I Forge Iron

Viking bottle opener

We in Belgium have a compagny called "Mobile Vikings". They are an telecomprovider for phones and internet.

I just joined them for internet at my house. And received a care-pakkage of them. How nice. It included a bottle opener, viking style

20230323_182323.thumb.jpg.663ec7a9cb1687e8a46328bbae453e59.jpg

Nope, no viking style. Thin sheetmetal covered in plastic.

But it got me thinking, since I made some bottle openers recently to make a challange here on ifi. To make the best viking bottle opener.

They can be as traditional as you like (mine look like they are actually dug up from a viking site) or just modern viking (whatever that is).

Time till Easter? I try to sent the winner something to use it on (if customs allow it).

To show I'm a real contender.

20230323_222150.thumb.jpg.33008bcd8048f70143446e27406d86ce.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the concern is an alcoholic beverage, there are plenty of pop bottles that are made that require a church key. 

Guess i will break the ice though. Here is my offering. From left to right, more of a Celtic than Viking but a dragon, then some sort of spiral knot thing i tried, the 3rd is a troll cross. The troll cross, depending on who you listen to, is a talisman to ward off evil, or it is a fairly new creation from the 90's that is a misinterpretation of a rune on someone's farm.  The bottom one, come on, no self respecting Viking would use a bottle opener. They would hit it with a hammer and just knock the top off. 

image.thumb.jpeg.adbca1692efa31b247e502b491446f08.jpeg

Heres my Viking bottle opener.  It's two firsts for me, making an opener and carving letters.  I tried to follow VaughnT tutorial.  Obviously, I need practice.  I used a fine tip sharpie in the bottom of the chisel marks, to guage how deep I was getting.

It's made out of the end of a miners pick.

c1_20230330_11015710.thumb.jpeg.e3f5bfa4dca240363b5e1cde28c9572a.jpeg

c1_20230330_11024732.thumb.jpeg.8db1a17c700b837b8d20c7d8441b95f0.jpeg

Edited by Scott NC
Clarify Something

Well, here's my day.  First, I decided to go minimalist, since I don't have any brilliant, original ideas for how to shape a real viking-themed bottle opener.  I decided just to make a regular bottle opener and inscribe it with runes.  Which meant having some cold chisels to carve the runes with.  I only have 1/2" springs to make proper tools with right now, so I decided to try making some SuperQuench™ and using some scrap 1/4" mild steel, since Robb Gunter had shown us all about it at the NMABA meeting in December. 

Mixed up the SuperQuench and made those little chisels. 

Then I forged a bottle opener from 1/2" square bar and did the runes freehand with my new chisels after the opener was cooled.

I clearly have not done my quenching right because by the end of my rune inscription they were pretty dull.

Pictured are the opener and the re-dressed working ends of the chisels (1/4" and 1/8" working ends).

The runes are actually a reference to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and say "Beer Good, Foamy".

image.png.ab45ab48bef8117bff252ccd488fa576.png

PXL_20230331_001135285_cropped.png

xxxxxx you guys beat me to the runes idea.  Nice openers by all so far. All the submissions look great. I'm going to have to go with plan B.

Edited by Mod30
Corrected text

Looking good guys. I like the pick Scott.

Tommy, Super quenching mild steel will get it as hard as reasonably possible but it's still mild steel and you need to re-sharpen regularly.

An excellent source for good chasing chisels are garage / yard / rummage sale allan wrenches and old chisel / punches. We're talking a handfull for a buck or tossed into another buy. I stopped picking them up when I had 2 1/2, 3lb. coffee cans worth. Same for drill bits dull and broken ones are give away and easily re-sharpened.

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

Scott what does yours mean? 

It is just supposed to be my name.  I just grabbed the first rune alphabet graphic that caught my eye.  After the fact (as usual) I studied up on runes on wikipidea and realized how much there is to them....  Plenty of ways to use them uniquely.

19 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I like the ring on the point of it.

It comes off easily, converting it into a Viking Stabbing Weapon....Lol.  

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I like the pick Scott.

Thanks.  And I still have the other half to make another....:)

Awesome job freehand Tommy.  I traced mine out.  I just discovered sharpie metallic markers for dark surfaces like steel and iron and they work good for my eyes and shaky hand..... I was going to put a raven feathers on the sides but need more practice chiseling.