I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For  some reason I came to think on all those guys wo think there are fixed rules for blacksmithing and remembered this sign in a Copenhagen restaurant:

Rule #1 No boose will be served in these premises

Rule #2 Except together with fish.

Rule #3 All food except "ölsupa" is fish.

Rule #4 Should Ölsupa be served, (God forbid) that is fish too.

46 minutes ago, Nobody Special said:

I'll bite. What's olsupa? Looks like some kind of gruel with ginger and beer...All the pages are in Swedish and don't translate well.

I discovered on my many trips to Sweden a few years ago is not ask too much about the food as to what it is you don't always want to know.  I told the Pres. of a large Swedish Corp after he asked how they were treating me while I was there, that I'd like something to eat that didn't swim over to my fork (I don't care for pickled fish)  That night I had Reindeer to eat and every trip following I did as well.  Loved that, just like home.  Meat, Potato and Veg. is my staple old fashion I guess.

Ölsupa means "Beer-soup". Not so thick as gruel but more substantial than a consomme It is made from beer thickened with flour, maybe an egg, maybe some milk. It is sweetened with syrup and spiced with ginger and perhaps cinnamon. It is highly controversial just like haggis is. Most people hate it because they have only heard about it. Actually it is quite good as a pickmeup if one comes in hungry from a cold wet and dark November night. It is less fitting between the Russian caviar and the lobster.:D

Kimchi...fermented or pickled cabbage and spices.  Garlicy, spicy, sometimes hot to taste, absolutely delicious.  Find an oriental food store and get some mild stuff.  Some major grocery stores may carry it as well.

What he said, plus it's a Korean dish that's not for everyone. Usually uses bok choi type cabbage, but there's literally thousands of varieties.  Koreans eat it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was a major staple traditionally because they fermented it in huge ceramic jars placed in the ground with just the lid exposed, and it lasted all winter. They eat it plain, in soup, on pizza and hamburgers, fried, mixed in dishes....

It has a few downsides, if you eat it all the time, you develop a characteristic smell. It's usually spicy hot. Westerns sometimes find their bowels ummm, immediately very regular, especially if eaten with alcohol (especially large quantities of Soju...but that's another story) until they've had it a couple of times.

It's also become a classic euphemism used by G.I.s the world over. As in "Did you hear about Private Snuffy? He showed up late to p.t. formation, still drunk."  "Oh man, he's gonna be in deep kimchi."

George Earnest [RIP] started forging and selling horseshoeing tools on the West Coast in the 1940's. Using his initials, the business is now called G.E. Forge & Tool. George is reputed to have said this: "Some people hit it and watch where it goes; I know where it's going to go before I hit it."

• 3 weeks later...

Think of your journey into blacksmithing as going the wrong way through a funnel. You enter a long relatively narrow hallway at the beginning, gathering base knowledge as you go. At some point suddenly you see daylight up ahead and the whole world opens up. The further you go the wider the amount of available knowledge becomes. Then you realize that there is NO END to what can be learned, NO END to the old techniques, NO END to the new techniques, and there is NO END to the countless hours you can spend on reading. Remember to take it to the forge and try it, because practice and actually working the metal solidifies the knowledge in your head and your mind.

Blacksmithing is NOT a quick read, but a life long journey.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Is there light at the end of the funnel?

Pun intended?

I can not speak to light at the end of the funnel. I can say that it gets more and more illuminating as you progress in the craft.

He would chase a gnat to there and back for hide and tallow. Glenn

Meaning he overlooked the effect of diminishing returns. Stated another way, each digit past the decimal point is a $ sign. There will always be some loss, live with it, as it is a part of life.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn,

That sounds like the concept of entropy.

For example, a calculus differential equation can usually be worked back to the original equation by the operation of integration. (the calculus integration function), but the constant of the original equation is lost for ever. That is just one example of entropy.

SLAG.

P. S. I could not make that up: just ask Newton or the Leibnitz family, if you can find them.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.  

Albert Einstein.

SLAG.

"The industry standard for car and ute axles was 1045H for axles below 1 3/8" stock and 1541H for axles above that size" Ptree

This was originally credited to Thomas Powers and is now corrected.