I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

Hi Hans,

If you're looking for a bigger hammer I've got a 160# Hercules that was recently rebuilt and is looking for a new home. I'm storing it for a bloke and he wants to sell it so if you are interested let me know. andrew at farmweld dot com dot au Don't know what freight from SA to FNQ would be like though.

Andrew

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day to the rest of you Aussie metal belters, I'm in the Gulf country of the Northern Territory. Live in a pretty remote location called Nathan River and enjoy making stuff out of metal, wood, vines, rock, but mostly metal.

Cheers, Whirly

don't we all, woody?

Greetings and welcome Whirly. I think we have had a couple of other Territorians on the forum.
Andrew.
PS
Woody, I scored some kind of oil furnace burner with you in mind- eventually I'll post a pic when i find the camera. Tell me what details you need to measure from it.

• 4 weeks later...

gday all im from campbelltown nsw
im 32 a sheetie by trade (just finished my apprenticeship) ive been working in aircraft manufacturing most on my working life
im now a hobbist wonna be knifemaker
thakns damien

Woody, I scored some kind of oil furnace burner with you in mind- eventually I'll post a pic when i find the camera. Tell me what details you need to measure from it.

show me the pics and i'll tell you what i need to know!
sounds like a plan!
basically everything is what i need to know! :P

Hi Hans,

If you're looking for a bigger hammer I've got a 160# Hercules that was recently rebuilt and is looking for a new home. I'm storing it for a bloke and he wants to sell it so if you are interested let me know. andrew at farmweld dot com dot au Don't know what freight from SA to FNQ would be like though.

Andrew

Hi Andrew just found your comment re hammer iam after a Massey 3cwt , if you know of one for sale please let my know , if not i ll take your 2cwt :rolleyes: , i read with interest your account of the installation of your hammer. Cheers Hans

HJP, is the 1 cwt currently on Gumtree, yours?
If not, seems close, also being at the Atherton.
Andrew.
Yes Andrew that is ... or was my hammer left the shop today ,a bloke making damascus billets bought it .

Hi everyone,

My name is Giles, live in Jacobs Well on the Gold Coast in Queensland. New to blacksmithing but have always had an interest. Have sourced a few tools from car boot sales.

Meeting a few of the local blacksmiths from the ABA (Qld) on Friday for an event at work. Have already had a chat to Ratel10mm who has organised the ABA demonstration at work, looking forward to meeting in person and having a feed and a drink.

Will certainly be tagging along to the meets at Mike's place in Eagle Farm, am still trying to get permission from the wife to go to Moony's ;) .

Cant wait to get started.

Giles

Thanks Matt,

Sounds like a good plan to me :)

Friday was good fun, and was great to see all the blacksmithing. It did make me laugh though how i had to explain to one of the catering girls what blacksmithing was :lol:

Went to ABA Qld on Saturday and did some blacksmithing, was good fun to finally hit the metal, cant wait to do some more :)

Saved that frame for you, I took it home on the night, will have to catch up to give it to you.

Giles

G'day All,

May as well throw my name in this long list, I'm Geoff live in Townsville Nth Qld, part time Knife maker. Did my trade with 2 blokes Collin & Phil Trewavis @ Trewavis Surgical Instruments in Victoria 27ish years ago and had the opportunity to beat out some awsome instruments on their huge bitsa drop hammer and have always enjoyed a bit of hot metal bashing.

G'day Denise,
Ive been trying to work out a way of searching for members in the area on IFI but to no avail, there are a couple of blokes up toward Cairns and the Tablelands but haven't seen anyone else from Townsville area. I haven't set up a shop as yet (never had the room) but that's all about to change, shed extension plans complete, now I just have to get it council approved and built. I've been on the hunt for a drop hammer up this end of the world, dont know of any do you?

Regards,

if by drop you mean power, they are few and far between.....

Yep, power, spring, drop what ever flavour you like I'm looking for one, the Herc that Farmweld has would have been awsome but the financial advisor (The wife) said find one closer :blink: I've only been looking for 5 years...............

yer on the right page of the right book...... But it is a saga! As much as id like to help, it is pretty much every man for himself up here :P
once my steam hammer is running you are welcome to come and use it!
You dont happen to know of any one with a boiler!??

Hi Geoff, I had trouble too, trying to find others in this area, think Iron Woody is our nearest. I am also on the search for a power hammer too though my workshop limits the size because it's a high pitch roof garage in a friends backyard, so not that big and also surrounded by neighbors. ( live in apt. )

Is your workshop going to be at home, neighbors not a problem ? Fingers crossed for the council approval....very exciting !
If you have no facilities set up, you are more than welcome to come and play at my forge. I have a Tabasco single burner so good for blade making. I would learn a thing or too by watching for sure.

I used to have a ' blacker B ' hammer in UK, it was a real beast, vishious at times but good when you could tame it !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'm here for a few months at least so I'll throw my name down too. Peter from Canada, currently in Cairns, but I hope to travel the east coast at least, and maybe get out to the west coast too. New to blacksmithing, but love making things out of metal and wood. Hoping that while I'm here I'll be able to meet a few smiths.