I Forge Iron

what makes a Hofi Hammer so great

EWCTool

Yeah ... I found out about the DVD at the end of a YouTube video where Hofi talks about his hammers (the video gave absolutely no useful information about how the hammering system works though).

So now ... after shelling out OVER $150.00 (after shipping) for this new hammer, I have to shell out more money for the "instruction manual"? blink.gif

That's 2 hits to my wallet ... I got a problem with that. huh.gif I don't appreciate those kinds of marketing tactics.

I realize Hofi hammers are hand made high quality tools, but I think that it should at least come with a pamphlet or instruction booklet explaining how to use the hammer properly. People could still choose to buy the DVD afterwards if they need a more visual tutorial.

As much as I respect all that Hofi has done to revitalize the blacksmithing trade and pass on his skill, I have to say that this experience has not left a great impression on me, especially when I think about what other tools I could have bought with that money instead. Instead I just ended up with a high-priced hammer in my tool box which I still don't use as often as my other hammers. I do use it, and I'll probably, gradually, use it more often (since I did pay a lot of money for it), but I don't think I'll ever buy another Hofi hammer.

For my future hammers, I'll probably look to Nathan Robertson or maybe even Brian Brazeal - I like the look of these hammers and I'm interested to find out how they feel. But I probably won't buy another Hofi.

Sam, I agree with you about the hit on the wallet. Went through it myself. At the same time, I just bought a hammer from Brent Bailey. It's fantastic and cost about the same as the Hofi. Didn't come with instructions, either(although Brent did spend a lot of time with me on the phone). If you buy a hammer from Brian Brazeal or Nathan Roberston I don't think you'll get instructions either. (Does Brian sell his hammers? I want one!) If you take a hammer making class with Brian you'll come away with a lot more than a hammer (from what I hear and can tell by watching his videos).

The thing is, Hofi is a fantastic smith with the certain style and philosophy. Just like any other smith, if you want to learn from that person you either have to take a lesson in person, watch a video or read a book. It's just the way that it is. You mention marketing - Hofi really doesn't market. Try finding a distributor for his products. He's not selling his system. He's a working smith who also teaches. He's selling a hammer of a certain design that happens to work with his style of smithing. WE market for him.

Someone made a video of him teaching about his ergonomic technique while he was doing a class here in the states and that is sold to people who are interested in learning more. Other smiths have similar instructional videos to teach certain skills that they feel they can share. It's just like any other DVD or book out there. Pay to play.

Would it be great if it came with the hammer? Absolutely! Instructions would be fantastic for those of us who are learning on their own. Maybe they'll just jack up the price and include the DVD? Who knows.

I was hoping to take a class with Hofi this past January but it was during the week and I couldn't get off from work. I would go take some classes with Brian Brazeal if I were closer. Maybe next summer. For me for now it's a book here, a video there, time spent on the forum. Most importantly will be hammer time and the limited time I can spend with other smiths (rare) at a hammer-in.

Anyway, just my impressions.

I'd like to say that any well made, hand crafted hammer, is as good as the next one. The style or design is what makes a difference and that is a personal preferance. I make hammers according to the clients preference for the steel and design they want. That being said, my hammers are as good as Nathan's, Brian's, Hofi's, or anyone else's, although my name might not be as well known. There is a way to use a specific tool, and a hammer is a tool. Buy what you want in your price range and learn to use it as it was intended. As always in the open market...Buyer Be Aware.

I do have 2 hammers made by Uri Hofi - Yes they work great for what I do with them and I also have other hammers I use on a regular basis ( my own forged and a few of Nathan Robertsons, and other no names I've aquired ). I pick and choose the hammer for the job and grab accordingly - if I don't have that particular one - I will make one to fit the need. Don't get hung up on a name - use the one you NEED / ONE THAT WORKS for YOU!!! - JK

I will make hammers if someone asks me to, but I am not in the hammer making business. I make them with a hand hammer and a striker with tools that I have made the same way. I charge $200 for a rounding hammer which is the simplest hammer to make. It takes four man hours to complete, but less than one hour to forge. It is also the most versitile hammer to forge with because of the dies that you have availiable with the surfaces that it affords. I would rather show someone how to make their own hammer, and for that I charge $200 dollars a day. The hammer is completed in half a day, and I show how to use it the rest of the day. I do not have any modern equipment or power hammers, and I know you can forge at least 3 hammers in the same time or less. My shop rate for production is $50 an hour, but I offer a rate that is drastically reduced for someone that is really interested in learning this ancient craft.

