I Forge Iron

peony gate

thankyou very much guys! there is alot im not so pleased with about this piece, but i think you must concentrate on the overall impression, and if she is happy then i will be happy too. im not very good at all at following a Plan to the letter, it gets me very anxious, i most often think in the morning i must Try to do such and such, im never convinced my days plans will work, and often have to change my mind as im doing it! i guess this will change with time and experience. and in ref to the design, the lady just said she wanted something pretty, with hearts and a loose petalled flower, and not too heavy on the amount of metal. so i drew her something, then made this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no teeny, no forge welding - one day though :) the small tendrils on the spirally bits are mig welded on, and the leaves and their stems are forged out of 3/4 inch square, not welded on leaves. i would love to master forge welding cos i think its very cool and magical :)

Hi Beth, Forget the hot dip galvanise finish, you will lose detail on the delicate bits. I would go with a hot zinc spray finish, (The gate from the car park rear entrance at Westpoint is done like this, and has not been finished with any other treatment, and there is no rust on it anywhere, the collars and all other bits still retain their detail) and you can if you wish paint the applied finish without the need for T wash or age curing or special paints,

Another problem with the hot dip galvanisers is the lack of respect and damage done to the structures they are working on, I have a long list of disasters (some of them very costly to tune of four figures, and their terms and conditions are watertight in their favour)

No, Powder coating is a different process, but could be applied over zinc spray if specified. Not much point though as painting will suffice,

In both processes, the item should be blast cleaned before application, Usually by same company. (powder coating may be pickled and neutralised, depend on company)

I have never had problems with quality of zinc spraying finish, but have had problems with powder coating despite the company having High spec contract approval,

The only items I have ever had returned/queried due to rust appearing within a very short time period, never had this problem when we just primed and painted these in our own workshop. Replaced the offending items with ones we had finished, no futher problems.

Powder coating can also hide details, Usually it is electrostically sprayed on and then baked in ovens to harden it off, bit like the old stove enamelling process.

WOW! Beth that is really nice! You seem to have a real talent for gate design! Terrific work! Hard to make a very secure gate (to keep that naughty dog in) and still have it very lightweight. Your design certainly looks light and airy! I bet it is pretty strong too as all those triangles will brace it securely.

thankyou big foot and travis :) i dont know about a talent for design bigfoot, i had to compromise my idea at every point becasue i couldnt do it properly!! anyway it looks pretty enough now. i forgot to say as well, this one is probably twice the size of the last one i made ( this is only my 2nd attempt at a proper usuable gate) its about 70 inches high and 35 wide so much bigger than that little garden fork one. thanks for all your comments you lot :)

Beth you did a VERY NICE job of working out those compromises! Maybe your apparent talent is partly perseverance and partly stubbornness? For sure, it is still quite apparent! You are good! I will love to see what you do as you get more skills! I hope that you get a chance to hang out with John again because I think you are a very worthwhile pupil for him and I know that he can teach you a LOT. You are getting it done NOW and more skills will make you a formidable smith and also much improve your efficiency! You are a very persuasive example of the POWER of artistry! There are many smiths with more technical knowledge and skill... but your artistry and determination make you, already, an outstanding creator!

WOW!! That is beautiful, Beth! I dare not show this to my wife until I finish the bed frame she "commissioned" me to make. I don't have time for a gate right now :lol: I really love the flower, the composition, the whole thing! :)

Beautiful job Beth. I think you nailed the "light and airy" look. it is impressive. The walk gate I am currently working on is about 42 inches wide and 50 inches tall and it is made to keep a small doggie in. I drew probably a half dosen drawings intil I settled on one I like (I get to choose the design and everything) It is massive and heavy compared to yours. I really like the flower.

thanks you lot :) female smith i will paint it today i think, and post a shot of it. not too many drips i hope...
mo is there any photos of your gate which i missed ? i chose this design too out of about ten i drew for her - and then i altered the last one a bit.. it takes a while doesnt it? all that drawing....