I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

G'Day Phil
The only 2 Blacksmiths i've met are Yourself and Moony , the rest of us are wanna be's. When you got that piece of paper to say Certificate Of Proficiency as a Blacksmith, then you can call yourself a blacksmith.I'm a Toolmaker not a blacksmith ,but i try.My boy Darren says hi ,he's the one that got the anvil made for him at Moony's
Cheers John

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'Day Phil
The only 2 Blacksmiths i've met are Yourself and Moony , the rest of us are wanna be's. When you got that piece of paper to say Certificate Of Proficiency as a Blacksmith, then you can call yourself a blacksmith.I'm a Toolmaker not a blacksmith ,but i try.My boy Darren says hi ,he's the one that got the anvil made for him at Moony's
Cheers John

Hey Cheers John and the young takker, (Darren). Actually there was Moony Me Damo Starlo Charlie, Phil Cleary all there that weekend that were card carrying time served metal bashers. How is the anvil going, has Darren used it for anything special yet? How old did you say Darren was, we'll keep him in mind as apprentice material.

Phil

Hey Cheers John and the young takker, (Darren). Actually there was Moony Me Damo Starlo Charlie, Phil Cleary all there that weekend that were card carrying time served metal bashers. How is the anvil going, has Darren used it for anything special yet? How old did you say Darren was, we'll keep him in mind as apprentice material.

Phil

G'Day Phil
Darren's 14 in August and he said he is still up for work exrerence also later aprenticeship if you want.Anvil is still getting machined ,my mate has a head reco shop he's got it at the moment.the Anvil be at Moomy's next Hammer in
Cheers John and Darren

Phil,
firstly it was finally GREAT to put a face to some 1 i've been talking to for 10 yrs . Second , thanks for all the help at Ironfest ( Yes photos will go up as soon as i'm able , friday i'm in for shoulder op ) & third , mate , by now you shoulda known BEER woulda been involved ... & LOT'S of it too ... :)

Dale Russell

G'day!
My name is Karl Buhse and I'm from Redland Bay, south of Brisbane QLD.
I'm a hobby blacksmith(wish i was a blacksmith by trade) and I've been interested in blacksmithing ever since a smith at Timbertown made me a horseshoe with my name stamped on it in 1996(I was 5).
I would really love to come along to the A.B.A.Qld meetings but i work on saturdays, so obviously i need to quit my job.
Anyway its great to know there are so many keen Aussies on here and see some of you around maybe.

Cheers

How are you Karl.... I live at redland bay too.... let me know if you want to come over for a hit one day, mabbe a sunday or something...
your welcome anytime.

Really?! that's awesome.
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer,
though, after seeing some of your work i think i'll learn alot more from you than you will from me :)

Really?! that's awesome.
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer,
though, after seeing some of your work i think i'll learn alot more from you than you will from me :)

HaHa dont worry man I,ve only been making knives for a couple of years... i got arsy one day and won some money on the pokies so i went out and bought a drill press, a linisher and a whole heep of other stuff... with the right equipment it gets a whole lot easyer... I,ll see if i can email my phone number to you... give us a call, ask for matt, and you can come over and checkout the forge.... my email is slain121@hotmail.com

regards, Matt.

just pulled these wheels out of the bush near bayside of brisbane (secret local).big cast wheels,forged axels 2.5 inch*2.5inch.dose any one know this touch mark.the lettering seems to be rton then the mark?

post-12950-020718900 1273637166_thumb.jp

post-12950-034269100 1273637249_thumb.jp

just pulled these wheels out of the bush near bayside of brisbane (secret local).big cast wheels,forged axels 2.5 inch*2.5inch.dose any one know this touch mark.the lettering seems to be rton then the mark?

nice find... i got a couple of theorys for ya... rton is an abreviation for Rockhampton and as it turns out i think the toowoomba foundry had a foundry up there in the late 1800's- early 1900's... the toowoomba foundry specialized in large castings like locomotive wheels ect.

the other theory is it could be part of a peice of farm machinary that has been recycled that was made by "Norton"....

I,m not sure about the trademark, it may have been put there later by a smith that recycled some bits of other equipment...

