I Forge Iron

what you get for Christmas 2012

Pug}{maN

Socks, underwear and a Dremmel, the latter being of use in bladesmithing :) .  I don't however 'smith comando style :o  so the other stuff will come in handy too ;) .

TMI TMI TMI...LOL.  I got some leather working tools to compliment my delving into knife making.  Its been a lovely day with my wife.  I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day.

An Ellis 8VT forge!

It arrived christmas eve and I lined it, then put two thin coats of satanite, using a hairdryer as a "burner" for 45 mins to dry it out.. Fired it up for 5 minutes and let it cool in between coats.

Then today put a layer of bubble alumina on the bottom and up the walls half way.. hair dryer for about 2 hours and then just fired it for 10 minutes..

So I think Im getting the hang of it, even though all I have is a hairdryer at this point as a blower. . I'm pretty happy with the setup EXCEPT there were no instructions at all in terms of lining or setting up the gas/blower. I know I need a real blower to finalize the build but for now this hairdryer puts out quite a bit of air and I can get the thing roaring bright orange at under 5psi.

In terms of getting the forge burner set up correctly:
-What should I be aiming for in terms of sound/dragonsbreath?
-How will I know if I have my mixture set in the right range?

thanks alot!

~Steve

Deb and I got ourselves a new flat screen TV for the bedroom, I got a bunch of "T" shirts and a plethora of stocking stuffers. A set of jewelers screwdrivers, several kitchen timers, a Kitchen Aid grater/W attached container thingy, pens, flashlights, batteries, books, etc. etc. Best of all, Deb and I spent the evening with old friends and thoroughly enjoyed dinner.

On a side note. Steve: Forget the hair dryer unless you want to stand there a couple hours per inch. Instead hang a light bulb in it over night and it'll be dry as a bone, ready for fire curing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Best way to tune in a new forge is to get a fellow who knows what he is doing to come over and help in person. Why we suggest attending meetings at a local blacksmithing club---learn what it *should* look/sound like and go on from there.

However in general there is an optimum gas/air mix at any gas pressure for a neutral burn. I start by setting the gas pressure where I think it should be and then adding in air till I get the noisiest burn or the flame impingement is the brightest---this should be close to neutral. To go richer turn down the air *or* turn up the gas a bit. To go leaner turn down the gas or turn up the air a bit. Which type of burn you want depends on what YOU are trying to accomplish!

Just be aware that richer burns produce more CO as does allowing exhaust to be run back through the burner! As I often work higher carbon steels for knives I often run rich to help lower scaling and decarburization---so my forging area has 2 10'x10' roll up doors *and* a 1'x30' roof vent *and* open gables.

a pexto crimp/roller machine

post-12147-0-43281100-1356883003_thumb.j

a peck, stow & wilcox wiring and large burring machine

post-12147-0-30065100-1356883238_thumb.j

sitting on a small buffalo forge standing next to a tiger blower.

post-12147-0-05251200-1356883444_thumb.j

three post vise, two 50#, one 85#

post-12147-0-89706700-1356883543_thumb.j

and 12 metal forming stakes, i am blessed with a family that wants me to succeed at what i love to do. probably has nothing to do with the free art and metal work they get.

so all in all i had a great christmas and now have to figure out what all the stakes do and how to use the pexto metal machines.