I Forge Iron

Gentle Warning

Scott NC

Recently we suffered an electrical blackout that affected our entire county because some maniacs decided to shoot up 2 electrical substations.  40k households.  For us, it lasted 4 days.  We were lucky as I have a generator and had gas.  Others weren't so blessed...  A good thing it didn't happen in freezing cold, though there are colder places.  A lot of helpless people suffered.  It doesn't take long to start feeling it.  Please be prepared.  Not trying to be chicken little or anything.

Ayup, a pantry is a good thing for anybody. Canned and dry food lasts quite a while but it's good not to leave it there indefinitely, I rotate goods in ours, take it from the front and add to the row in back. Pasta keeps for a long time and a jar of  warmed Ragu and some spaghetti is an easy yummy dinner. You DO have to be able to boil water though, Colman stoves can be had for reasonable at yard, garage, etc. sales. A charcoal hibachi works in a pinch but not indoors unless you have a fire place, they consume oxygen and return Carbon Monoxide! it's a B A D trade.

It doesn't hurt to have a store of "dry lite" camp foods either, it's a little spendy but it's decent eating, balanced and nutritious. A camp cook book isn't a bad thing to have in the kitchen, lots of campground chow is tasty goodness.

And believe me if you're hunkered down waiting for power, snow plows or the water to go down, good food and enough of it goes a long way towards lightening your mood.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been a "prepper" all my life. When i was a kid it was bringing in the harvest, canning and preserving food for winter. Now it is anything from a bit of financial hardship, natural disaster, or even zombie apocalypse. Living in Ohio we do not have a huge worry over natural disaster, however the Dayton area was hit a few years back by 18 tornadoes in one night (i slept through it all and got up the next day going "what the .... happened?" :lol:) however i have lived in places like the gulf coast and Florida that is prone to hurricanes. It has always amazed me how many people who have lived in those places their entire lives or many years wait until the very last minute to get needed supplies. It also amazes me how those same people will many times call me a "crazy prepper" just becuase i can go 6 months with stepping foot into a grocery store. 

Like TW says, prepping in easy. 1 or 2 extra cans of beans or soup or a case of water when shopping every week and you will have a nice stockpile built up in almost no time. Do not forget other things as well, meds, first aid, candles or emergency lighting, batteries, radio, etc. But above all do not forget about your furry family members as well. 

And to address what happened in NC that should make even more people on the ball to get prepped. A couple idiots were able to take shots at a power station and knock out power to 40k shows just how vulnerable our power grid is.

One thing I grabbed when out getting chicken food and bedding to clean the coop this weekend was new gasket material for my wood burner door. The old stuff is falling apart. Gatta be safe as well as warm. I have natural gas heat but also a wood burner attached to the system. The wood burner saves a lot of money in the cold months.  

9 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I like to keep a half dozen kerosene lanterns around

I found an Aladdin mantle lamp at a yard sale that we used for light. It started innocently enough to pick up another, but got way out of hand. I kinda got interested in collecting them and restoring the old ones, along with kerosene wick lamps. We have so many now we could keep the light on in Chicago.:D Here are but a few.

100_2053.thumb.JPG.ce450d3653835ee5dd1653200ebd5a13.JPG

100_2054.thumb.JPG.cfebaaa5ae9ae176c7324ba8fe7a746e.JPG

100_2055.thumb.JPG.560f9c266c3f32c0c0f2299636b4d069.JPG

100_2056.thumb.JPG.2b03e5b6bcdac86b22246910e7da01ae.JPG

100_2057.thumb.JPG.796431c7dcc2d268bfef4ad4de74c66c.JPG

100_2057.thumb.JPG.796431c7dcc2d268bfef4ad4de74c66c.JPG

100_2058.thumb.JPG.8a4809ab70849214fe221c1d8ef5709e.JPG

100_2059.thumb.JPG.8950a25e5d63a3bf5a156ef4d22bad62.JPG

100_2060.thumb.JPG.16adac315ac953d7371766c5116ba037.JPG

I love Aladdin lamps, great light levels for the same fuel and no soot. Our power is really reliable here and I have a welder generator in the shop. I'd still like to have one of the wall sconce Aladdins in the living room but finding a place it won't glare in the TV is a challenge. :rolleyes:

Nice collection Randy you have some lovely lamps. Don't live in earthquake country do you? 

Frosty The Lucky.

There are several minor fault lines west of us but they only produce quakes in the low range magnitude 1-2 so far. They are considered rare here. Granny and the animals were very good at picking out the small ones when they occurred. Now if the New Madrid lets go that will be a different story. Axle and I "heard" this one but I didn't feel any shaking.

https://www.ky3.com/2022/09/19/earthquake-shakes-part-carroll-county-ark-monday/

Cool lamps. That reminds me of my grandma's house. She had a bunch and some early electric lamps that looked like the oil lamps and even the on off switches were still like the little dials to adjust the wick height.  And they all still worked. Unfortunately my aunt and uncle bought her house when she passed on and either threw away or sold almost everything she had. For example her dining room table was made from a 4' wide x 6' long x 2" thick slab of walnut, with leaves. There was a matching china cabinet and glass fronted knick knack cabinet my uncle sold for $250. She provably paid a couple thousand for it all. 

23 hours ago, Scott NC said:

but now I am urban.

Being urban you have to think out side the box. It is easy enough when you have a large home with a basement but if you are in a small home in the burbs or an apartment things get tricky. You have to look for wasted space. For example under the bed just off the top of my head. 

On 12/10/2022 at 1:38 PM, BillyBones said:

if you are in a small home in the burbs or an apartment things get tricky

Trailer houses too.  Plenty of unheated storage underneath though.  I had one on the farm and the floors were made of partical board and you had to watch how much weight you piled in it.  I had a bad spot by the front door and an "overweight" fellow visiting me put his foot through the floor.

Btw, if you store stuff under the bed, there's nowhere to hide when the lights do go out...;)

That is a nice collection, Randy.