I Forge Iron

Is it a good deal?

So I have an opportunity to purchase a 120 lb JHM anvil, and a whisper daddy 2 gas forge both for cheap. The anvil is newish, and the forge is new in box, I don't know about the quality of either of these two items so I thought I would come here to ask. I tried anvilfire and havent received a response. Any help is appreciated, and when I do eventually get my gas forge and anvil up and going, I will spend a little time and introduce myself and other formalities. Thank you.

Add your location to your profile. There may be a blacksmith near your location that can go with you to look at the items and advise you in real time..

New prices on the Whisper Daddy was $660. 

New prices on the JMH 100 not the 120 anvil was $620

So your looking at $1300 new as a reference, Plus shipping.

Used prices depend on the seller and the buyer making a deal that is agreeable to both.

Thomas is right.  We need to know a little more about you to help you properly.  I assume you are starting out since you asked these questions.  First, welcome to IForgeIron.  The purchase, if the price is right, would be a good place to start.  The anvil may be a horseshoers type anvil and you can do great stuff with one like that, but I like to see you with a blacksmith anvil.   Many blacksmith's have the same type of forge. The price is critical and may be an offer you can't refuse.   A note,  Mr Powers is a Master Curmudgeon, but, once he knows you, he is full of information that will help you in your endeavors.  Good luck with your adventure into blacksmithing.   

He is asking about the quality. I guess I don't see where he asked about a Prius or a Dump truck.

Since you do not understand the example, I will attempt to explain.    the poster asked about quality of 2 unseen items. How is anyone to know about what we can not see.  New from the factory is not the same as buying second hand. also his being new means that he wont know what matters to effect value, as a experienced person will, when it comes to use effecting an anvil or gas forge being usable, a nick in the side of a forge may mean nothing, the same nick on the face of a anvil can mean a lot.   

Also an items preceded value is related in part to its intended usage.  A used space shuttle maybe be expensive, but if we cant fly it because its past its "fly by date"  its a lot of money to pay out for not being able to get to work if that was the intention. its only fit for salvage.

a forge is also dependent on what he want to use it for,  Stainless steel body armour for medieval dress has very different needs than a jewelry maker. also they are many other things we can do with a gas forge, and it is not one size fits all.

so it IS like asking what  to buy in cars,  hard to answer with out real information with the question.

Wow, ok.  Lets try that again.  The original post was made from my phone in a rushed attempt to find out if anybody knew anything about the quality of the items mentioned above, hence the short description of the items.  If I had a picture of them I would have shared.  I merely wanted to know if these items were manufactured in a manner that made them worthwhile products in general from people who may have had previous experience with them.  This seemed the likely place for that but I wasn't really expecting much beyond a "I've used them and they compare well with other seemingly well made items," or "don't buy them JHM produces ASO's and NC tool co. doesn't know a forge from a fire-pit." My phone has limited internet capabilities while at work so I was trying to use resources where I could find them and the only piece of information I didn't include was that it is a farriers anvil. 

I could find all the details about the items, but not any reviews so I looked here.  I did eventually find a thread about this particular anvil manufacturer but even that was bare-bones from what I could see.  Believe me, the price was right but since I can't get ahold of the seller, I'm assuming the deal is no longer available.  As far as what I want to do in smithing...start...I want to start.  I want to buy an anvil, a forge and a hammer and shape metal into whatever design satisfies my desire.  I'm not naïve in believing that is all it takes but I have to start somewhere.  I've been reading anvilfire.com off and on for a few years, bookmarking pages that sell blacksmith's tools and beginning a collection of books and resources that will help me get started but because of full time school and work I've been putting this off.  I'm almost done now and this opportunity came up so I decided to jump on it, but apparently not quickly enough.  As far as what I want to do with a forge in regards to making armor or jewelry, yes.  All of the above.  I want to be able to make anything and everything I need for the rest of my life.  That is a lofty goal I realize, but if I only learn a little and make a few quality items I think my time will be well spent.  If I can learn to supplement my income and replace my career with blacksmithing then my time will be really well spent.  I'm going to keep looking for now and if I think I need another opinion from you guys about a product, I will try to include more information about what it is and what I'm planning on using it for.

The responses you received on this post seem a bit snippy to me and I am sorry for that.  There really was nothing wrong with the way you asked your questions.  

