I Forge Iron

My twin baby girls

Neil Blythin

My wife & I welcomed our twin baby girls, Evelyn & Rachel, into the world this past Monday night... Unfortunately, they decided to arrive a few months early and were born at 28 weeks gestation.

They had previously been battling two rare and serious complications with the pregnancy.

Evelyn was 1280g (2 lbs 12 oz) and 37 cm (14.5"). Her sister Rachel was only 330g (12 oz) and 24 cm (9.5").

Statistically, Evelyn's chances are good. Rachel on the other hand has a very difficult road ahead of her. She is the smallest preemie they have ever had at this hospital (McMaster in Hamilton, ON) which is one of the largest neonatal units in Canada.

We've been told that, if all goes well, they'll be in the NICU for at least 12 weeks.

Greetings Neil,

I wish you your wife and your new girls well...   With the doctors we have today,  well , in a couple of years you will be looking over the anvil at two shiny faces.

My prayers for your family

Jim

Neil, your wife and Evelyn & Rachel are in my prayers. I pray for continued steady heathy growth in the girls and for patience and peace for you and your wife. I believe in miracles and your girls are miracles.

Mark <><

Joy to you on the birth of two daughters! Now, I pray for you and your wife to have peace of mind and a soul full of hope that all will go well for them as they continue to mature in the NICU and there will be no undue complications. May God bless you both with strength and peace of mind in the coming weeks. You're in our hearts and minds as we pray for you, Jerry and Eva.

Right you are Bryan!  I've been away from a computer for a bit, mostly checking emails and such from my phone - but I should have posted a few photos before now...

Here is Evelyn:

Evelyn_01-300x224.jpg

Evelyn_02-224x300.jpg

And here is her tiny sister, Rachel:

Rachel_01-300x224.jpg

Rachel_02-300x224.jpg

Thank you all for your prayers, best wishes and words of support.

Cheers,

Neil

Your daughters are beautiful Neil!  Thank you for the pictures.  Don't blink, it won't be long before they are asking to borrow the car and you'll be forging axes to scare away all those teenage boys.  Call me evil, but I literally had one young man shaking when he returned my daughter 15 minutes late with a piercing glance and asking if his watch was broke.

How are they doing? 

Thoughts and prayers from Another Canadian, our daughter came early and quite dramatically and she is now almost 5 and perfectly healthy. Soon you will look back and wonder where the time has gone!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all, it's been a while since I provided an update on the girls... We're about to hit a big milestone, as we're about to have our whole family home for the first time! Evelyn was in hospital for a total of 70 days. And Rachel is about to come home, at long last, after 135 days in the NICU.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2013/10/15/mcmasters-tiniest-baby-to-go-home-to-falls

Thanks again for all of your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement.

Cheers,
Neil