If anyone is fortunate enough to purchase a hand made hammer from Uri Hofi, Tom Clark, Brent Bailey, Nathan Robertson, or anyone else that actually takes the time to make a truly hand crafted hammer of superior quality, you should count yourself fotunate because there will only be a limmited supply. I am glad that I was fortunate enough to get nine hammers from Tom Clark because He is not making them anymore, God rest his soul. I also have a Brent Bailey sledge hammer that weighs more than 12 pounds that can do some serious work, and at $250 it was a bargain.

I will make hammers if someone asks me to, but I am not in the hammer making business. I make them with a hand hammer and a striker with tools that I have made the same way. I charge $200 for a rounding hammer which is the simplest hammer to make. It takes four man hours to complete, but less than one hour to forge.

<snip>

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the confusion. I've read on your other posts about you making hammers for other people so I thought you made hammers to order too. I shouldn't have just assumed. Again, my apologies.

Sam, I agree with you about the hit on the wallet. Went through it myself. At the same time, I just bought a hammer from Brent Bailey. It's fantastic and cost about the same as the Hofi. Didn't come with instructions, either(although Brent did spend a lot of time with me on the phone). If you buy a hammer from Brian Brazeal or Nathan Roberston I don't think you'll get instructions either. (Does Brian sell his hammers? I want one!) If you take a hammer making class with Brian you'll come away with a lot more than a hammer (from what I hear and can tell by watching his videos).

<snip>

You're right on that point that other hammer makers don't send instructions with their hammers either.

But, as far as I know Hofi is the only one who has made his hammer to be used specifically with his hammering technique - they're two sides of the same coin. And it's this ergonomic technique that is a major draw for some smiths ... like me ... that is, smiths who want to learn how to hammer effectively and not mess up their joints. I'm already experiencing some elbow pains, and I bought into Hofi's hammer hoping to learn this technique (which was strongly recommended by many smiths on IFI). I was very disappointed when I got no information about the technique at all with my hammer - not even a photocopied pamphlet.

I guess my point is that if we are going to recommend the Hofi hammer to new smiths, I think we should also inform them that buying the hammer will not include the technique - they're going to have to buy both parts separately. I have to admit that if I had known that, I probably would not have bought the hammer in the first place - I would have explored other avenues.

I'm happy to have a high quality hammer in my kit, but had I known then what I know now, I could have bought 2 Nathan Robertson hammers instead.

Yeah ... I found out about the DVD at the end of a YouTube video where Hofi talks about his hammers (the video gave absolutely no useful information about how the hammering system works though).

I bought a hand hammering video that features Amit Har-Lev demonstrating the techniques he learned from Hofi. I have the Hofi hand hammering video as well but think Amit does a better job explaining the swing mechanics.

Thanks for the info Thomas - I appreciate it.
I'll think about it
Cheers

Sam, just so you know, they DVD's are not the best videography you will ever see but worth the $7.00. They video conferences, hammer-ins, workshops, and the like and then put them on DVDs and sell them. You will have to got to their web site and then to their library to get to it. They have a ton of DVD, I bought myself 'Christmas' a few years back of several of them. You can definitly get some good info from them. And the $2.00 is shipping whether you buy 1 or 20 DVDs.

This is a quote from ofafeather:
"Hofi made hammers are great tools in a specific style. There is a DVD out there on the Hofi ergonomic system - I bought mine from Glen. Hammering styles vary so much. The Hofi approach is geared toward two things: limiting the impact if hammering on the body and maximizing the effectiveness of the hammer stroke. Mostly it involves increasing the velocity of the hammer by using the joints in your shoulder, elbow and wrist to create acceleration. The grip that he uses is more with his fingers than his hand. The handle is more rectangular in cross section, though some of the hard angles are removed. His fingers, loosely holding the sides of the handle near the head, guide the orientation of the hammer to the anvil. The basic stance has the hammer handle parallel with the anvil. The handle is short because a longer handle would hit the anvil in this orientation, especially if you are holding it closer to the head.

Someone mentioned using the edge of the hammer to fuller the material and that's what Hofi does. His fingers control the angle of tilt of the hammer and once it's heading in the right direction it becomes almost a throw - the shoulder starts it, then the elbow adds more acceleration, then the wrist. Lastly, he uses his fingers to the hammer pivot forward in his hand to get even more acceleration. At the moment of impact the grip is loose. A tight grip would put impact on the body and would also stop the rebound of the hammer. Because of the loose grip the hammer head is balanced. What they really mean by that is that the center of gravity is near the eye. Many hammers are weight forward on the main face. That means if you are using a loose grip the face would not stay in the orientation that you want. For other grips that's not a problem because you control orientation more firmly with the hand.

