I Forge Iron

My FISHER items brought home from Quad States 2016 for the Fisher & Norris Factory Museum.  Starting at the top:  a #1 size 1850's Fisher, about 10 lb;  under it is a near mint 300 lb Fisher, dated 1941; to the right is a 40 lb, 1938 Fisher with different markings than usual; under it is a 1882, 135 lb is good shape; to the left on the floor is a badly battered 150 lb, bought for examples of my rating system in my future book, and finally a #3 Early double screw vise.

All of these pieces are in the building, and will slowly be organized into the exhibits.

It is very tempting to buy other stuff at Quad States, but I was good and only brought home Fisher stuff.

IMG_20160926_144544950_HDR.jpg

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Josh you're one of the only real attractions I feel for visiting NJ. I just have to wonder what it would sound like if an earthquake knocked over all those tall stacks of anvils. I wonder ho far away seismometers would register?

Frosty The Lucky.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You know Josh you're one of the only real attractions I feel for visiting NJ. I just have to wonder what it would sound like if an earthquake knocked over all those tall stacks of anvils. I wonder ho far away seismometers would register?

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a reason the museum isn't in California!

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Frosty The Lucky.

We have had a few minor quakes here in the East, but I swear I did not cause them.  Just a bit o' iron here.  My stacks of smalls are the ones I worry about.

I am bringing home a couple of bit missing anvils from the line shortly.  It will almost complete the collection of most known styles Fisher made.

5 hours ago, Lou L said:

Anvil tornado sounds frightening...

An anvilnado would take care of a pretty large gang of thieves. Heck the whole bad side of town.

I'd think a shot gun and double ought would be enough once the dogs let you know something was up. Learn something new every day.

Frosty The Lucky.

I could write a beautiful script to a soon to be classic B movie based solely on this thread.  Trying to work out how a young blacksmith has to learn how to do a fluxless forge weld with between a piece of titanium and a nail extracted from a chunk of the true cross in order save the world from the anvilnado.

On 10/2/2016 at 5:44 PM, njanvilman said:

There is security.  It would be difficult.  Leave it at that.

Seriously, I was talking about your methods of avoiding people who would pester you and beg desperately for you to sell one!  I have a strong distaste for thieves...bu your collection could inspire me to change my mind on begging, pandering and any other pity inspiring behaviors!

21 hours ago, Lou L said:

Seriously, I was talking about your methods of avoiding people who would pester you and beg desperately for you to sell one!  I have a strong distaste for thieves...bu your collection could inspire me to change my mind on begging, pandering and any other pity inspiring behaviors!

Most people understand and know that most of the collection will be set free in a few years.  Biggest problem is figuring out what to do with the original Fisher patterns and other things.  It would be terrible to break up that part of the collection.

Yes, everyone wants to take home a souvenir,  but no one has figure out how to carry out the 1000 lber yet.  

12 hours ago, duckcreekforge said:

I had read of the 6,7, and 800 lber. I knew you wondered if anybody had a line on a 1000 lber. Did you find a 1000 lber?

The line of London pattern anvils in the museum goes up to the 800 lb.  No, I have not found a 1000 lb of that type.  Fisher listed the size in their brochure, but I have never found any reference to one.  I was referring to the #10 Fisher chainmakers, which does tip the scale at just under 1000 lb.  It is the heaviest anvil Fisher produced that I know of, besides the BIG Centennial Anvil.  That one is located in the NJ State Museum.  Someday I hope to borrow it to bring to big blacksmithing events.