I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site Denise, I personally dont know any smiths around the Canberra area, but I know there is some, it shouldn't take too long to find some. I'm a hobby smith up in Bowral in the Southern highlands, two hours from Canberra so its probably a bit far to come, but if your up this way one weekend your more than welcome to call in and say hello. Otherwise I may see you at 'Get Hammered'

Ian

Gday all,

Allan here from Murray Bridge in South Australia. Been lurking on here for awhile looking, reading and hopefully learning. Want to try my hand at smithing. So far i have a leg vise and 3 pairs of tongs i picked up off www.blacksmiths-australia.com. Lady gave them to me i gave her a carton of coopers pale ale for payment. good deal i thought. I am currently looking for an anvil and also researching to build my own forge. Would like to hook up with any other hobby smiths near me if any on here willing to meet.

trying to source some local fuel for my forge when it is made.

Well back to the forum pages to read some more.

30 anvils :o i would think i had died and gone to heaven ! really want an anvil ! infact really need one. i am watching a couple on ebay at the moment so you never know. one weighs 110kgs.( http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270722878669&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ) There is also one at a clearing sale this friday which i will go and look at problem is people want them just for the garden etc at clearing sales or just to say they have one and pay alot more for them than i can afford.
I have also found a source for fuel for my yet to make forge at Stirling which is one about 70km away :)

Hello,I am David, an old ex boilermaker from Tasmania.
I still have to get my smithy sorted out,and build a gas forge to put in it,but I have lots of ideas in my head(I really should start putting them on paper),so I want to get started as soon as I can.
No particular genre,(I sound like an artist already),just anything that takes my fancy and that I can possibly combine with wood.Should be fun.
All the best .....David.

First off G'Day Dave , welcome ta the site .

Phil , " if " i had $ 1,000 i'd try buy em up just ta stop em goin' ta collectors . This bloke was a " collector " would be nice ifin theys went ta smiths .. oh well , i can dream can't i ... :)

Allan , hang in bloke , u'll find 1 soon , took me 2 yrs of waitin' before i found my peter wright

Dale Russell

dale what do you think of the ebay link for a first anvil? it is close to me for me to collect. What sort o fmoney would it be worth do you think?

Alan, it looks a bit swaybacked, a bit chipped at the edges, & generally well used. Plenty of life left in it yet. My no-name anvil cost me $300 & weighs about 70Kg. I say go for it, if you can afford say $350 or perhaps a bit more.
If you do an advanced search on fleabay you can tick the 'completed listings' button & that way see what other anvils have gone for.

Just remember that an anvil doesn't have to be London Pattern. ANY large block of steel will do the job.

Good luck
Matt

G'Day Allan
Pretty much what Matt / Rattle10mm said . Edges are chipped , but repairable , as for the sway back , it comes in handy to help straighten things , probable wouldn't go anymore the $ 300 myself on it .. YUCK ... Black paint !

This clearing sale i'm going to tomorrow all the anvils ave been painted as well :(
I hope to pick up a couple of them to clean up & sell , just ave ta wait & see what they go for

Dale Russell

G'Day Allan
Pretty much what Matt / Rattle10mm Ratel10mm mate. :P said . Edges are chipped , but repairable , as for the sway back , it comes in handy to help straighten things , probable wouldn't go anymore the $ 300 myself on it .. YUCK ... Black paint !

This clearing sale i'm going to tomorrow all the anvils ave been painted as well :(
I hope to pick up a couple of them to clean up & sell , just ave ta wait & see what they go for

Dale Russell

Good luck at the sale pal. :) Remember no lifting!

• 2 weeks later...

Double-Edge2 is having a Birthday today, with a mug like that (look at his profile) he needs all the luck he can get, hey Mike have a good one mate and enjoy life, all the best from the Peel River Artist Blacksmiths. cheers John. :D

Gday all,

Allan here from Murray Bridge in South Australia. Been lurking on here for awhile looking, reading and hopefully learning. Want to try my hand at smithing. So far i have a leg vise and 3 pairs of tongs i picked up off www.blacksmiths-australia.com. Lady gave them to me i gave her a carton of coopers pale ale for payment. good deal i thought. I am currently looking for an anvil and also researching to build my own forge. Would like to hook up with any other hobby smiths near me if any on here willing to meet.

trying to source some local fuel for my forge when it is made.

Well back to the forum pages to read some more.

Hi Allan,
We have a Blacksmith Association in SA if your interested. We have been going for two years and have 38 members and growing. We have just started holding workshops twice a month.
Two of our members live in Murray Bridge. We meet at the Elephant and Castle hotel every third Thursday of the month starting at 7 PM.We have quite a few members in the starting out stage, hence the workshops. We have quite a few skilled blacksmiths to help out those people starting out. Hope to catch up with you one day soon.

Cheers,
Rob Kenning
Secretary
Artist Blacksmiths Association South Australia

Rob i tried searching on the net for a SA web page but could not find one i did find a link for an article from WA that mentioned the SA association.

What do you do at the elephant and castle besides drink ? is it a social get together?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,
Another aussie to add to the list. I've been lurking for a little while now and saw mention of this thread but it took me a while to run it to earth.
I run my own light fabrication business in South Australia and do some smithing as part of that. Joined ABASA last month when I went to the meeting and I might be going to my first demo day at Angaston this coming long weekend.

Andrew Hood

PS: fully support the use Coopers Pale as a blacksmiths lubricant

Gday another aussie here. i am 2hrs west of sydney, where the race track is on the hill ;) .
new to blacksmithing, i have enroled to do a tafe coarse
http://www.wit.tafensw.edu.au/course-information/course-details/?id=1625
i just have to wate untill they have enough numbers to run the coarse. with a bit of luck i will find a blacksmith not to fare away that is willing to teach a newby a few things. untill then the internet is my teacher.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

ahhh, how should i start....

I live on the fraser coast in queensland, i've had an interest in history since i was eight, and began blacksmithing when i was eleven, and also have a little experience in farriering. i've been doing it (smithing) more seriously over the past few years particularly since graduation, and am looking into building a much larger workshop. also dabbled in foundry work, and tanning, and also make the occasional bow.