I Forge Iron

1st cross

This is my first attempt at a Fredrick's cross.

8 1/4" of 1" sq. stock. I already had a piece cut that long or I would've used an even length.

Overlap in the slits was 5/8" and is way too much, it took me nearly forever to even the thing up and it's still a lil cattywompus.

You can see the steady progress in the fleur d Lis.

Finish is hot wire brushed, rewarmed till the colors started running and waxed with a mix of paraffin, soot and turpentine.

I made it for a friend who lost her husband suddenly on a vacation trip to Laos. I'll give it to her when she's up to visitors, maybe hang it on her gate as a surprise.

The thing's being a pain to photograph.

Frosty

9660.attach

Very nice Frosty. I especially like the fleur d Lis. Hope you are keeping warm up there...
Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

I was wishing I'd taken a couple pics of the one Jim brought by to show me. sometimes I don't put my thinking cap on till the thought's fled. :rolleyes:

Frosty

That is very cool frosty, I have been experimenting with making an additional cut, to bend up behind the cross, for mounting, the mount would be attached through the split hole, it has worked pretty well for outdoor mounted crosses, the shadow effect is pretty cool when the sun moves across the face.

Five-eights inch overlap was too much? I was told the cuts should overlap half the diameter of the stock; in your case, one-half inch. One-eighth inch doesn't sound like all that much difference, so my informant must be blowing smoke, and I speak with no authority because I have never attempted a Fredrick's cross. The the flour de lys are a nice detail.

Thanks guys.

I'd like to see a sketch of what you're talking about Mike, I'm not seeing it.

Nett:

I don't know what the correct overlap should be. I do know I don't know the right way to true one up or I wouldn't've so collapsed the opening on this one. I quit trying because it stopped improving and the opening was starting to crimp.

A 1/8" difference equates to 1/4" per side and 1/2" overall. It seems to be cumulative and if I'd taken a pic when the opening was fully opened you'd see it looked like I jammed a picture window in it. You can see how much it collapsed in the pics and the remaining opening isn't displeasing as it is. Measuring the opening and collapsed portions I was thinking 3/8" overlap for my next one in 1" stock.

I wish I'd done different finials on this one, Fleur d Lis are nice but it means it has to be a wall hanger, it won't stand on the point. I can make a stand for it but would rather it remains as simple as possible.

Thanks again.

Frosty

I really like that Mike. Thanks.

Thanks Travis, I wanted a simple cross and wasn't trying for perfection by a long shot. Still, I try to get things as true as I can, it's a matter of habit and it took me quite a while to learn when to stop. Usually by royally screwing things up trying for that last little bit to perfection.

The fellow who passed away was, straight forward, simple, a bit rough and more than a little shy of perfection himself. Basically a regular guy.

Deb and I dropped it off to his widow this afternoon and held her for a while. It's tough to see a friend in such pain but she's tough and will heal and we'll do what we can for her.

Frosty