I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

If you could provide a clearer picture of the stamped numbers, that'd be great. Is there any kilogram abbreviation marking next to the number? That could at least narrow it down a little, but if there's no other markings, you might never now who made that anvil.

Cheers!
Julian

Thank you for your opinion. What can I say for sure: 1. This is a North German anvil. 2. Her weight is written, 14( ) kg. 3. It is forged, numerous joints of different pieces of metal are visible. 4. It has been in use for a long time. 5. There are no manufacturer's stamps on its sides. 6. Its lower part has been in a humid environment for a long time, strong elements of corrosion are visible. 7. Both horns were practically not used. 8. That's all I could see. If you have any idea how old it is and who the manufacturer is, I would really appreciate it!

Yes, it is clearly forged and a North German pattern. That puts it in the ballpark of at least the first half of the 20th century. After the second world war, there remained only very few manufacturers of forged anvils. F.W. Krägeloh was one of them, but I don't know, if they ever stopped putting their markings on anvils or if they changed the lettering at some point. If you've got a "kg" marking, then it is probably not Krägeloh and might be pre WW2. But it is really difficult to say, as there were dozens of anvil manufacturers around and only a few famous/ larger ones are still known or identifiable by their markings.

And again I doublepost, hopefully it combines the posts automatically again.

That's an anvil I own, no other markings than the weight. Does your "kg" marking look similar? Or is it in a different lettering or in capital letters?

IMG_20221228_143917.jpg

IMG_20221228_143803.jpg

I'm afraid that the picture opens only really small and I cannot make out any kind of marking. Larger and clear pictures of the anvil would be really appreciated!

Krägeloh usually stamped the number of the fire in which the anvil was forged onto the piece as well. Their weight stamp also seemed to consist of a number and then "Kg", with a capital K and lower case g.

Please be careful though, all my statements are based on ongoing research and are still not yet founded on a broad enough basis of scientific evaluation. There might be deviations in or changes from their "standard" procedure.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, wirerabbit said:

I do not have a copy of AIA, so I can't tell you its composition

Wirerabbit, AIA has a copy of their specifications that shows the model 804-7-2 a 75 lb. cast iron anvil. They also made a model 804-7-5 that was 75lb. ductile iron.

Great, thanks! 
You can clearly see the capital K and lower case g. 
Also noteworthy: The number of the fire, marked with a capital N and small but underlined o, followed by a large number. If nothing else is visible, you can identify Krägeloh anvils by the fire number stamp. 

Cheers! 
Julian

Hey everyone just checking out your site for info on a anvil we recently picked up on a job, from what it looks like it was used very little. It’s obviously a Colombian it scales at 101.2lbs. Has what looks to be a “z” on the left of the M and I haven’t found any information about what that indicates. I’m hoping with all the knowledge the users here have I might learn something. 
Thanks

As you said it's a Columbian and in excellent shape, from what I can tell from the pictures. They were top tier anvils manufactured by Columbian hardware Company, Cleveland, OH

I'm not positive but I think the Z & M are batch of the cast and team of workers markings when it was made. I read that somewhere but for the life of me can't remember where maybe Anvilfire and the computer that I had a lot of that info crashed years ago and all the data on it was lost. Or it could have been my mentor, Master Blacksmith Isaac Doss who had a 400 pound Columbian that I pined for, after he passed away but the family wouldn't let it go.

The only other thing I can add is I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened steel face, which does more harm than good.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

I knew I saw something one here somewhere… in an old post it states the “M” mark signifies 100lbs. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen something about the “Z” mark as well, but couldn’t find anything quickly. Someone with access to “Anvils in America” may look it up, if you ask nicely…

Keep it fun,

David

Thanks for the input guys appreciate it, I put a straight edge on the face and it’s perfect. I won’t even touch it with a grinder or a wire brush I’m thinking that the paint is original, my dad was a machinist/ tool designer by trade so I have some knowledge of working with iron. 
I have some pics I want to share with you guys because I think we all appreciate our heritage, I reclaim and reconstruct the buildings and you guys are keeping the methods of working iron into usable goods that’s awesome !!

Having problems loading the pics for some reason 

It could be a file size issue when loading the pictures. Over 300kb usually causes issues.

Are you going to put that anvil to good used! If you’re interested there’s lot of info here on start out at low cost. (It’s great fun, and fairly addictive!)

Keep it fun,

David

Pretty Columbian, Timberframer. I enjoy the heck out of my little 75 lb'er.

Not sure about the original paint; I've seen painted anvils before, but I'm not sure that many came painted. II have no issue with paint on one, you do you, unless I'm buying one, in which case I tend to be suspicious of hidden flaws. Tends not to last well though if you like to use the various parts of the anvil besides the face though.

This is my anvil that has been passed down by my grandfather on my dad's side and the stump it lived on below it.

IMG_20231212_094929085.thumb.jpg.13eb0f9212bdf4793ba525004d0746a5.jpg

It has had a hard life on a dairy farm with plenty of dings as it has manly been used for cold work and maybe occasionally used with metal that has been heated with an oxy.

There are no markings on it so I don't know what brand ect it is but it doesn't matter anyway. It is sitting in my shipping container waiting for me to set up a work shop which is 12+ months away.

One of my uncles on mum's side has an anvil from my other grandfather which is in way better shape. He was a sheep farmer who loved tinkering and metal work. Unfortunately he passed before I could be taught by him. My brother had put his name on that anvil but I have recently been talking to him and he said if I set up a work shop then I may a well have it and he will come visit it

Cool family story.  There is something special about using tools that have been in your family.  A year or so ago my cousin sent me my grandfather's tool box which my aunt had had until her death at age 103.  The only tool in it that I can use blacksmithing was a small ball peen hammer but there is something cool about using it.  I was named for my grandfather and he died when I was 8 but I had been close to him as a small child.  The tools had not been used since 1954.  My cousin felt that I should have it since I was his 1st grandchild and his namesake and that I am a "maker" like he was.  It will go to my son when I am gone.

GNM