail, but if you put your location in your profile info, you'll be surprised how many IFI folk there may be near you -- and we'll be able to give you a better idea if that's a good price for your area.

thank you JHCC !! I up dated my profile some.. I live in Michigan..  from what is see anvils seem to sell very quickly around here ... JT  

• 1 month later...

Current stack of 20 lb Fisher anvils in the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  16 of this style in this stack, all dating from around 1885 to 1920.   4 of the mid 1920's style next to it.   Contact me for a personal tour if you are in NJ.  Check out my Facebook page for the museum.

IMG_20160726_131702061.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

FISHER Insonora Anvils, from the top, 32 kg, 50 kg, 90 kg, and 125 kg.  These were made by Fisher from around 1918 to the early 1920's, primarily for the South American market.  Most were exported, so it is rare to find one in the US.  It has taken me many years to find these for the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  The bottom one is the one in Anvils in America, pg 161. None of these anvils has much use.  There are no records of how many or what sizes they made.  If anyone has one of these, please post a photo with the weight, especially if it is a different size that what is shown here.  Thanks.                                           .IMG_20160811_162954720.jpg

I believe that  Nimbas are based on Italian anvils not the Fisher Insonora.  I invite you to investigate the large rich history of anvil design in Europe including central and eastern europe.  Here in the USA we generally are exposed to the London Pattern from our "historical" background but the Spanished arched feet and French "Pig" and Italian center block, double horns, church windows, etc seen in Europe is enough to dehydrate a smith from the drooling!

I recently acquired a nice Fisher stand with markings on two sides.  I put it together with this 1949 Fisher, 150 lb anvil that has never been used or struck.  Absolutely a 100 pt anvil.  The pair make a great combination.  This is what a FISHER anvil looks like that is factory new, factory paint.IMG_20160819_081314938_HDR.jpgIMG_20160819_081326958_HDR.jpg

Rust spots on the floor, or driveway, or shirt can sometimes bother some people. Others view it as a badge of honor, or perhaps a fashion statement or fashion accent.

One of the best chemicals to remove the rust stain and not destroy the substrate is a mild acid called oxalic acid. You  can often order it from the local druggist, or source it on the internet. I have salvaged several shirts & towels over the years. Warning: do not drink the acid.

Chemistry study and practice has its side benefits.

SLAG.

Please do not put oxalic acid into the laundry washer. Not a good move. I take the garment out put it on an acid resistant substrate (support), and spot treat the rust stain and flush it out a few times. For the last treatment, I leave the liquid on the stain for a day or so. Then wash it, then throw it into the laundry.

As always,

SLAG.

5 hours ago, CMS3900 said:

njanvilman,  is there a difference between fisher anvil stands marked on 2 sides vs. 4 sides?  My fisher is a 1934 that I weighed at 180# and it's stand is marked on 4 sides.

The earliest ones were marked on 4 sides, then they went to two sides, then one, and finally unmarked.  Fisher first made the stands sometime after 1892, and they made them until they closed in 1979.

Stands with 4 sides marked are getting rare, two sides turn up occasionally, one side is more common.  Crossley era stands were not marked.

5 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Josh,

Beautiful ... Another addition to Fort Knox/ Fisher..  Thank you for sharing such a wonderful example of what was available years ago.  See you at SOFA

Jim

Just wait till you see what is incoming.....