Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jasent said:

Picked up 28’ of 3/4” square and 10’ of 7/8 square and about 8’ of 1 1/8” square and a bucket of files and rasp’s.   all solid stock and was paid $5 to haul it off

$5. better than free? :blink: MERRY CHRISTMAS Jasen!! 

Frosty The Lucky.

Uh, I got all of these at an auction, can anyone help me with the names of everything? I know they're stakes and a stake plate, and one is a beak horn but other than that I'd love to know exact names and how to figure out who made them. (Also, what you would have paid for the lot including the table with the stake plate. Would love to know how I did price wise.)

IMG_20191228_183654_01.jpg

IMG_20191228_183709_01.jpg

Followed me home from work yesterday. Four 2” dia 1045 tie rods from a relatively small hydraulic press at work. Rod failed over time due to offset loading in the press. Appropriate scrap tag, and there now raw material for the forge!

Keep forging!

David

411D2F9F-E0C4-41D9-969D-3AE8F04F7E29.jpeg

2 hours ago, WiMetalsTime said:

who made them.

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum READ THIS FIRST

It is full of tips to help you get the best out of the forum like editing your profile to show your location and how to keep off the moderators radar.

Well the table & plate is made by Bally, I'd venture a guess the stakes are also made by them although Pexto made stakes too. As far as value that depends a lot on location. I've seen the table & plate go for $200-$300 U.S. and the stakes for $20-$30 each. If I were bidding on them my limit would be $300 for all but I'm frugal and would have little use for most of them .

I agree Randy, hexavalent chromium is nasty. I stay away from plated metal unless I can be sure I know exactly what the plating is and can easily remove it.  You can't be too safe in my opinion." In rust we trust"

Pnut

10 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Well the table & plate is made by Bally, I'd venture a guess the stakes are also made by them although Pexto made stakes too. As far as value that depends a lot on location. I've seen the table & plate go for $200-$300 U.S. and the stakes for $20-$30 each. If I were bidding on them my limit would be $300 for all but I'm frugal and would have little use for most of them .

Around here, the plate alone would be $200, the table another $200, each large stake $50 to $150, and the small stuff that does not really belong another $100. But it all is really only good to a tinsmith, or someone who does large scale non-ferrous art forms.

WiMetals, the stake in the lower left of your picture is a blowhorn stake - not sure about the others.  Quite expensive if you are buying new;

[external link removed]

I think if you poke around the Roper Whitney site, you may be able to find the names of your other stakes.

Edited by Mod34
Direct links to commercial sites are not permitted under the TOS

Randy & pint, I understand and appreciate the concerns over chrome plating. These are not from the cylinder itself, but the “posts” of the four post setup, and they were not part of the guiding system of the ram. Already had to confirm the material from the part print before having new rods/posts made from 4340. (That way we’ll never have to take this thing apart again.)

Having prints on the machine components at work makes sourcing scrap there fantastic. I just need to avoid over doing it, but couldn’t pass these up.

Thanks, David

I seen you said they were tie rods. I was just posting a general warning in case someone in the future doesn't know. They will make good tools. I love free metal. I got a coil spring and some tie rod ends the other day. Haven't decided what to do with them yet.

Pnut