In terms of your more complete posting, it is impossible to say whether or not those two items, now apparently lost to you, would have served your for all you blacksmithing needs for the rest of your life.  That depends on how far you go with it.  They would both, however, probably have served you very well as a beginning smith.  

On a google search I turned up this thread which presents a generally positive view of the anvil mfg. you asked about:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Also, these turned up:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/780850-JHM-anvil

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12787

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51241

Your first answer came within 10 minutes of your post. Yes in re-reading the thread the answers sound a bit harsh but before the thread is complete you will have many answers to choose from.

A farriers anvil is generally built for that type work, but can be used for other things. A blacksmith anvil is generally built for that type work, but can be used for other things also. No one said you could only have one anvil. The same with forges, some are suited for one type work better than another.

The more information we have the better we can answer your question. It is difficult to recommend one type forge and one type anvil that will serve you for the rest of your life. Your needs will change as you progress through blacksmithing and through your life. We cannot see into your future but we can encourage you alone the way.

There are many blacksmithing groups in Texas. You should look them up for both tools and information and the experience of the members. They are as varied as the individuals you will talk to, which is a good thing. You can then sample each and choose what you like. Keep asking questions and we will keep trying to provide you with answers.

I'll answer your question about the forge.  I had a Whisperdaddy for about 12 years.  Simple, fairly durable, having the piezo igniter is a good feature.  There are better/more efficient forges on the market now, but the NC forges are still a perfectly viable mid-quality mid price forge.  Parts are still available.  I only sold mine because I build a couple of custom size/shape forges to better match the work I do.

Whisper Daddy is about the best NC tool has to offer. Is an ok gas forge especially if you don't bounce it around in a truck.

JHM anvils OTOH are among my least favorite anvils. Their big competitor models are nice but their smaller horseshoers models have a few major design flaws. Rather than have 2 pritchel holes as most shoeing anvils do, they have only one and it's completely in the wrong place.

They also have turning cams. These are meant for cold shoeing cowboys and really serve no useful purpose and tend to get in the way.

If you just need an anvil go ahead and buy it but personally I'd pass on the JHM.

George

One of the anvils I have is a 125# JHM Journeyman, and like it. It was the one I loaned Zanshin while he was living in Las Vegas, and he used it to make several billets, and pattern welded knives on it. He mentioned that it was a nice anvil too. I actually see the cams as a plus for bending objects other than horseshoes.

I would say that if it was priced right, you buy it, and worry about the details later. Even if it wouldn't work for you , you could move it along to someone who could use it while making a profit.

I got my excellent condition JHM along with a single burner forge,folding stand with a spring vise, and 3 tool boxes full of tools, horseshoe blanks, and hoof repair epoxies for ...... $250. That purchase was a no brainer.

I would recommend a JHM. Being a farrier anvil doesn't bother me. Just look at what third world country smiths use-nothing even close to what we consider as a "real anvil".

Doing fairly light ornamental work; a modern farrier's pattern might be quite useful; doing larger work or work that doesn't profit from the specialized design, (like knifemaking), such an anvil might not be that great and even a simple chunk of heavy duty fork lift time might do as well if not better (and be a whole lot cheaper!)

Gas forges are very dependent on what you want to use them for as the chamber and the access need to be sized/designed for what you want to do.  A forge designed for billet welding might excell at that yet be nearly unusable for ornamental scroll work  and vice versa.

Thank you all for providing your input.  If I get an opportunity to purchase these two items I think I'm going to because they are no-brainer cheap, and I need to start somewhere.  If I don't end up purchasing them I will certainly do more homework on what to buy and if I need to ask a more precise question I will try to provide the necessary subsequent information.  Now that I've joined this site and that school is almost over I should be able to spend a little more time here familiarizing myself with this place and the information already provided. Thank you all, again.

I don't actually see where the intended use of an item effects it's 'quality'. If it is a quality product to start with, it is still a quality item, just might not be the best item for the task at hand.

If I asked whether a Brian Brazeal hammer was a quality hammer, how many of ya'll would say it depended on what I was gonna use it for?

I have a whisper daddy and it's a simple good forge. Never used a JHM anvil but it is also a reputable brand.

