I Forge Iron

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An early custom FISHER for your viewing pleasure.  This anvil has a unique tall shape, with a very pronounced U cutout on the base.  It has a removable block that slides into the anvil into a dovetailed slot.  It goes in and out in one direction only.  It appears to have been used for drawing out stock, according to its shape.  I figure this anvil is from the 1870 - 1890 period.

Sort of a top view:

post-10347-0-85241800-1420064346_thumb.j

Picture of the base of the block and the slot:

post-10347-0-42638500-1420064374_thumb.j

Side view:

post-10347-0-22999800-1420064396_thumb.j

The anvil weighs 290 lb.

Josh Thanks for posting the pictures!

That is really unique, it looks from your pictures that the block either has a lot of sway built into it or its been worn down, can you tell which?

The angle you'd have to work the metal if you were drawing something out would be kind of awkward.  

A very cool find!!

I think the block was designed and made with the curves.  I do not think it is excessively worn, though there is some wear.  I will get a closeup photo taken and post it later today.  BTW, the block is not reversible.  It goes in and out one direction only.

• 4 weeks later...

New additions to the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  My haul from Gichner's meet 2015.  A nice 100 lb Fisher with factory stand,  a six point Star anvil, and a lot of tools.

Notable are two hand forged Froes made by the late Jud Nelson at demos at different Gichner meets.

post-10347-0-07134500-1422188311_thumb.j

I recently picked up this little 108lbs Fisher for my nephew. He was wanting to get started doing some light smithing work out of his garage and has close neighbors. So I thought this one would fit the bill just fine for him. Plus it was not very expensive. Yes it has some unusual wear on the horn but shouldn't hinder him to much.

post-35726-0-25547700-1422645864_thumb.j

This particular anvil, shown above, is now in the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  Nice drive on a sunny day in between winter storms.

I took a few photos of the anvil after I brought it home.  It is a 1962, NOS Fisher/Crossley anvil.  It has the factory paint.  Also, it has never been used/struck.  Absolutely MINT.  This first photo is the anvil with the year stamp that I got out of the factory.  This is the only year stamp I found.  It made the date in the mold that made this anvil.

post-10347-0-44608500-1423096852_thumb.j

A close up of the horn.

post-10347-0-61478000-1423096877_thumb.j

A close up of the top.

post-10347-0-42188400-1423096899_thumb.j

There are now about 10 Fisher anvils that are absolutely pristine in the collection.  These will be preserved as examples of what they looked like as new.

NJ, did you happen to catch that 5lb Fisher being offered on ebay? I wasn't sure if it was authentic or not, and the guy selling it wasn't sure either. It has Fisher Norris hand-stamped into the side just below the face, like the old FN anvils, but that doesn't mean much. Did Fisher always offer tiny anvils?

NJ, did you happen to catch that 5lb Fisher being offered on ebay? I wasn't sure if it was authentic or not, and the guy selling it wasn't sure either. It has Fisher Norris hand-stamped into the side just below the face, like the old FN anvils, but that doesn't mean much. Did Fisher always offer tiny anvils?

That anvil was discussed last week on the Anvil group on FB.  It is NOT a Fisher, and the seller has a disclaimer in the description.  Conclusion is that it was probably made by Vulcan, II&B co.  It is the smallest they made.  But definitely not a FISHER.