I Forge Iron

Junk pile?

My junk pile seems for be forever increasing in size.

Off cuts and general odds and ends. And stuff I think will come in handy in the future. I hope I'm not alone in this?

I've got a length of 4" box section with a plate welded on the bottom that just so happens to be the exact same size as my swage block. It stands a good 4' high.
I don't know whether to cut the box section up into quarters to make a stand for my swage block. Or use it to mount a bench grinder or what. - never the less I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

All the best
Andy

Greetings Mac,

In one of my past lives I owned an auto repair shop for 20 years...  My business partner and I went to an auction at a local car dealer that closed ..  I ended up buying a few things to include a 1ft square box of stuff...  My partner questioned my purchase but weeks and months later he called it my 2000.00 dollar box... Seems like when something needed fabricated in the shop I would go to the box and shzamm.   He said he must of billed customers 2k as a result of the box...     I'm with Glenn its not junk it's a resource. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You come back from the scrappy with *less* than you brought?????

It seems as if the topic has shifted from the scrap pile to Paul, a bit unfairly, I think...  I've noticed that there are more scrap yards that won't let customers browse/shop than will.  I've got to drive over an hour to get to the recycler that has a bone yard to pick through, and on the way I drive past at least 6 others that will accept, but not sell scrap.  

It's not a "junk pile," it's a "supply depot." :)

It's not a "junk pile," it's a "resource center."

My resource bin and my junk bin are two very different things. :P

I must say you Guys stated my thoughts my lil Barn is full and  over flowing yet I refuse to hull it off " I can use it "

;)

Sam

It seems as if the topic has shifted from the scrap pile to Paul, a bit unfairly, I think...  I've noticed that there are more scrap yards that won't let customers browse/shop than will.  I've got to drive over an hour to get to the recycler that has a bone yard to pick through, and on the way I drive past at least 6 others that will accept, but not sell scrap.

Very true mate. The one local to my folks used to let you wander around and buy but not any more. I got lucky with the one near me - fifteen minute drive away and not only is it huge but the guys don't mind me spending an hour rifling through the junk to find the jems! :)

Andy

Learn from your mistakes and failures.  I have had several moves since beginning this craft and have a sadly abrieviated pile of screw-ups.  I still have a few examples of what not to do.   Failure is a stern teacher.  I have round-punched eye-tools (hot cuts, punches, and drifts) punched and drifted with round tools.  The sides are too thin for heavy hammer work.  I still have a few other examples of good ideas and poor tool selection or application.  These failures have been useful for me.  I expect to make many more embarrassments before I cannot lift my hammer.