I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

naw; just run them by the gas forge twice and serve!

And if you're distilling your own you can use dry cow pies to smoke dry your malted barley instead of peat for that unique NM flavor Scotch.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 1/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, SmoothBore said:

A long time ago, I began to realize there are many, many things you can do, ... and a much smaller number of things you should do .....

The trick is in knowing which is which.

From SmoothBore

fantastic advice, but i probably wont listen to it for a while. I am still young and need to do all the stupid teenager stuff still. :P

Frosty is that lifting device called an apprentice?

A 250 pound anvil wants to live where it was placed, the second time.

Strap or tie a board, pipe, etc across the top of the anvil make it weigh only half as much if two people are lifting the thing. If one person is doing the lifting, then it becomes a lift, crib, go to the other end of the board, lift, crib, and repeat as needed. After you use this method a time or two, engine hoists are not that expensive (grin).

Got sick of waiting for my son to show up to help change the stump under my 213 lb PW, so after 2 weekends I brought my forks up from the other farm put them on bucket of tractor, moved the anvil up to just inside the rolling door, adjusted the forks, picked the anvil off old stump placed the new one under it and bolted it down.  Only problem I had was the flat tire on the handtruck used to move the stump and anvil back where it belongs, had to stop in mid stream and get the jump kit with compressor, moved a lot easier with 2 round tires.