I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 1 month later...

Howdy folks, y'all seem to be the ones to seek for help with all things anvil so here's mine. I've had it on the floor in the shop for years and never really paid any attention to it until I needed to pound something out and had to move it. Holy cow this thing is heavy!?! 

So I went down the rabbit hole like l had an anvil tied to my waist (ha ha) and found out it's a Hay Budden. Pretty cool... Then I start cleaning it up a bit and here's a serial number. Looks like 69056 which means nothing to me. I did find the numbers 4 and 0 stamped under the Brooklyn mark but the center digit is gone. The anvil is 31 inches bow to stern and 4.5 inches wide on the plate. It stands 12.5 inches high and the base is 12w X 11d. I can barely move it around on the floor so I'm assuming perhaps incorrectly that this thing weighs 400 freakin pounds?

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated as smithing will be my next trade to conquer if my wife will allow it. It's only fire honey what could possibly go wrong?

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

IMG_8545.JPG

IMG_8540.JPG

IMG_8571.JPG

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

IMG_8556.JPG

Welcome aboard lifeislarge guy, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. That's IN THE HEADER, not just mentioning it in a post. Hmmmm?

That old beauty looks to be in excellent condition provided it hasn't been through a barn fire or similar. Have you don't a rebound test? Drop a bearing ball from about 10" and note how high it bounces back as a %. No need to drop a big bearing, 1/2" is plenty. 

Have you put it on a bathroom scale? That'll tell you a lot even if it maxes the scale out. 

It's weight doesn't make much if any difference if you are going to use it though. We'll be more than pleased to help you with making a good stand so it's at the correct working height for YOU.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the reply. Man, now you've got me really geeked out. Found a steel ball bearing and then gave the plate a quick blocking with some 80 grit to remove years of dust and filth and lo and behold it bounced. It bounced higher than the height at which it was dropped and just kept on bouncing until it fell off. I really hope this is a good thing as I really have no need for a paper weight of this stature.

As for weighing it, that's a negative Ghost Rider. I can barely move it let alone lift it and I have two herniated disks from lifting heavy shit already. I seriously doubt my bathroom scale could handle it without squishing into a million bits of Chinese bathroom scale. I have a 2 ton gantry so I think I'll ask around (TPAAAT B)) to see if anyone I know has a scale for a crane. I'm usually the guy who has two of everything so you know I'll be on the lookout for one now.

Question... Should I sand blast this thing to clean it up? I live right next to the ocean and old iron can flake pretty good if not kept well. This one isn't bad at all but I was curious.

IMG_8573.thumb.JPG.e827a921bed856d4c8fa56fcdc24dab5.JPG

NOOOO!:o No sanding, grinding, etc. on the face plate!!! You're removing years of life that can not be replaced. Wire brush the body and oil or my favorite a good carnuba paste wax while the anvil is warm. Hammering HOT steel in the face will shine it up nicely.

Lifting it is easy. Find something that'll support more than you think it ways, say 500-600lbs. A sawhorse directly over one set of legs should do nicely. Make a sling around horn and heel that loops over a 2x4 on edge. With the horse say 2' from the anvil and say 6' on the other side you can lift it like it weighs nada. Pivot to the side and ease it down on the scale. 

Most bathroom scales read more than 350lbs, newer ones go higher. If necessary place two next to each other and place the anvil half on each one. 

Of course you could just use your boom. Of course I wouldn't have gotten to talk about ways to lift heavy stuff without busting the old chops. Lots of guys out there who haven't read this from me before, you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

1901 would be the date it was made (69056) serial number. Yes the 4 ? 0 should be the weight when made so 4 hundred something pounds is a close estimate. It's a great looking Hay Budden. Should give another century of outstanding service.

A coating of BLO (boiled linseed oil) would also protect it from rusting and if it isn't being used wipe some ATF on the face.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

BTW: A good place to find a good working bathroom scales, are places like Goodwill or Thrift shops and yard sales. I found the one I use in the shop for around $10 U.S. about 15 years ago. I just tested the scale to make sure it agreed with my weight at the time 205 lbs. I know at 5ft 7in I was a little chunky and it still works and I'm at 178 lbs now.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anvil/vise combinations like this were made for one very simple purpose: to take advantage of the late 19th century mania for gadgetry in order to sell more tools. You are right; they don't make very good anvils, and I'm not even sure how good they are as vises.

Yeah I wouldn't hit it with a hammer, maybe a jewelers hammer and some copper or silver would be the best combination on this little toy.

Thanks for enlightening me. It is really just a gimmicky gadget.

Straightening nails on the "anvil face" and maybe light vise work is about all it's good for. Maybe set one by the wood stove and let the grandkids crack nuts on it with a wooden mallet and squeeze crack Brazil nuts in the vise. It looks good and would make a nice decoration but it's not a working tool of any note.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Oh, that is a lovely anvil!  Of you don't mind my asking, how much did you have to pay for it? I have no idea how much anvilos sell for in your part of the world.

By the way, nice shop.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

14 hours ago, Kenny O said:

validation that this is just an ornament

Exactly. This is what we call an ASO. (Anvil shaped object) might look like one but is Far worse than just a solid chunk of steel to use as one. 

A lot of times the vise section is missing and people try to sell them as anvils. 

It is neat but not so useful. 

Voldemar,

That is a very good price by American standards.  Here, it probably would have been $US 4-6/ pound ($US 8-12/kg).  From what our European members have said it seems that anvils are more plentiful and cheaper and post vises are rarer and more expensive on your side of the ocean than they are here.

We'd love to see some photos of your work.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard VoldemarDemid, glad to have you.

An S&H as in "Söding & Halbach" anvil? She's a beauty, The makers have been in business for hundreds of years and have a very good reputation. I call it an excellent buy, especially for the price! As said already anvils are more expensive and less common this side of the planet. People finding a good anvil for only $6/lb here tend to brag about the deal they got. 

That's a really nice looking shop you have, nicely laid out. I could work in it easily with minimum adjustment.

Is that a gas forge / furnace in the background of the last picture? Do you work out of the other end too? It is much taller than you'd see in a blacksmith shop over here except for a special purpose forge / furnace. What kind of gas does it burn?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi!

Nice anvil, could you post a picture of the makers mark and date? That'd be great!

It is ridiculous to see the prices the "bigger" tools sellers on the various platforms are able to call up. I've seen anvils that have been up on the German small ads sides for around 300-500€ been offered up and sold for 2000$ in the US. But where there's a market...

Cheers!