I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without instability there is NO maneuverability.  From flight manuals and aircraft design reading I did decades ago. I actually toyed with designing and building my own hang glider:rolleyes:, of course. Learning to fly one cured that ambition. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, but I think Jones's point is twofold: that the master achieved mastery through struggle, and that the master *remains* a master because they *continue* to struggle. In other words, a work by a master who has become complacent may be technically brilliant, but aesthetically uninteresting. 

Similarly, I've been to performances by virtuoso musicians who were clearly just going through the motions. Their technique was amazing, but the music was utterly boring.

I was just reading this morning that the great Dutch painter Hendrik ter Brugghen died when he was only 41. 

To borrow from Tom Lehrer (and adjusting for my own age): "It's people like that who make you realize how little you've accomplished. It's a sobering thought, for example, that, when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for eighteen years."

One positive thing about being an aging smith---my students are trying to make sure I don't overdo things and so try to do the loading and unloading and moving heavy stuff for me.  (You have 1 insulin crash and ER visit and folks start treating you like you're feeble and frail---I should have had one *years* ago!)