I Forge Iron

Neighborhood Blacksmithing

I was talking to a smith today and we were talking about this. He gave what I considered to be pretty good advice. Make some trinkets and give the neighbors, they'll love you after that.

Not sure how well it will work with my neighbors, but I'm not sure there's too much they can do as long as I conform to the law. AFAIK, it's certainly not against the law to burn coal inside a forge in your yard anymore than it would to BBQ. I get a lot of smoke when I BBQ.

One of my friends lives in a pretty upscale neighborhood and he works metal and forges all the time and says he's never had a complaint from his neighbors. I was surprised those type folks wouldn't complain, I bet those princesses fuss like all heck to their husbands...:P

I'll know how they feel after I start forging at home which is gonna happen soon. I can't imagine them minding it after using my benchtop thickness planer for wood, it's so loud the worms crawl over to my next door neighbor's grass. There's no wildlife for blocks when I start that puppy.

Edit: words replaced to keep this a family forum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am encouraged about my neighborhood. I just met a smith that lives down the block from me. He has a nice shop in his garage and has been working in it for years. Doesn't look like he has had any problem with the neighbors. My set up will be a little bit different for a while though, seeing as how I am going to set up outside under a carport deal. It will be a bit louder I'm sure. We'll see how it works :)

Alan; I don't know where you live but at least in Columbus OH it *is* against the ordinances to produce any smoke or fumes that are discernable off your property, *except* when done for cooking or heating purposes; though you can get a burning permit, $25 and 10 working days prior to each time you fire up. In general it's wasn't enforced except when someone complained.

I had a friend whose neighbor did not like coal smoke and so we found out the details in a most unpleasent way.

Now I had a neighbor who used to call the fire department on me; but after the fourth time they came up flashing lights and sirens blaring to find me BBQing (we used real wood in our smoker) I think they had a talk with whoever it was about "false alarms and large fines" cause I didn't have any problems after that.

Thomas

Thomas

Alan; I don't know where you live but at least in Columbus OH it *is* against the ordinances to produce any smoke or fumes that are discernable off your property, *except* when done for cooking or heating purposes; though you can get a burning permit, $25 and 10 working days prior to each time you fire up. In general it's wasn't enforced except when someone complained.
I need to check to see what the regulations are in my area, but in the worse case a propane forge will do. I was told today by the instructor I'll be studying under that a propane forge will work fine for most of the type of stuff I want to do, he mentioned that it's only for fancy scroll work and/or larger stock where a coal forge comes in handle. But he felt strap hinges and tools and hooks, all could be done easily with a propane forge.
I had a friend whose neighbor did not like coal smoke and so we found out the details in a most unpleasent way.
I 'spose some of my neighbors might not like it, I don't know. When I BBQ I do put out a lot of smoke, I wonder if they could tell I was forging opposed to 'quein...?
Now I had a neighbor who used to call the fire department on me; but after the fourth time they came up flashing lights and sirens blaring to find me BBQing (we used real wood in our smoker) I think they had a talk with whoever it was about "false alarms and large fines" cause I didn't have any problems after that.
Interesting...the first time that happens I'm firin' up my DeWalt thickness planer by their side of the house. :P

Nah, in general I try to get along with my neighbors and not cause them problems. I think that mentioning it to them, that I am doing what I'm doing is probably the best step to prevent that. I like the trinket idea, make them something like a fireplace poker, and then if I do get p.o.'d at them for blowin' the whistle on me, tell them where to put that poker. :rolleyes:

Thomas

Thomas

• 1 year later...

I live in a townhouse community in a small town that seems to like to ordinance everything to death. I know the coal won't fly in the neighborhood due to the smell and smoke, so right now I rely on my gas forge. I am putting in a forge to burn coke which won't smell and has a very reduced to no smoke or charcoal. Charcoal won't smoke much and smels no different than a bbq cooking. So I figure if they complain about the charcoal burning, they better not start up thier BBQ.

Reb

The Civil War Blacksmith

well where I live in don`t really matter! LOL I live in a Very Rural place. My neighbors haven`t complained yet. But i always try to quit before 1:00 in the morning LOL. the closet neighbor is my grandma. I try not to use my treadle at night cause my granny says she can hear it . :rolleyes: But mom and dad don`t hear it and their awake in the living room and our house is about 50 ft. away from the shop and Granny`s house is about 100 yards away LOL:rolleyes::o
Thanks,Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I rent from and live next door to my aunt about 40 yards away and the neighbor on the other side is gone all day. I'm retired so all my work is done during the day when the neighbor is at work.I pay my aunt off by helping out around her house:) and making the odd plant hanger, screen door handle, etc....No complaints from either one so far. Nothing behind me but woods for miles and no one across the street.
We have more problems with bears getting into our trash than we do with the folks living on our street.

I spent 15 years in the old inner city of Columbus OH where my nearest neighbor's house was close enough for me to lean out my window and spit on her house; she was the one I got on well with.

My house had a double lot so the other neighbor was about 40 feet away but it was a rental property and they were always causing trouble for me.

I *really* *really* like living in the country now!

I live in Grafton, Ohio (the actual township), so the houses are pretty well smashed together. So far, I've not had any complaints, even when neighbors were outside while I was forging. I hope they give me some time before they get upset, as I'm not quite good enough to forge bribes yet. :D

Just an idea, a higher flue/chimney might help. If it's low, the smoke hasa habit of staying, but 3-4m(~10feet) up in the air their might be a light breeze which will help carry it away.

