I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's anonymous

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frosty,
I guess you would call your storage Frosty's BASS shop? Did anyone else wonder about that comment about being stuck to your tools? After a hard day hammerin, I practically have to peel my hand from the hammer anyway, just don't stick your tongue to the anvil! Cold weather, warm weather, it's all good forgin weather.

Ahhh if your tongue comes in contact with your anvil when smithing---you're doing it WRONG!

Just what I was thinking and no better proof you need to rid yourself of the unhealthy obsession.

Licking your anvil is NOT a healthy sign!

Send it to the BASS Shop now, while it's still not too late! NM is far too close, the temptation will do you in for sure. Don't take the chance!

Seriously, you guys are starting to creep me out.

Anvil kissing! Good grief what next?

Frosty

Frosty, it will be a cold cold day when they pry my hammer from my hand... errr wait the temperatures have been dropping pretty good.... uhhh let me rephrase that... it will be a cold cold cold cold cold cold cold -120 degree kind of day when they pry my hammer from my hand.

Now as for lips making contact with the anvil, You guys don't kiss your anvils? Oh come on and some of you claim to be obsessed with blacksmithing... heck I even looked for Hofi's lip prints on the hammer I got! He did sign it! but I'm still awaiting the CSI investigation report on the lip prints, they might have been Glenn's???

Now if you don't mind I'm going to move over to the tailgating area and drool over a few little things... "the key to this is being sure the keyboard is out of the way of the drool! drool like coffee, tea, or cola is not good for a keyboard!

Ahh do y'all have a CO detector in your shops.....

my wife got me a new one even before I finished pulling the wiring on the new shop. its 4 foot from me about waist high. CO CO2 and an alarm with adjustable PPM to trigger it! big LED display so I can monitor it myself while I am forging.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so what does a blacksmithing addict do when the hand he holds the hammer with has 2 good sized blisters on it, and he discovers his left hand is not quite coordinated enough to make up for the difference? Well I figure since I got laid off this week, and now have injured myself, maybe the good lord is telling me to slow down. So I just decided to accept it and go inside with my tail firmly tucked between my legs and mope. Then, like a bolt from heaven, (sic) a thought hit me, if you can't do, then learn!! So off to my laptop I trundled and stuck in disk 2 of the Uri Hofi series I bought at quad state. And now I am happily ensconced in my sweats, eating leftover pot roast, and watching Uri beat out a ball on the power hammer. I am so grateful for all I have, and for this forum, which allows me to set wandering thought to wing, I just had to let you all know, that I am not going into delerium tremons, or withdrawels, just gonna heal and learn. Thanks to all of your posts, and to Mr. Hofi, for his willing instruction, I will be fine during these trying times. Remember, look to what you have, not what you do not have. God bless.

Diver, uh blister on the hammer hand... Well a few forging sessions ago I wore two large blisters one just below my fingers from my pointing finger all the way across to my ring finger, and the other was at the base of my thumb. New hammer, not modified to fit... OUCH... so I went inside got some moles skin and padded it all up found a glove (I never forge with a glove on) and went back at it. Now this isn't a vain effort of masculine ego here, just relation how badly I need BSA when you don't listen to your own bodies screams for mercy... you have gone over the edge! Later, it dawned on me... I didn't even feel the blisters coming on... I was way overly focused on the projects at hand...

Oh and I have since took a few licks at that hammer handle too!

Does it mean I'm a blacksmithaholic if my 5 year old daughter tells Santa that "My daddy has been very naughty this year, so you should bring him lots of coal." (And no, I did not tell her to say it. She told him that with no prompting.)

Proud member of the Benevolent Brotherhood of the Black Boogers

I thought maybe your daughter over heard me stating when asked what I want for Christmas, that "I've been really really bad... as bad as I can be, so Santa will bring me lots and lots of coal for my forge!" then I seen your from Finland, so my remarks just arent' that original!

Out thunk by a 5 year old... wow...

James

Santa makes exceptions when he gets to naughty blacksmiths! You get like a bucket of water in your forge instead of coal in your stocking!!!
And yes, I am a blacksmithaholic! Anyone ever wanted to rob the steel supply warehouse? (I am kidding!) Or stop on the side (Actually in the middle of a two lane) road to see if something was a piece of steel?

OOOOhhh yeah stopped today to check on a piece of metal... very very disappointed, it was plastic...

Now as for the robbing of a steel supply, I wouldn't joke about a thing like that, you know those guys know me by name! If they seen me on tape in the middle of the night I'd be cut off from my source!

I can't be cut off from my source! That just isn't funny! :D

I don't know if it qualifies me as an addict, but I do tend forge in binges:
Once the Muse takes control and I am unable to quit until She allows me rest. She will compel me to work slavishly at my forge during every available moment until Her lust for fire and steel is well sated. I may fill her appetite for days and sometimes even weeks but when Her hunger stirs there is nothing to be done but obey. So, obey I must.
Like I said, I don't know if this means I should sign up for meetings but thank you for letting me share anyway.

Ok, well I guess I had better add my name to the list of Blacksmiths anonymous. Here it is the 19th of Dec. and I am out in my forge for four hours (with no heat) and it is -14 deg. C (7deg F) with a wind chill factor of -25 deg C (-13 deg F). Trying to get a last gift done for Christmas. I guess if that doesn't qualify me as a member nothing will! Guess thats what an addiction is all about. A complete loss of sense...LOL

Terry