• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLY MACKEREL! The look complete too. Did you bring them home with you? 

About the little jeweler's vise. :D If we work the schedule right you could do a round trip in one day, it'd be a long day but doable, I'll meet you at Steven's International.

Flat rate is probably more sensible. I'll meet you at the airport any time you want to make the trip.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes I bought and brought them home, I did a quick check over them and I didn’t see any cracks or repairs anywhere on them and the screw and boxes looked to be in pretty tight shape. I was a little worried when I saw the handles bent that they may have been stripped out but the threads looked good so I felt the price was fair. And they were complete, there were three more post vises that had some issues that I passed on for the moment but I’ll be going back and picking them up as well at a later date.    
           On the trip to Alaska I think if I go through the trouble to fly up there to deliver a vise I might as well spend a few days checking everything out I’ve never personally been to Alaska but I’ve had friends go and visit and they all said they had a wonderful time. It would be a shame just to turn around and get back on the plane without at least seeing a few things. 

I wasn't suggesting you turn around and fly back immediately just saying a day trip from Oklahoma to Alaska and back is possible. Give us a little lead time and we'll make a couple reservations for some real Alaska things. A Glacier tour are usually a real hit with visitors. It's an old favorite show off excursion for our visitors Deb and I go along of course. Makes it a win win. 

Just going for a drive can be scenery overload. I've traveled some of these roads many MANY times and I'm still in awe.

What bent handles? THOSE aren't bent handles! A strong man can bend the handles more than that without using a cheater or hammer. Those look to be in beautiful condition and if the screws and boxes are good then they're a terrific score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wife’s been bugging me for a vacation maybe I’ll try and see if she will go for a few days up there. 
I checked those vises out today and the threads are cherry so I think they will work out alright, I already have some post vises but it’s always good to have spares. 

I bought this last year at a garage sale. I thought it was a simple post drill but with the Acme square thread moving the entire arbor down would seem like it would be a horrible drill.  I grabbed it thinking I could use it as a small fly press of sorts for a touch mark maybe but would have to make the business end float on a bearing or something of the like.  It looks to accept a square shank (almost like a bit brace). The bench looks like either it was drilled at some point or was a thru hole that got blown out. Maybe an early arbor press?! Any thoughts?  Might use it for pressing rivets or something like that. Thanks. Paid $10 for it. 

Adam

20210628_190557.jpg

20210628_190640.jpg

20210628_190816.jpg

I want to say an arbor press, the square socket would make it easy to change press caps, say for 2" bearing or 3 or 1/2" etc. I don't know how much pressure you could generate with that small a wheel but if bearings are lined up properly it doesn't take a lot of pressure. Just a good straight push.

It's a cool tool, I would've given a 10 spot for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

From a short walkabout while selling at the fleamarket. A re spike driving hammer. Talked them down to $5. Since it wasn't worth more to me. Planning on turning it into a stake anvil. Usually finding ones like this the handle is rotten or gone. This one has a nice fitting handle. I have a bit of time before I have time to play so I'll research it a little more with the stampings before I turn it into something else. 

15 3/8" long.

20210628_230148.thumb.jpg.899e91e539ec80db27e4ea7f30c72e34.jpg

20210628_230202.thumb.jpg.5a9d3cd11bf69c1d1d777394f97e4baf.jpg

20210628_230322.thumb.jpg.66c9c360970a3dd05e12970617201efd.jpg

Thanks. I think it's nice as repurposed Or an antique. 

The lady had no other tools and no price on it, she asked for $10. I countered with $5. And she jumped on it saying she didnt want to load it back up. 

Always try to haggle a bit unless the price is stupid fair. 

Another purchase sunday was a claw hammer head. The guy asked a dollar but I countered 50 cents seeing as it had no handle. He went for that easy. It'll become another Jack hammer. 

Some people wont haggle, no big deal, either is worth what it is or not. Doesn't hurt to ask. If they get offended walk away. It's all scrap and maybe they paid too much thinking it is worth more. Be polite but know when to walk away. 

Hubbard, that's it. 

A quick look is telling me it might be worth more as a stake anvil then a railroad collectable. It has a little time before I get around to converting it.  

Wish I could be there many years from now when someone on iforgeiron asks if anyone knows anything about a Hubbard PA rr stake anvil. Lol