Also, after 9am and before 7pm it's generally ok to make as much noise as you want, but within reason(ie. 1-2minutes with an angle grinder, not 1 hour non stop)

I suppose I got lucky with shop location. I live out in the county so I can do pretty much anything I please as long as its on my property. As far as neighbors I have 3 One across the street and over 100 yards or so, another about 50 yards from the house and on the other side one about 500 yards but with a, and I quote, " Redneck taxidermy, butcher, general auto repair, and odds and ends repair shop." I've had the cops called once for an unrelated event loud music on the fourth of July. Forget they had illegal fireworks and we had no problem with it lol. I just make sure to shut down before 10 p.m which isn't a problem for me. Though I may try the trinket deal just to be neighborly.

Course I scare almost all the neighbors anyway, which if I must say, I'm a pretty nice guy most the time v.v.

~TS

outer boonies here too, nearest neighbor is over a hundred yards. After that you start talking mileage, LOL . Never hurts to neighborly never know when the neighbor's tractor will be needed to get you out of a mud hole.
Finnr

I live in the middle of the city with 7 neighbors within a distance I could hit their yards with flux from forge weilding if I wanted to. Although I have decided to use charcoal instead of coal for the forge I am going to seriously deaden my anvil and if anyone gives me issues I have a fire police office living with me and helping out at the forge so I do not see any issues to date except I will realy need to be carefull when I am forge welding :)

I live in a 1st ring suburb just south of Minneapolis with neighbors all around. Also, I rent. My landlord let me set up a shop in the backyard behind the garage. My neighbors think it's cool to have someone "odd" around.

Paid careful attention to the fire and noise ordinances and don't work before 9am and after 4pm.

I handed out some hooks and there are no problems. I also roast coffee for several people around here. That helps a bit.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

All the smoke from a coal forge is one reason i decided to use a gas forge. And, I do all my hammering and grinding in my garage, so if your outside it doesnt sound much louder than my dad's truck. But my neighbors only have about 15-25 feet away from my house, and they dont ever complain about my working.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought a house inside Talladega city limits (Alabama) about two years ago, and have been forging off and on in the back yard. Its a rather poor area and my neighbors are friendly so no problems or complaints. And I don't think there are any ordinances regulating fires unless they are over a certain size. Except when there is a drought. I would say, and have always just gone ahead with what I need to do and let the regulations catch up later.

Then you can just apologize and conform. :P

• 7 months later...

After reading all the posts on neighbours and forges the one theme that shines through seems to be consideration and cooperation. Or being good neighbourly. I talk to my neighbours about my woodwork, metalwork and blacksmithing as well as loud parties i like to have. I try to offer compromise and flexibility. All my neighbours have my phone numbers, and will call me before calling the police or fire brigade. As a result we all get on very well, and trade fruit, vegetables, repairs and the like over the fences. We live in the middle of suburbia, but have created an old fashioned country town vibe by being fair and understanding of eachothers different lifestyles

I live in the suburbs with 4 houses backing onto my property all relativley close, 1 is occupied by a cabinet maker who runs his business from home so he cant complain about me hammering away when he plains/cuts/sands all day long. One is a former member of the Australian Blacksmith Assoc so no problems there. One is from a middle eastern country and none of them speak english (I have tried to say hello but no joy) so no problem there, and the last is a drug smoking dropkick (I smell the stuff sometimes) and he dare not complain about the noise. I mean I may be a blacksmith (correction trying to be one) but I'm also a policeman so its in his best interest to put up with the noise if its ever a problem (may just think its in his head anyway.............. "arrgghhh THE BELLS THE BELLS") All honesty if anyone complained I would do my utmost to alleviate their concerns (within reason) A man has to make noise sometimes.

I live out in the woods and have neighbor's on both sides of me. And I would imagine the one neighbor is mad at me for waking her up for the last ten weekends. But I drive trucks and only have one day a week to do my thing, I will normaly wait till eight or eight thirty then start. When I go out after I'm working for a few minute's I hear her dog barking . so I know I woke her and she's let the dog out.. She called in on me one time over my dog's instead of calling me and telling me there was a problem. She didn't know that we had a good friend that worked at the dog pound. and got the call from them right after she called.

I have no problem with neighbours here. I have ten acres of land with about seven of it cleared (and about six of it I mow!.:o.. I know, I Know....LOL). My house sits just about dead center of the property so I doubt I could disturb my neighbours too much.

Terry

i live in a small town and i have had the cops come to my smithy door asking some rather iretated questions( no doubt the complainy called many times ) but when i took them in the shop they had a look around and seen what i was doing and had no problems with leaving me to my work and well if the neighbour doesn't like it she should have done a little reserch on her neighbours befor she perchesed the house , besides there used to be 2 smiths in town here not 15 years ago, i see there work evry day.

I live right in town and work from my garage, I haven't had any complaints and I have a firie who lives right across the street. I use coke in my forge and it doesn't seem to create much smoke, but come Winter time it's a different story with our house having 3 open fires, a slow combustion stove and an outside fireplace, its smoke central. I haven't had anyone say anything about the hammering but the other week when I had to really pound on some stainless steel, I thought there would be but everything was sweet.