Your question was simple and straight forward, I don't get the prius or dump truck response. If some of the people on here spent the time and energy forging that they do wagging their fingers at new folks . .

Whatever you do don't ask about making a sword

It is not finger waging to ask for more information. Most of the people asking for more information have forged a lot, and they have proved it with their photos in posts.  After smithing a while beginners will begin to understand that one size does not fit all, so the more experianced smiths were trying to head problems off  This poster said nothing about swords, perhaps I missed that part?

the  prius or dump truck response refers to the need for more information when he ask for what vehicle he should buy. (What type anvil he should buy) What are you going to do with the anvil is very important in determining whether it is a useful anvil for that type work.

trinculo

Thomas Powers may have earned the Master Curmudgeon on the surface, but once you get past that false front, you find a unending resource of information and anything but a curmudgeon. Thomas has paid his dues both at the forge, at the anvil, and in life. I have seen him put the project he was working on down in order to help others. Curmudgeon - you realize just how big the joke that is once you meet him in person.

Many who post do so with knowledge, expertise, and hammer time as their data base. They are not armchair blacksmiths and never were. When people read their posts, the depth of their knowledge starts to become apparent.

The original post was valid, but lacked the information we needed to provide a good answer. The first reply came within 10 minutes of the post and as the post progressed, so did the information and recommendations. It is still early with only 17 replies so far. Please give it time to develop.

I highly respect the knowledge and opinions of the great number of people on here. I fully agree with what the poster's in this thread have said regarding needing more information to be able to say whether the anvil and/or forge would be good for the OP to buy. But I have to respectfully disagree Glenn. The OP's question was (and I quote) "I don't know about the quality of either of these two items so I thought I would come here to ask." His question was not about whether they would be great for him, or would do any specific tasks. It was a simple query concerning the quality of the tools.

To all reading this, please understand that I am NOT saying to not post your wisdom and insight. I learn a LOT from ya'll.

So I have an opportunity to purchase a 120 lb JHM anvil, and a whisper daddy 2 gas forge both for cheap

The original post was made from my phone in a rushed attempt to find out if anybody knew anything about the quality of the items mentioned above, hence the short description of the items.

He had a opportunity and a time limit. Both items are good products. We tried to get additional information so a recommendation suitable to his application could be made.  Additional comments should be taken off line. PM me.

I don't see "quality" as being an isolated attribute. I feel that it's really "quality for intended use"  As such the best made sledge in the world would be a low quality jeweler's hammer  and vice versa. (one of Brian's beautiful hammers is still a low quality spoon...)

If it is a stupid cheap deal then yes it's well worth picking up as "high quality trading materials" and try to barter it for stuff that would suit your needs more closely...

This is just my opinion; folks look at things in different ways AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!  Remember too that these posts are not made for just the OP---otherwise e-mail would be more efficient and so discussion are often made more general to address more points for other people to profit by.

And please feel free to dump on me; I date back to the old bulliten boards---remember when rec.crafts.metalworking was debating having a blacksmithing subgroup?  If I didn't have broad flameproof shoulders I would have been gone from the net decades ago, (well 2 decades ago...).  I know that I get crabby when my blood sugar is low and my fingers hurt in the mornings.  I try to only post on things I do have some experience in and after 30+ years doing a weird range of items I have tried some odd paths and researched some strange things---(though not like the folks who tried case hardening with diamonds...I have used the Theophilus quench though...)

Last R,,,Maybe this will help a bit about the quality, and believe me I think i know exactly what you are saying:

A fine Steak dinner cooked just like you wish it to be I believe would be a quality meal for wot it is intended for.  however that would  not be considered in the same part of quality as food designed for toddlers. Those examples are about the quality of the food for its intended use. And I  believe I have stretched a bit on the use of the word quality to say this...but it works for me.

Just though I'd mention: "Please don't go away!"  as I said earlier we need different viewpoints and it's easy enough to ignore a person's posts ifn you don't like them or their methods (sound or unsound).  (Just think of my poor kids being badgered into making proper questions growing up---there was that whole pickle juice episode back 20 years ago...my daughter came in from playing outside and had noticed we had soda pop in the refrigerator---a rariety for us!---and so asked for a drink.  When I went to the water faucet she said she wanted something cold so I got her a glass of pickle juice....she was welcome to have a coke; she just needed to ask for what she wanted!)