• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Champion 400 blower and a lightweight leg vise.

20210314_212204.thumb.jpg.0bf6af4375d17dbc05bcc36eb798b19d.jpg

20210314_212232.thumb.jpg.ff81bcad2e9e927984d8d1ec4e82d909.jpg

The blower turns smoothly. It just needs a little cleaning and a few drops of oil. And a set of legs, which I plan on making.

20210314_212255.thumb.jpg.3e27f1ec93222540fb91a82bef3d09ae.jpg

20210314_212426.thumb.jpg.892a8e99b2c94c1073073fb57cec631c.jpg

20210314_212449.thumb.jpg.35d7327b831fa25d81f13bb5075ed403.jpg

The screw on the vise looks to be in good condition (forgot to take a picture of it). The jaws are slightly mis-aligned, which should be correctable without too much trouble. And I think there is a cap missing at the end of the screwbox.

Got those for C$250, which I think was a fair price.

7 hours ago, Arthur210 said:

I think there is a cap missing at the end of the screwbox.

I'm pretty sure some of the Columbians came like that. I'm not completely sure but I don't think it's missing. 

Pnut

In a further attempt to use the gift cards I received almost a year ago before they expire I remembered I was talking about the bolt and screw improvised rivet set I'd been using and decided to get a better one. I also have a tomahawk mandrel and a copy of The Skills of a Blacksmith vol. 1 on the way. IMG_20210315_055014.jpg.a74dbfb09f42f9de2ea82e4c8445121a.jpg

Pnut

If the jaws are parallel, that’s more important than being in line. 

(Both is best, of course.)

Our local “What do you have, what do you need” FB group organized an all-town giveaway yesterday: Just put what you don’t want any more in your front yard, and anyone is free to take it. One of my neighbors was getting rid of this nice toolbox, which came with some drills and other fun bits and pieces. 

27E93C9F-52E5-4A71-A9CE-7C70A923AEA8.jpeg

(The bottom part was empty, alas.)

I have seen twisted rebar like that from the 1920's?.  As it was sticking out of concrete chunks dumped as spoil piles along a river in Columbus Ohio; I strongly suspected it was twisted rebar!  Check it for Hardening!  Some I have scrounged would harden and so make good tools! I would also do the break test for Wrought Iron too, cut 3/4 of the way through and break the rest off to check for greenstick vs granular fracture.

A lot of Columbian vise screwboxes didn't have end caps; I have 3 like that myself and sold off a couple of others.  Neatest Mod I've seen was a fellow who brazed an endcap on and then drilled and tapped it for a Zerk and so when he greases the screw it pushes any crud OUT of the screwbox!

32 pieces of 8” 5/8” WI round bar.

I am beginning to think I have a problem. But that is the first step isn’t it?  

I have no idea what I am going to do with the stuff. There are after all only so many hammers one can make and use. 

This last batch weighs 21.2 lbs.  I must have around 100 lbs of the stuff by now. It does feel nice under the hammer though. 

70D74624-F8FC-43B1-9258-D6F1ABFC020E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, DHarris said:

I am beginning to think I have a problem.

Yes, you do: not enough wrought iron. At least you're working on it.

This leads me to think, could a non-ferrous scrap heap  be described as anemic?

Just saw this after responding on the other thread lol

It performed really well, considering my lack of experience. I'm pretty thrilled. The sketchiest thing about it is the carriage binding on the way. I did a google search and some people have this issue on the headstock side. That would've been seriously depressing.

16 hours ago, DHarris said:

32 pieces of 8” 5/8” WI round bar

Are you ordering it from eBay? I think I noticed an ad with nearly that description. I've been hesitant to order any because, well, I don't know why really. I guess I'm just naturally skeptical of ads I see online. I've had no luck finding much locally. If the source where this came from has more and you don't mind, could you possibly PM me the details? 

Pnut

11 hours ago, twigg said:
12 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Twigg, how did it run today? 

Just saw this after responding on the other thread lol

It performed really well, considering my lack of experience. I'm pretty thrilled. The sketchiest thing about it is the carriage binding on the way. I did a google search and some people have this issue on the headstock side. That would've been seriously depressing.

The discussion on the "What did you do in the shop today?" thread has been moved to its own thread in the Lathes section: https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/67766-taig-tools-mini-lathe/

eBay, yes. I purchased the last 32 pieces he  had the same day. I gave him some tips on where to look for more and asked him to hit me up if he finds a new supply. 

If there is anyone near you who restores old wagons, they are a good source. 

There is someone on eBay now selling something he calls 00 WI. Supposedly ultra pure. Not what I want. Then there are usually people selling old anchor chain links. Beyond that, keep your eye out for leg vices which cannot be repaired or perhaps an old Peter Wright which has busted in half. 

I found a guy selling some half inch round that's 19'. With shipping it would be about 67 dollars. He even has a picture of a broken and bent piece so you can see that it's fibrous. I can't exactly remember the length. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it. 

Pnut