I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's anonymous

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Blacksmithaholic. There i said it ......

14 yrs ago i got my first " taste " at a local community course , well 2 shops later ( the first was toooooo small ) 2 rr anvil ( second bigger then first ) a 172 lb Peter Wright i swaped a indrustrial sewing machine for , then swage block .. Scored a deal on eBay OZ on a twister for $ 10.00 AUD ( cost me $ 100 AUD in fuel to go get it ) At same time picked up a 280 lb + saw makers anvil ( $ 10.00 AUD :) )

Then came the worst day of my life , had ta go in for shoulder surgery , would i be able to smith still ?
What do i do ? ,, Jr posted a BP on a helve hammer ,, idea , i'll build 1 , but height adjustable ...:) So built that .
Then the missus said " would a air hammer help you out in shop " i said " yes " she said " buy 1 "
Went to MOONY'S " Get HAMMERED " seen some BIG air hammers in action & picked up my " first " air hammer
I'm about to go out & dig the foundation's for the cement pad .

Do i need HELP ... I don't think so , this is 1 " addiction " i'm happy to enjoy & know i'll not get locked up for bein' a user

Dale Russell

P.S , i did lay awake most of the nite thinking of all the things i CAN & WILL do with this air hammer

Edited by Dale Russell
i missed a letter

Well, I've had the blacksmithing habit for over 35 years, but that does not mean that I am addicted to it. I can stop any time I want... but then the voices start coming out of the anvil drawing me back, and I guess my hand picks up a hammer without me knowing it, and the forge ignites itself, and the iron ... the iron keeps .... Ahhhhh!

I have felt guilty all night here at work. I unloaded the little mouse hole anvil yesterday, but couldn't get the garage door up do to a broken spring. So I set it down in the drive way behind the Scout troops trailer. That poor little thing is out in this cold Indiana weather all alone...

and my wife is a supporter er enabler of my habit as well...

My fellow addicted brethren,

last night I layed awake, thinking about making the tool, to make the tool, to do the job, this is getting really bad!! But higher authority has released me to go out and release some of this agonizing frustration. It is 33 degrees here with a light touch of snow on the ground, still some fall leaves glistening in the morning dew, I can almost hear my anvil singing to me, gotta go now!!

I have now placed my poor baby anvil in a nice semi warm garage with locks and is heavily guarded by my sentry St Barnyard dog (usually known as a St Bernard, weighing in at 287 pounds he heavily guards anything he is near :D) ever ready who stands guard to protect smithing equipment oh yeah and family too...

Anyways, if you came and got it I would have to chase you down... and that would be a privilege as I would have to stop off at one of my favorite places on earth, Philmont near Cimmaron, NM...

In 2004 my wife and I walked into a medieval fair in Heidelberg Germany. One of the first "stalls" we came to was "hot tub" 12ft in diameter heated from underneath ( don't ask I didn't look how it was done) as we approached a young lady arose from the steaming water in here genuine medieval bathing costume ( nekid)
My wife wife exclaimed " would you get a load of that" Which is Australian for "jolly gosh you don't see that everyday"
But I wasn't there as the girl stood up I heard a hammer hit an anvil and had gone to find it.
Just a question of priorities really.
Carl

Reminds me of a booth at the local state fair, they sell hand coopered hot tubs and saunas with submersible wood heaters. Very nicely made but every year I stop by just to take another look at the 8" post vise mounted to a large wood block.

No nekid women though. At least I THINK there aren't any nekid women in the hot tubs. Hmmmmm.

Frosty

Hi,
my name is Mike, and this is another of my visits to get help for this addiction. I have discovered another sign that this problem is bigger than I thought, I discovered I will be travelling to San Antonio in January, prior to gathering any business related materials, I immediately started thinking about trying to find some local smiths there to visit. This problem appears to be an all day and sometimes in my sleeping dreams obsession. While the business convention is important, all I can seem to think about, is this seems to be an opportunity to go meet smiths in a different part of the country. Has anyone been through this? I may need to seek professional help!!

Divermike, the professional help you are seeking can be found at Balcones Forge! I know of a few 'therapist' there and they are good. Will help you in anyway. Just go to their seb site and contact one of the members. Hope this helps you man, and no, you are not alone in this feeling. Good luck with you.

