I Forge Iron

What do you put on your hammer handles?

Winston

What do you put on your hammer handles?

I have been putting my linseed oil mix and it seems to seal, smooth, and add extra grip.

I would like something darker though. Not that it should matter, but I like to look at a dark hammer handle. It just feels more used. Maybe it makes me feel like I have actually been using them.

use the hammer and the smithing will give you the best color/patina. I leave mine sanded with 60 grit roughness and dirt from working.... Works and looks fine
Some people like to use Pine Tar for added grip.... I find I don't need it...

I agree. I rasp my handles to the shape I want then file any rough spots down. No finish. As I'm using them if they get built up with dirt, grime or whatever I wipe them down to take it off. I find if the handle sticks in my hand it causes problems.

The "authentic" aged look requires more fly ash & grease in the area where the grubby paw goes & more of a "clean" aged look up near the head & down near the end. Add a burn mark or two to please the connoisseurs. Don't forget to ding up the side of the head as well! :D

I have heard that used motor oil will help with sealing the wood, and i bet it would give the color that you are after.

I have also been told by older and wiser folk that they would soak the bottom of a fence post in motor oil before putting it in the ground to help seal the wood. They did say that the practice is not as popular because the impact it could have on the environment.

linseed oil and all of the above ,how do you keep your hammer head in place ,always used steel wedges ,a good mate down in orange told me about useing wooden wedges and a piece of steel tubing (steel tubing champhered and punched in sawn off and hit down flush)best thing since sliced bread , :D

I use the one longitudinal wooden wedge and one or two steel cross wedges and then SOAK the *head* in a shallow pan of linseed oil. Very dry here in NM, USA, single digit humidity is common! The soak in linseed oil helps keep the handle from shrinking. (Also I don't use a commercial handle till it's been here a year or so.---I buy them cheap when I can and then stick them on a wire shelf to NM-Season; so I always have some to hand for new tools or repairs)

My wedges are often hardwoods in contrasting colours and pattern welded steel bits; always have scrap around of both from knifemaking...)

Just this week I tried soaking head in antifreeze, I read somewhere (probably here) that it does not evaporate and snugs up real nice and tight . Makes sence to me so I tried it , we shal see.

A quick, down and dirty method to darken any wood is fire! I've used a propane torch or even the dragon's breath of my gasser to blast a handle. It causes part of the grain to blacken quicker than the rest giving a nice contrast. (Just like etching pattern welded metals) Don't cook it too long or you get a charcoal handle ;) Then just slather with Minwax or whatever and wipe off with a rag.
Scott