I Forge Iron

Viking bottle opener

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a stroke of genious Plan B to me....  I wasn't trying to get you to let the cat out of the bag or anything.....:)

8 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Did the Vikings even have bottles with crimped caps?:o

Why are we having a Viking bottle opener contest then anyway?   :)

This is my first bottle opener, and I'm pretty happy with it. I need to work on making carving tools as explained in a post on this forum somewhere. Still though, I think the rough carving kinda makes it look more Viking-y anyway, lol

I'll probably gift this to my oldest nephew since he's really into Nordic stuff. 
I had looked up some symbols and doodled them on a scrap of paper way back when this challenge was first mentioned. But now that I'm looking for them again to find the meanings, I'm unable to find the 'V' symbol facing the direction I wrote it. I can only find '<'. So that's what I'm going with, lol

Triangle = Fire

X = Gift, Generosity, Innate Talent

< = Opening, Knowledge, Craft

No idea what kind of metal this was. I thought it was just a scrap of mild steel from some tongs I made awhile back, but when I was working it, the bit being held in the tongs kept going through the peacock color cycles.

So for the finish, I hit it with the flap disc to get it shiny then blasted it with a torch until it turned the rusty looking color then quickly dropped it into the can of Johnsons paste wax. I think it looks pretty cool! 

received_790255719110565.jpeg

7 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Did the Vikings even have bottles with crimped caps?:o

Yes, twistcaps are for weaklings.

Shainarue they look like mine except yours are symmetrical. Which is a feature that is pleasing to the eye.

Thanks, everyone. 

Scott, my wife said, "He's only 18! He doesn't need a bottle opener!" To which I replied that there do exist bottles with caps that aren't alcohol, ya know :rolleyes:

I personally love the craft brew sodas which almost always have a crimped cap - and not a screw-on crimped cap, lol. I keep a button style opener in my car for these. I should probably gift him some of these craft sodas with the opener so that it's clear that I don't intend it to be used on alcoholic beverages, lol

Nice bottle opener Shaina, well done. If ANYBODY says the <or> symbol is backwards, tell them they're holding it upside down. 

Futhark runes are probably the most commonly used this side of the pond and were in use during the Viking age. Take a look online, there are alphabets, translators, fonts, all sorts of choices. The only search term you need is, "Futhark" you'll get more hits than you want to sift through. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Shainarue said:

I personally love the craft brew sodas

Shaina, I'm looking into this...:)   I usually drink water or Pepsi so I did a little research on artisanal soda and there's a lot of interesting flavors and combinations of flavors so I'm going to give them a try.  I'll see tomorrow if I can find some local.  

I ran across Bazooka Bubble Gum flavored soda on the internet, but I think I'll pass on that one.

We use the SodaStream Terra to carbonate just about any flavor beverage you could ask for. It uses your tap water if it's good or bottled water if it's nasty. Our well water is about as pure as can be so we use it. The SodaStream carbonates the water and you add concentrated flavor to your liking. No extra ingredients like salt and who knows what to deal with.

I know a couple people who use a Soda Stream to carbonate milk shakes, I took a sip of carbonated milk once and . . . If one happens to fall in our lap or a sale is good enough I might start carbonating my iced tea or sugar free Kool Aid. Oh don't despair I'd NEVER carbonate Deb's Maple syrup or tartar sauce. Mustard foam anyone? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a cool looking opener M3F but it looks like a tetanus injector or a dirty trick on a pick pocket. I think I'd cast it in resin. I like it but it scares me.

I was watching "The 5" on Fox a little while ago and bidets came up so of course carbonatation came to mind. Hmmm, maybe I'll exchange the TP roll for a seltzer bottle in the bathroom and see what Deb thinks. 

NO mustard foam for YOU! M.J. :angry:

I'll go sit in my corner now. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm looking into a SodaStream actually.  I drink a lot of water.  Until then I checked out craft sodas at the store today and was amazed a bit by the variety.  One caught my eye though (probably not a "craft" soda since it uses a 1939 formula) and I couldn't resist....:)

c1_20230406_20053690.thumb.jpeg.2da0957ff38991218d9efd94c864a249.jpeg

Give my opener a workout with that 4 pack.....