I Forge Iron

peony gate

here is a gate ive just finished, its taken me ages due to me not thinking about it when i drew it!! i have learned much, as usual, which is the up side :) i still have to paint it black ...

post-4935-0-04333600-1341691366_thumb.jp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Beth, If its not painted, and paid for, its not finished. I bet it will look better when it is,

Looks like a good job, but I would have a few doubts re its rigidity and stopping draughts, There is even some nice forging in there, Bet Jake likes it, (wherever he is)

Well done

great stuff Beth!!!! Nice work, very balanced, nice details all round. And, nice to have you back, where have you been??? Have you thought about having it galv'd, then painted?

On another note, my 7 year old daughter's favourite song is "paint it black" by the rolling stones... wonder where she got that from, eh?

That`s a really sweet bit `o kit there Beth. I think you nailed the flower and love that spiral wrap in the center as well. It`s gonna make somebody VERY happy and hopefully they`ll hand you a check that will make you very happy as well. Thanks for sharing this with us.

thankyou you lot, one and all, for your very encouraging remarks :) that was a really happy read for me! :)
john, yes very funny, i reckon its not great as a draught excluder either... the main thing it has to exclude however is a naughty escapee dog, and i had to take his vital stats and make sure he cant fit through anywhere ;) but.. you know something, now, of the type of bodgery that is commonly behind my work, and rest assured that behind that wrap and the collars are some totally OTT welds, so i hope it will be rigid enough. it is a little on the heavy side though.. jake by the way john, still doing his fabulous thing in the back end of nowhere, still, and as always is a blinking wicked blacksmith and artist and massive inspiration to me. the man rocks. i know he would want to send his best and finest regards to you as well, if he knew we were talking of him :)
colleen, loving your daughters developing musical taste :) ive been really manic doing all kinds of things that life has thrown at me, so have not been on here at all really, hope all is good with you? hope work is still an enjoyable challenge? and your not TOTALLy disheartened by the rain on your stalls? and no, ive never had anything galv'd, what does it do to the surface do you lose much detail? and is it expensive? i know youve done some of your work... i only ever hand paint it, but am interested in what youve done..
woody - chum, thanks for your positive comments on the winging it factor :), some of us just cant seem to avoid it, but a very clever chap recently said to me that its the ONLY way to proceed, just to barge ahead with your design and find a way on the job, as to how to do it. gradually the technical stuff and the best methods will come. thats the hope anyway :)

ps frank - yes - the lady specifically said she wanted the gate to look light, she did not want lots of metal on it, oddly enough, but i get what she meant. i think really i should have/could have gone a bit lighter, it weighs a lot, but maybe next time.. i hope she likes it...

Beth, this is incredible! I look at it and see the symmetry and grace of the turns. I traced each of the twists and turns of the vines and enjoyed the wraps and splits and the ways they ended. I looked at this for several minutes before I even noticed the flower! It is divine and exquisite in the execution. If this is something you made without planning, all I can say is WOW!