I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I've been forging some of the smaller lifting rings to an oval shape to help folks make spoons, (a task required in an instructor friends Metal Arts classes recently.)  Also I forge down the bolster so they sit flat on an anvil face.

Glad you found a useful scrapyard.  I tend to buy too much at mine expecting my local one to get closed down or shut to outsiders...I probably have a lifetime supply of some stuff!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mail Call

i got a awesome and unexpected surprise in the mail today! :o

a package showed up with a pair of tongs, a h13 chisel, a tong clip and a beautiful basket weave! 

an the tongs even had my handle stamped in them! :D 

I’ll let the maker an sender of these wonderful gifts chime in if he chooses too

Thank you very much! I can’t wait to give ‘em a go!

70124B62-7F2E-4D41-A3DB-DFDCC4CD46D1.jpeg

D8DFBCA8-FDA3-4A13-815C-2965BE9E37F3.jpeg

They are very handy. Thanks John, that is the blueprint I used to make it.

Also, the bevels on the sides of the chisel should line up with the cutting edge. The are used for sight alignment of the tool.

20 hours ago, JHCC said:

a practically new Metabo die grinder

Those who looked closely at the above photo will have noticed that the grinder was mounted in this very nicely machined aluminum stand:

AF9FE67D-FEF5-41AA-A8FB-C477BEE66538.jpeg

Which I really don’t have much use for as-built. However, the part that clamps onto the grinder will allow me to mount it in the vise both horizontally and vertically:

2C50A968-21FB-44F6-8B8E-A036E040DB38.jpeg

D9FF5242-D49D-4F93-A378-172A6DA6512B.jpeg

Which should come in handy. 

I haven't decided if I'll fix the modifications done by a previous owner or use it as is. Weigh's about 95lbs.

It sure dwarfs the 4 inch leg vise, amazing what a difference 2 inches can make.

legvise3.jpg

legvise1.jpg

Post vises came in different weights; I call the heavy duty ones robustus and the slender ones gracile.  I have at least a pair that have the same jaw width but the body of one is about twice the size as the body of the other.  (The heavy's leg is over an inch in diameter for instance.)   Nice to have both types; light for travel and heavy for heavy hitting!

During a visit to my parents yesterday, I went to the flea market with my dad.

Got a bunch of hammers, some pliers, two sledges, a small adjustable wrench, a crowbar and a metal toolbox. Cost me about 55 CAD total.

20220703_160142.thumb.jpg.a85d4cd44acdb402286b3d2a12a91987.jpg

The two ball peens with handles are 16 and 48 ounces, while the head looks to be 32 ounces (it is just stamped with a "2"). The big sledge is 12# while the smaller straight peen sledge looks to be 6#.

Meanwhile, my dad got a 4" Record bench wise for 27 CAD and a 1/2" pipe clamp for 8 dollars. Both pretty much new.

20220703_160205.thumb.jpg.d67dfa0eaa13c0a8dd6791dd737bdb96.jpg

Since my dad is 79, I was the one who carried the vise back to the car. Good thing we had a backpack! :)

We also had a good time, which is priceless.

Nice haul at the flea market Arthur. The hammer marked with #2 would be 2 lbs = 32 oz. Yes? The straight pein double jack (two hander) is probably a stone dressing hammer but they make really effective forging hammers, I have a 16lb. version and it makes short work of mooshing hot steel. 

The hammer on the right end is a forming hammer a standard tin knocker's hammer. While not forging a hammer it will do light forging and is excellent for texturing.

The red handles pliers are fencing pliers and are always a good addition to the tool box. Crow bars are always on my buy list if they're reasonably priced, they're excellent medium carbon steel and I'll make things that need to be tough or springy from it. 

Pipe clamps are always handy but the vise is a SWEET score. 

It's almost as good a haul as having a good day out doing guy stuff with your Dad. I miss my Dad every time I think about him. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yep, the ball peen head is sized right for two pounds, so that was my guess as well.

I was thinking about modifying the fencing pliers by rounding them slightly for use as scrolling pliers. At $2 they were a no brainer purchase. The other pliers were $1 each.

And indeed the vise is the best deal of all. My guess at the time was that it was worth in the  $100-150 range. It was labelled at 35, but I applied some of the advice I read on these boards and combined it with a few other items (the small ball peen at 5, the carpenter's hammer at 3 and the crowbar at 5) making an offer at 40 for the lot.

The time with my dad was the best part of it. I am lucky I still have him and my mom both. :)

They should make fine scrolling pliers. If you grind one jaw small and round and the other large and round they'll be more versatile. Don't forget to taper them so you can change the radius of a finial scroll by where on the jaw you turn it!

The first time I heard the term "fencing pliers" was when an old cowboy told me to grab a pair out of the tool box in his pickup. The image that came to my 8-9 YRO mind was pliers with 3' long wire thin whippy jaws for stabbing rattle snakes or something else dangerous, maybe bandits. Whatever it was I definitely wanted to watch Vern stab it or both of them. 

After about 30 seconds he shouted, "The funny looking needle nose with the wire cutter." I never forgot what fencing pliers looked like even if I've only rarely used a pair.

Frosty The Lucky.

I remember when my Daughter was helping at a wild horse sanctuary and told me that she needed to buy a fencing multi tool.  I walked out to the shop and asked her which one she wanted?  So far I've only used it once; but when found cheap at scrapyard of garage sale...

John, curses foiled again!  (took a year of fencing in college... a time so far ago that geologic timescales help describing it...

On 7/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

The tong clip is new to me I’ve never tried one so that’s gonna be different, I’ve heard they can be handy though!

if you remember i made a pair about 1 year ago but never remember to use them there probably lost in the blackhole called "the shop" did like them though

I've taken short lengths of black iron pipe and hammered them down to slip of the tong ends for dedicated uses---I had a set of tongs that held my favorite slitting chisel done that way till a student broke the pair of tongs. (Now it has a dedicated handle that will take a lot more abuse and is cheap and easy to replace.)

At an IITH I got a set of C tong clips that have several nubs on the inside curve so they will fit a number of different sizes that are very handy.