My nomen is not so important,but I think that this sorta ,,addiction'' is linked more to who we are,not to mention our thumbs.Being upright walking humans with long history of creating things through millennia is definitively engaging.Let's keep fire burning,my friends.:cool:

I can’t be a BSaholic ..
I haven’t built a fire or beat metal on an anvil… yet.
OK so I’m in the process of building a shop and the forge and anvil are in storage until I can get the door up.
Just because a blower followed me home last week and the same guy was showing me a four inch post vise that he wanted seventy five dollars for, he happened to mention that he had a bigger one that was froze up and he only wanted forty dollars for. I can’t help it, I just had to give it a home. It’s just a little 6

I must be what could be referred to as a Blacksmith Aholic of the snob variety. I wasn't content to locate a nice, used, well broken in anvil to sooth my addition, I had to lay down the big bucks and get a................................NEW ANVIL! Also a new Hofi hammer. Still the same old gas forge though. Just got another load of mower blades from my work................plus steel from the wife's grandparents..............................help................me.......................

I must be what could be referred to as a Blacksmith Aholic of the snob variety. I wasn't content to locate a nice, used, well broken in anvil to sooth my addition, I had to lay down the big bucks and get a................................NEW ANVIL! Also a new Hofi hammer. Still the same old gas forge though. Just got another load of mower blades from my work................plus steel from the wife's grandparents..............................help................me.......................

I'd be happy to Larry. Just ship all that horrible stuff to me, I'll place it all in my secure facility where it can't bother you anymore.

There there Larry, it'll be alright just as soon as you get it packed up and shipped off.

I'm here for you buddy.

Frosty

I'm here for you buddy. Frosty

Oh Man, Frosty, you're the BEST! I'll be sending all of that stuff to you via overnight express, in fact I'm gonna charter a special flight to get it right to your door. I wish everyone was so ready to help..........

just keep holding your breath, it'll be there REEEEEEEEEEAL SOON.......................

Hi All!!,
Well Frosty, they need to send those nasties here, be cheaper for them!!!:D And have to tell all of ya, went to the Peddler's Mall the other day to find a couple of dressers, and what did I leave with?? A 14" Monkey Wrench to turn into a twisting wrench!!! and just for $10, and they have a 16 or 18" one for just $15 , so guess the first of next week, am going to have to go get it!!! Bigger allows me to twist bigger metal RIgHT????

Yes I am a forgeaholic as well ! I love the equipment and am always looking for that new piece of equipment hammer anvil tongs whatever goes with the trade.I love the smell of the coal smoke and am constantly looking for scrape to make something out of as well as looking as things deciding how I can make them as well. In addition I look for spare time to forge whenever I can. It is a painless disease with only the occasional burn but one which calms the soul and brings relaxation to those who have it. Yes truly am addicted to this thing that only a select few enjoy those of us who are special ! At least I think they are complimenting me by saying I am special . Ha Ha .

Oh Man, Frosty, you're the BEST! I'll be sending all of that stuff to you via overnight express, in fact I'm gonna charter a special flight to get it right to your door. I wish everyone was so ready to help..........

just keep holding your breath, it'll be there REEEEEEEEEEAL SOON.......................

You don't need to fly it all the way to the door Larry, the Wasilla Airport is only three miles from here, I can get it the rest of the way to safe containment for you.

No sacrifice is too great for a pal.

Breathless in Ak.

Frosty

Tomorrow is our all hands meet in Sylvan Beach, I'm having heart palpitations, I know I won't sleep well tonight, we have 2, count em 2, really good demonstrators for the event, ok let's see, need paper, lots of paper, a couple pens, my chair, probably plenty of fluids, oh the heck with it, who needs sleep anyhow, maybe I can forge up somethin for iron in the hat. I guess I could take a blanket out to the forge in case I get sleepy, now where is my favorite hammer......???? Only 10-1/2 hours till my ride shows up, aggggggggggggg

after my long enforced layoff from forging, I had some undisturbed time to get out and get dirty. So from the blueprints, I started with a nutcracker and meat pick. Then went on to a piece of yard art for a gift to a friend, then finished a hat/coat rack for my church. Then made 2 more heart shaped railroad tie coat hooks, then another piece of yard art, Then for the "pice de resistance", I took a large ball peen hammer and turned it into a war weapon, ahhh the satisfying ache of the muscles, the black boogers, the small blisters from grabbing too hot metal. and not the least, my wife is pleased with the yard art!! I've had my fix, that is until I get another look at the blueprints, let's see... where are they now??/

Diver Mike; "2 more heart shaped railroad tie coat hooks," doesn't all that cresote on the RR ties mess up the coats?

AK is too far and KY is too damp; but out here in NM all your smithing equipment can spend it's down time warm and dry, no condensation from temperature changes! Just send it to
Greedy Blacksmith
Socorro NM
and be serene knowing it will be cherished in a pleasent long term facility...

AK is NOT too far! It's right here.

Besides the idea is to put all that addictive material in a place where it won't infect further. NM is FAR too populated to keep stuff like THAT!

Just ship it all to:
The Benign Repository For Infectious Tools and Equipment.
Wasilla, AK. 99654