I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

Dear JHCC;

Thank you for the correction.  I only have a little hedge Latin and am not familiar with the details of Latin grammar.  Since my father-in-law (who was a medieval history professor) passed away I haven't had anyone to review any Latin.  The original version came off of a tee shirt my late wife gave me.  Not an impeccable source.  I have corrected my file where I collect black smithing quotes.

Now that I know someone with more Latin than I have I may bounce something off you in the future if you don't mind.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Now that I know someone with more Latin than I have I may bounce something off you in the future if you don't mind.

Happy to help, but please remember that my Latin is from my freshman year in college (before I switched to Ancient Greek) and therefore more than little rusty and much more than a little inexpert.

Όταν φτιάχνετε μια σαλάτα, χρησιμοποιείτε ΠΑΝΤΑ ένα μεγαλύτερο μπολ από ό, τι νομίζετε ότι θα χρειαστείτε.

When making a salad, ALWAYS use a larger bowl than you think you would need.

• 2 weeks later...

"The reputation of a furniture builder isn't based on how 'perfect' every piece is, it's based on how professionally he can cover up his mistakes".   I've seen a lot of dovetails cut by well known historical furniture builders that have a "sliver" spacer in them to make the joint tighter.  Mentor to Chris C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of this reminds me of some things I got from my late father.  Most are well known, and all worth sharing.

"Keep It Simple, Stupid" and "Keep It Stupid, Simple"

"Work Smarter, Not Harder"

"If 'We've always done it that way' is the answer, you need to ask more questions"

"Sometimes you spend twice the effort to avoid doing half the work"

"Ask Questions, you may learn something if you shut up long enough for the answer"

and my personal favorite  "Think"

The older I get, the smarter my dad was

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...