I Forge Iron

Bottle Opener

mcmonkey

The LINK to the pictures was not meant malicious. I did not know it better. In Austria is this kind of pictures up-loads usual practice. I did not want to release a panic with my first forum-tread:) - Sorry!

Perhaps there is nevertheless still feedback to the forging work.

greetings from Austria

Thomas

Nice job. Curious though, are there still a lot of bottles in Austria that need a bottle opener? Most bottles I see here in the U.S.A. are twist off caps. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I needed a bottle opener.

You can also use the user control panel to update your location.

Don't worry about your English. Even though my last name is Hess your English is better than my German :D

hallo,

thanks for your praise. Praise from the other side of the world is new for me :o

material 5/8 (16mm) square bar
rectangular bend
mark mouth and eye
drill the eye with 3mm
mouth cut, mouth must be a little bit longer than the head
mark the nose and model it
eye punch 10mm
collars crown simply cut with a portable circular saw or a Chisel, and bend accordingly
form the mouth
handle: torsion or other ornament
file the collars crown
surface: engine oil and bee wax

I hope it ist understandable. I practiced for a long time before the work procedures were correct:(

In Austria we are old fashionable:cool:. Therefore are many bottles without "twist-caps"

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
Curious though, are there still a lot of bottles in Austria that need a bottle opener? Most bottles I see here in the U.S.A. are twist off caps. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I needed a bottle opener.

BIGGUNDOCTOR, I cant remember the last time I consumed from a twist off. Soda bottles are plastic (I don't drink soda - scared of Diabetes!) and the kind of beer that comes in twist-off bottles is so bland that I would rather drink water or go dry. I brew most of the beer I drink - so twist off is not an option. When we go out - it's Sam Adams or Guinness (both need an opener - but I don't open them!) I had my first Sam Adams when they introduced it (probably 15 years ago) and haven't had a Bud or a Miller since - probably never will.

McMonky - Welcome to the forum. I love the bottle opener. I have seen tons of stuff on this forum that I want to try when the smithy is complete - Yours is the first that has inspired me to finally create a folder and bookmark the thread. Thanks for sharing. I will probably make some of those for gifts. It will be a nice small piece to practice on. Edited by Cross Pein
Forgot the welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

mcmonkey, welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here. Your English is just fine. No worries.
I really like what you have made. I will have to try it also. Thank you for posting. I look forward to seeing future work.
(small world, I have family in Vienna )

Mitch

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice work, I will have to make one for next time I travel to Darwin as the beers up there are big.....Trevor

Wow, I am impressed by both the bottle openers and how big Darwin beer bottles evolved into. :)

That would make a great head for a cane, that way when someone's doctor says to keep their distance from beer compliance would be easier. :D

• 1 month later...