Hofi explains the rebound as being important to the start of the return stroke. He uses the rebound of the hammer to start the up stroke saving a lot of energy over having to lift the hammer from a dead stop.

That's kind of it in a nutshell. Not sure how well I explained it but there it is for what it's worth. That's said there are lots of smiths who produce amazing work with many styles of hammering and hammers. Personally I think that this system has merit. I am learning that there is more out there, though."

I think you covered it very well, ofafeather.

Hello Brian,

Hope you and Ed are doing well. I attended the S.Cal CBA conf when you and Ed met Alfred Haberman. George Dunajeski hosted Haberman as they both spoke German and were good friends. Tom Clark presented Haberman with a Hofi hammer he had made. Habermans only comment was that the oval in the hammer head for the wood handle was unnecessarily large. Otherwise, he seemed to be happy with the hammer. That hammer is an amalgamation of many styles that Hofi researched and developed a specialized technique for hand forging. I feel that we are all indebted to him for bringing that technique to the forefront as an option to hammer efficiency. Certainly, it is innovative, and it seems to me that many of those techniques can be applied to almost any hammer. Thanks Uri!

That being said...and having 2 Hofi/Clark hammers as well as various home made hammers similar to that style, I still find myself mostly using a 2 lb German style hammer found at a garage sale for 50 cents and made by a local blacksmith long gone years ago. New handle of course...

Hope to see you and Ed on the left coast sometime soon. Mississippi?

JE

Personally, if a master smith came to me and explained how s/he holds a hammer and how s/he swings it to get the best results, I would be interested. I can't really imagine someone not being interested. Knowing and understanding a concept gives you the choice of using it or not. Yeah, I'll take the instructions, thanks! :)

You're right on that point that other hammer makers don't send instructions with their hammers either.

But, as far as I know Hofi is the only one who has made his hammer to be used specifically with his hammering technique - they're two sides of the same coin. And it's this ergonomic technique that is a major draw for some smiths ... like me ... that is, smiths who want to learn how to hammer effectively and not mess up their joints. I'm already experiencing some elbow pains, and I bought into Hofi's hammer hoping to learn this technique (which was strongly recommended by many smiths on IFI). I was very disappointed when I got no information about the technique at all with my hammer - not even a photocopied pamphlet.

I guess my point is that if we are going to recommend the Hofi hammer to new smiths, I think we should also inform them that buying the hammer will not include the technique - they're going to have to buy both parts separately.

I agree with you, Sam. Fortunately, I was lucky in that it was made clear to me that the hammer only helps if you know the technique, hence buy the DVD or, even better, take a class with Hofi. Maybe someone will make a sticky out of the Hofi Hammer and Ergonomic Technique with detailed info. I have to say, I bought the hammer through Glenn. He was very helpful and spent a lot of time with me on the phone describing the technique. Guess I was lucky.

I think forums are great but there isn't always a concentration of complete information in on area. If you're lucky you find the complete info you need or at least know that you need to ask a question. It can be dangerous when you think you have the complete picture but don't.

Guess the other side of the coin is that you shouldn't have a hard time selling your Hofi hammer if you decide you don't use it enough. ;)

My question would be if you can use the technique without his hammer. I would love to get one of his but it just inst in the budget. On the otherhand blacksmith depot has a "Hofi Syyle" czech hammer that is within my budget. Could I get one of those and the video and get started and move to the premium hammer later?

Since I am new to smithing I suppose now would be the right time to get the technique rather than after i have ingrained several habits.

You do NOT need to pay full tilt for the Hofi Video ... you can either google "Rent Hofi Video" or go to the following link and rent the show for usually less than $10 ... it's well worth that much.

IMHO the technique is very straightforward and requires only constant practice (like a golf swing is demanding in that it is "different") until it becomes second nature.

My question would be if you can use the technique without his hammer. I would love to get one of his but it just inst in the budget. On the otherhand blacksmith depot has a "Hofi Syyle" czech hammer that is within my budget. Could I get one of those and the video and get started and move to the premium hammer later?

Since I am new to smithing I suppose now would be the right time to get the technique rather than after i have ingrained several habits.

Yes, Robert, you can. The technique of holding and tilting the hammer is as old as blacksmithing, also, the way of adressing the anvil from the side. Alfred Habermann would always start off any lesson with the hold of the hammer and the adress of the anvil from the side. I had been tilting my rounding hammer for many years at many different angles long before I had got around any other smiths. It just makes sense. You are reducing the suface area contact.