I Forge Iron

Show me your Forge

Glenn

Yeah, that would be about as good as a chocolate gun barrel. My furnace is cast iron capable, and I might eventually go that route, I wanted to try simple first. I didn't want to mess with the extra plumbing yet. I have a mullite sleeve at the house that may be perfect tuyere fodder for this. Worth a shot, anyways. This is not a permanent setup, I'm sure I will be rebuilding it many times.

Didn't see this thread until i already posted my own about the coke forge i just finished. Has a Lorance fire pot. I also installed an adjustable support on the fron for large pieces. The side draft is 12" tube, and the fire box has fire brick at an angle on the bottom as a sort of smoke shelf, it draws super well. The tube stands about five feet above the peak of the shop.http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

It will be dirty soon enough! Its only clean because i have been making adjustments to my arrangement, not forging. I just got my blower, and its a beauty, i will be forging like crazy all day tomorrow. I am so excited. Thanks for the comment drifter, i always am drawn to your posts, you and Grant aka naked anvil. He cracks me up.

Nice forge Ironstein! I plan to build a forge very similar to that. I like the fire pot, I also plan to use one from Lorance. It looks very similar to a picture I seen on this forum of Brian Brazeal's forge. I like the design, clean and simple looking. Nice job!

Now quit admiring that thing and go and get it broke in already......

I built it from scrap pieces of angle iron and some sheet steel i had laying around. I modeled it after Brian Brazeals set up. It just made sense when i worked with him. The side draft i made from scratch as well. I started with a sheet metal box i had left from a propane forge i was making, and i welded the expansion on the top, and fitted the 12" tube. Now that i have been forging with it, i love it, the side draft has excellent draw, no smoke in the shop. Brian showed me his set up and told me that it is better to have "loose" pieces of sheet for the table due to heat expansion. Thanks for all the compliments.

Until I get my home forge built, my main solid fuel forge is my demo forge. It's an ash plank box with a "firepot" made of 2 laters of soft fire bricks on the sides and bottom. Two upright bricks form a bellows shield (until we can find the right piece of soapstone to make a proper norse belowshield) and the 2-lung belows sits behind with the tuyer extending into the firepot. It's a 2-man rig and it runs on charcoal. My pictures below show the forge pot, belows and anvil, the forge in operation and a shot of the whole rig at a demo I attended 2 weeks ago (that was a great demo). This is quickly becoming my favourite forge.
Sam

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished setting up two more forge stations in my shop this past weekend. Thought I'd share a few pictures. The forges are old factory forges. One has a new vulcan firepot and the other still has the original firepot. The hoods are a "supersucker" style made from 14 gauge mild steel with 10" stacks. The large side draft forge is one I made a couple of years ago and is my main forging station. The other pictures are of my swage block stand with a short vise I also mounted this weekend and a couple of pictures of the whole shop.

John

18202.attach

18203.attach

18204.attach

18205.attach

18206.attach

hi...thanks big city....yes it is a mig and yes the feed was too slow.....i'm still learning to weld and had the feed set low and have been giving it a tickle up,next time i'll give it more feed and see how i go

what sort of extrusion do you do.......i work in a plastic extrusion making plastic pipe,been doing it for about 21 years

regards mike