I Forge Iron

It followed me home

my very nice neighbor offered me this little band saw he picked up for practically nothing at an auction. of course i obliged.  I also hit up the owner of the suspension shop down the way about his scrap pile, told him i could make forge him something neat in exchange for a few pounds, he didnt seem to think twice about letting me have at it, made 3 trips on my skateboard and when i came back the last time he had thrown pair of king pins to my pile. anyone have any experience forging these? 

the spindle is also a hand down from the neighbor, what a guy. 

bandsaw.jpg

fabgrab.jpg

spindle.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure, don't forge them over 5,000 RPM. it says so right there. King pins are usually a medium carbon steel for toughness over hardness. No telling what alloy they are anymore, you'll need to do some experimenting to determine specific characteristics.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

concrete or other masonry work?

Not sure. It was a $1 recycle center find. It is a nice weight. The 3lb and 2.5lb are what I use most, but that extra 1/2lb off will be nice on the shoulder for the finer blows. 

Just wondering.  It's that ball peen hammer head you found.  It's begging for a deep scouring under the nozzle.  There are other ways, but what fun blowing all that crud off there!  I like crusty layers of rust more than others, but not on tools.  Nice finds, at any rate!

Wear patterns can often indicate how a sledge was used/abused.  Wear can also help with dressing the face to a more usable shape as well as sharp transitions tend to get abraded away leaving a more rocker or domed face.

For the ball peen I'd dump it in a container of vinegar, totally immersed, for about a week and then scrub it off at the hose bib.  No sandblasting needed; though unless oiled after the wash off it will flash rust a bit.

Just now, JHCC said:

nice rounding hammer

I was just thinking about that!

1 minute ago, Nodebt said:

what fun blowing all that crud off there!

yes it will be. Apologies the ball peen slipped my mind. i was wondering how to get it all off. Maybe tumble it in can with some bearings.

Submerged completely in a plastic bucket with dilute Naval Jelly will convert the rust back to steel beautifully. Rinse neutralize with soda, dry and oil. If you let it dry right out of the solution it'll turn iron phosphate black.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the suggestions y’all! Unfortunately I do not have any apprentices or a nearby river or a laser. 

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Naval Jelly will convert the rust back to steel beautifully. Rinse neutralize with soda, dry and oil.

Now this I can get ahold of. Thanks for the tip Frosty. I remember somewheres here you mention the use of phosphoric acid to convert the steel.

And of course the electrolytic method of removing rust requiring water, baking soda and a car battery charger---the old cheap type.

Lack of Minions, rivers and industrial/military grade lasers shows poor prior planning on your part. You should at least have *friends* with such things if you don't have them yourself!