I,m probably wrong....

I,m tipping it was probably used for the logging industry... i think cleveland is where the boats used to come in for the logs...

There,s a book at the victoria point libary about a well know'n Blacksmith from thornlands, who was working at about that time... you never know it could be his mark... next time i,m at the libary i,ll see if i can find the book and see if that can offer any leads...

thanks slain the wheels had to come home,i cut them off the body of the cart(heavy c chanel)from what was lying around,pipe,brass and largeish water storage i thinking a small steam engine transporter.thanks for the info dont bust a gut looking as i will probably sell them and put the much needed cash towards tools.shame they would look great with a big open crank hit n miss thumping away on them.thats the hobby for my next life time.as a side note any one reading this there is a bk anvil from bris on e bay 1000.i was doing a blacksmith course with alan ball village smith about 5 years ago and he warned us that someone had a bk pattern and was selling cast iron coppies.turned out a guy there on the weekend was bought one(crap).the one on ebay is "hardly used????",sory to the seller if all is ok.but i always think never part with a $ sight unseen.

• 1 month later...

Hello all my fellow Ozzies

My name is Adam, new to the site and very new to Blacksmithing.
I live in the Wollongong area, and very keen to get a backyard smithy set up.
Have made a brake rotor forge and got myself a small 30kg steel cast anvil (just need something to sit it on)
Noticed most of you are interstate. So very interested to find people in my neck of the woods to chat too and learn from.

Cheers

G'Day Adam , always room for another AUSSIE in forums

As Andrew O'C already put his up i'll bung this 1 up too

http://www.iforgeiro...ered-at-moonys/

Page 6 post 108 & 112 to see info about this yrs event

October 29 , 30 , 31 . Braidwood NSW

3 rd annual Get HAMMERED ,,

Check out the thread , if your interested in comin' let me know so i can put your name on the list

Dale Russell

G'day Dale

Thanks for the invite. Have already mentioned it to the wife. Will have to see about getting at least a day off from work, so I can come and meet you all. If I can only make it for a day, which one would be best to attend?

Also do you know of any IFI or other Blacksmiths in the Illawarra/Sydney area. I'm only just starting out with Blacksmithing and there is only so much you can learn from a book and Youtube videos.

:)

Hey Adam.

Short answer for which day, Saturday, we all feel too hung over by Sunday, (not that we have a bit of a big night Saturday night) and most of us are packing to go home on sunday arvo too. Having said that Sunday was when we forged the Anvil for young Darren last year. Go figure.
As to smiths in sydney or Illawarra, thers a few, like Charlie down at Tomerrong I think is where he lives. Couple in sydney, couple up here, (newcastle).

Cheers Phil

Be nice to see you at AoCs little meeting at Rozelle if you can make it.

G'Day Adam, welcome aboard, as Dale and Phil said Get Hammered is certainly a weekend to get along to. I'm up here in Bowral, just a hobby smith but your welcome to come up one weekend and have a "play"

Cheers Ian

Sorry to say Andrew and Phil, but this Sunday is a bit too late notice for me, though it sounds great. I have a few rooms in the house that need ceilings painted.

Cheers for the invite Ian, I will have to take you up on that offer sooner rather than later.
Do you know a Blacksmith in Mittagong by the name of Joseph Balog? I was in Mittagong about a month ago with the family and convinced the wife to go to a vineyard that just happened to have a Blacksmith on site. :)
I spent about 45 mins talking to him. I would have liked to talk and watch more of what he was doing (day bed for a local store)but had to go. I did walk away with a few bottles of wine (which the wife would like more of) and his card to get in contact with him for a longer visit. So a trip back that way soon is a sure thing. I'll send you a PM when I plan on coming over that way and see if your avail.

"Do you know a Blacksmith in Mittagong by the name of Joseph Balog? I was in Mittagong about a month ago with the family and convinced the wife to go to a vineyard that just happened to have a Blacksmith on site."

I knew several years ago there was a blacksmith at that winery, but never got around to going out there. I thought he may not be there now, I must must go and check him out.

Cheers Ian

• 3 months later...