I Forge Iron

place you conduct your work [ eh play eh whatever ]

Well, I usually call it "the forge," but I also call it "the shop" as well. But the building it's in has been known as "the hanger" for longer than I've been alive, so sometimes I call it that. It's an old barn on my property that at one time in its existance housed a Piper Cub. Lots of names, one place.

Must be the frogs connection....same as FrogValley - depends on who I'm talking with. Usually I refer to it as the shop because I do all kinds of stuff there. My wife calls it something else, but we don't need to go there...:)

I don't call it the shop because that's where you nick out to to get a loaf of bread or pint of milk! ie not the place to go to immerse yourself in your own little world. "Workshop" is OK I suppose but it contains one of those four letter words. I can't imagine going to the workshop to indulge in a bit of fun, mucking around with hot metal or a lump of fine timber. "Funhouse" ...now there's an idea. It's been The Shed for so long now I don't think I could change. Besides there's a lot of Australian literature about 'men and their sheds' and God forbid if I was un-Australian eh mate?

I'm not sure what Richard was alluding to but my wife suggests there must be a few ladies of ill repute that visit occasionally. I really don't know what she means :rolleyes:.

Mine is a bit different than most. I have 40x50 barn and the knifeshop(12x24) is in South East corner of the barn. Blacksmithing, forging, bladesmithing part is in the front and west side of the barn.

So we have a shop and barn.Grin. You don't even want to know what the back of the barn looks like.BOG. Kinda looks like someone landed the PIPER in it.grin.

Chuck

The Garage at least until i have time to build a Shed behind the garage. After I build the shed dedicated to Metal work then I think I'll call it "Cook's Corner Forge"! I maybe an amateur but I've got style, understand thats not what my wife calls it but.....

• 3 weeks later...

I call mine The Barn because that's where I do it. :) I wish I did this professionally and then I'd probably call it The Shop or The Forge. Maybe someday if I can get out of the computer programming racquet and actually get enough time to forge more than one item in a month, I'll actually be able to call myself a professional smith. :)

rvb

yeah. computers kind of become your life for some reason. it's definitely not a 9 to 5 job. after that and mowing 10 acres and doing the honey do's it doesn't leave much time for forging. but, i try to keep improving and make time for it. it's just so dang fun!

rvb

About 3 yrs ago I took my 14yr old nephew with me to a demo and he overheard me telling a spectator that this was the most fun thing I've done in a long time.My wife took him home later that day and he ask her if that was the only fun you got to have when you got old!
Guess I'll have to show him how to ride a shaving horse!