I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 5/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Not blacksmithing related other than it is two and a half tons worth of steel and cast iron. 1956 Imperial

Too bad the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend just happened. My vote is for Rat Rod.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driving down our favorite path from town, my wife looked down and said, "There's a horse shoe".  I stopped and backed up to collect said shoe and discovered it's a two-fer.  Strange.  I never realized horses got retreads. 

Horseshoe Retread.JPG

Actually per my reading the test for farrier for the US military used to include taking two worn out shoes and forge welding them together to make 1 good shoe; not quite as impressive as the guy who forgewelded baling wire into a shoe---but that wasn't on the test.

Stopped by the old stock supply today and while picking up some more bar stock i was given this. 1" x 1 1/2" x 14" ( or abouts 14") hunk of D-2. 

20190509_163744.thumb.jpg.a6a577a19b726d483a3e3b9be05077ed.jpg

I am thinking hardy tools, fullers, cone mandrel, etc. to use it for. Any yall ever use D-2 for tooling? It is a nice big hunk and i would like to figure something out with it. I tried to cut a piece and thought i was going to burn out my angle grinder. Pretty tough stuff. 

Read the official heat treat specs for it!  I know a fellow who used to make blades from it; but by stock removal and had a computerized electric inert atmosphere custom heat treat furnace to get the best from it. (Din't hurt that his father was a research metallurgist...)