I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's anonymous

We had a serious storm here today as well, but the finest times I have had in the forge has been with the snow blowing sideways, it's 50 degrees inside, and flat out beautiful. We have 20 people coming over tomorrow night, but somehow I will still get in a couple hours in the forge, Welcome to the group, feel free to admit any further indications of this disease as they strike, Merry Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm off all this week and think it might be a good time to finish the back wall on my shop so the wind does't blow directly into my forge. Then I can spend the rest of the week forging. The ladder kicked out as I was coming down and I caught myself by the armpits on the rafters.....saving me from a nasty fall. Unfortunately my little finger got mashed in the process and is now swollen and stiff. I don't think I'll be able to hold anything with it to hit..... So here I am typing with one hand, the other on ice. If I can get the swelling down, maybe I can be forging by the end of the week......:rolleyes: Until then, I'll be here looking for the next project to tackle......

Littlewolf, if you want that anvil guy's info PM me. He's in Masonville, not far from you at all.
Ed

I feel for you bro, if you have any BSing books or videos, that may keep the wolf at bay, just getting over an injury myself, I know how hard it is, I spent quite a bit of time wandering around the forge putting things away, muttering to myself. But now, I am a forging fool, hahahahahahahaha!!

• 2 weeks later...

No addiction problem there, of course not. A couple days without heating and beating and you're out standing in the snowbound freezing cold building a fire. Not a fire to keep warm with, a fire to melt the snow out of the forge, heck I don't even see a piece of iron heating.

Oh no, you don't have a problem, none at all. . . :rolleyes:

Frosty

Brothers, attend me!
Glenn has a problem, he is in denial, we must shoulder around him, lift him up, and let him know he is not alone. His starting the fire in a snow bank should have clued him in, yet we all must travel this road, Glenn, we are here for you bro!!

Glenn good thing you got that snow melted off, that white stuff mixed with the black char could have made a big mess!

I can't believe so many people from so many countries could come to a web site like this and all be in denial! Come on 50+ countries, 6775 members... We can't all be wrong!!!

The hammer striking hot iron on an anvil is like magic. It can make it like no one can see you, take you away from danger and strife. Much like a magic ring our hammers act as the medium that allows us to slip away into a much different world.

Guys, guys, where did you all go? You wouldn't leave me here all alone, come on at least help me build a fire first!!! Just a little fire... At least I still have my hammer, my "PRECIOUS" hammer...

Bilbo Anvil Banger
Errr I mean James

Of course it is! just don't let it oxidize away in that oxygen rich Aussie air! Heck if ya want you can send your work here and I'll quench it in our own special mix of Indiana USA winter weather.

Sorry about the Lord of the Rings thing, I started this weekend on my yearly reading of the books to help pass away the time away from my forge...

Edited by ironrosefarms

I too am a Lord of the Rings fan, and I am stuck in a state with no means of hammering, and no good books to read, so I have found myself wandering around getting inspiration for projects from premanufactured xxxx tables, but I am not curled up in the corner weeping yet, Can't wait to get back to my "Forge in the Forest", and a good book.

We had a group of 16 - 4H students and 10 chaperones come and visit during our monthly meeting, I could see the spark of interest in the kids eyes. I'm sure this is where my addiction must have started, it was a great event, even though it was only about 8 degrees outside, they stood next to the barrel stove and they went home happy.

That's great Mike, getting the next generation addicted eh?

I know how it is, the first hit is free, from there on out they're hooked.

Just be sure to give them my name and address so when they want to kick the habit they'll have a place to get the evil tools and equipment they've accumulated safely out of the way of innocents.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

In my regular career, I am an inspector, I can't really look at buildings the way most do, I must analyze the building component by component. Now, much to my suprise, any metal work I see, I start the inspection process as to how it was done, and how I might have done it, and if I can do it, and if I can do it better than it was done originally. I am constantly seeing china / pakistan made stuff, that is based on some design that for sure a blacksmith came up with, but made in such a chinsey way as to make me want to go build one the way we can. I saw such a table in San Antonio, and now I am in the process of making one, that does not offend my sensabilities. Does anyone else suffer these symptoms?

• 3 months later...

While listening to my friends play some blues during the party yesterday, I got the overwhelming urge to go and strike my anvil in rhythym to the beat, and when the song finished, I just kept on a goin, it was a funny moment, but in retrospect, I believe my sickness is progressing.

I work as a stage hand, most of us play an instrument of some sort, guitar drums whatever... people ask me I reply "The anvil"... they wander away a thinking "Triangle?????"... then come back.. and I explain I keep time with a 125# chunk of iron and steel.....

who is the sick one here.... them for not knowing or me for proclaiming such things proudly!

I think both of you need help fast! The first step to recovery is getting rid of all that terribly dangerous stuff. Free yourself of the addiction and send all those tools equipment, materials, reading material, etc. here for safe keeping. I promise to keep safe from it so as to no longer feed your addictions.

Frosty

Frosty... I think not..... I plan to be the first Blacksmith to invent an Electric anvil.... Bolt on a Piezo pickup.... add about 10,000 watts of amplification mostly around 60 Hz... I will rule!!!!!! MWAAHAHAHHAHHahahha

Must get grip on myself... must find Vice grips... no can't use those.... they are another blacksmith designed tool....

Edited by CBrann
Incomplete

I smelled the smoke, walked into the room, and someone shut the door behind me.

So, ok, er, ah, I am a blacksmith, and I can change, I think, but it will take all y'alls help. It may also take a bunch of meetings, some classes, and maybe some new tools, but I am sure I can improve, with time.

ROFL!!!!:D
"I love the line "I think I can improve with y'alls help"...