• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the concern Hans. The last machine shop I worked at went through literal tons of BeCu bar stock, so I am familiar with the hazards. I even contacted our supplier about forging it, and what safety items were needed.. By the way it cannot be hot forged, just solution annealed and worked cold.

Not smithing-related, but I grabbed these three frying pans from a yard sale for a buck each. 

C9C827D1-CD95-494E-BAE7-70D863A851A1.jpeg

I also found this interesting-looking bolt lying beside the road:

7F6A59A1-173E-474B-BB1A-FDA8F7D05029.jpeg

And in the Sad News Department, my faithful van in which I have hauled so much useful smithing material has finally given up the ghost and been replaced with a subcompact for Lisa to commute in. I will have to reconsider my hauling strategies. 

Nice Trenton, Hawk!  

Yesterday I went to a graduation party for a girl I coached and taught.  Her father told me that his father had passed a while ago and that he was giving away all the tools he owned.  He brought me to the house (it was three minutes away) and SCORE.  I am going with my truck to grab stuff in a couple days.  There are a few bench vises, loads of large chisels, pipe threading tools, old wrenches, etc...  I grabbed the handled top fuller that I found.  I may get the oxy rig that was there as well.  Will get a picture when I get to load the truck.

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

And in the Sad News Department, my faithful van in which I have hauled so much useful smithing material has finally given up the ghost and been replaced with a subcompact for Lisa to commute in. I will have to reconsider my hauling strategies. 

I put 290K on a little subcompact Toyota Echo my wife and I used to own.  I hauled 400lbs of flint in the trunk once and the lights were pointing up quite a bit more than normal.  I've gotten backer board in there, lumber, pipes and just about anything else so those little cars can haul a lot.  With studded snow tires that think went anywhere.  You'd be surprised just how much you can fit in them things with the back seats down and the trunk open.  

The question is less "How do I fit stuff in the car?" and more "How do I transport stuff in a vehicle whose appearance my wife actually cares about?" 

(Step one was "Put a tarp in the spare tire well, just in case.")

John,

Think up.

Look up.

Don't forget the car's roof. You can 'store' a lot of stuff on a roof top carrier.  (tie it tight).

Also, the back seat is easily removable for much more space.

( I strongly urge you to re-install it before the Boss notices that it is gone.).

SLAG.

p.s. what is the Germen word for an "improvement" that makes things much worse? I forgot to note for my collection.

It's  something like  " …. besserung".

Danke vielmal.

Dan.

Mr. Meadowgrove. &  Mr. Dragon.

You fellows are correct!

I checked it out on this site,

https://www.linguee.com/english-german/search?source=auto&query=schlimmbesserung

Funny the Langenscheidt site did not pan out.

Now I have to commit it to memory.

Thank you.

SLAG

Also thanks to  Mr.JHCC who first brought the word to my/our  attention.

JHCC, yeah you need tarps and moving cloths.  I have a load of PVC pipe that ran from the dash, through the car and hanging out of the trunk.  All the jostling around rubbed a few scratches on the dash and not only was my wife not happy, I wasn't happy either because it was the only car we had.  Guys at work always joked "Hey, big dude like you drives such a tiny car!"  I fit as much in that car as a small truck at times.  I took car of that little car very well and she took care of me.  We ran that car up a road that was suddenly flash flooding and I once had to jump a median with it to get out of a traffic jam in another flood.  Of course, you know that greasy rust really marks up an interior.  The last anvil I bought left marks in the back of our SUV and my wife wasn't too happy about that.  Trips to the scrap yard are like a CIA operation where I need to be sure there is no evidence the vehicle ever contained 40lbs of scrap.  I passed on a large bandsaw blade on the last trip just because I knew something would get snagged by those teeth.  

MC Hammer, a few feet of garden hose(or similar tubing) split lengthwise could help with eg. the aforementioned bandsaw blade and other thin, sharp stuff. Safer to handle too. Put on some hose and the sharp edges just... Can't touch this!

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

How do I transport stuff in a vehicle whose appearance my wife actually cares about?

Always carry a tarp and several old towels in the car. Easier to spread out a tarp than be on the receiving end of the wife's wrath. The towels are for covering greasy things or padding where needed. Tarp doubles as ground protection when working on the car or shelter if needed. A hank of light rope 1/4 inch for light tie downs, or 3/8 inch diameter for medium tie downs is a plus. 

Try to remove it from the vehicle BEFORE she notices. (Usually not possible, but try).

12 hours ago, Lou L said:

I’m picturing a guy in shiny, baggy pants dancing side to side with a rusty band saw blade in his arms.

Hey if dancing in a pair of shiny, baggy pants would get me a discount at the scrap yard I'd do it :lol:  Actually they are pretty kind to me there, but I'm pretty sure any dancing would get me kicked out of there.  

Garden hose, now that's a great idea and yes "Can't touch this" :lol:  I'm always amazed by the good ideas that pop up here.  Always things you slap your forehead and say "Now why didn't I think of that!"

I went back to grab the leftovers from the father of a girl I coached and taught.  I missed two small anvils that were given to elderly neighbors because they contained memories of his father that passed.  Also missed out on a drill press and a bench grinder.  But I think I did alright!  Weird thing is, I was helping him out because he had no way to get rid of the stuff.

I’m seriously going to need identification help for some of this stuff.  Some I took out of curiosity, some out of need, and some just to do my part and help him get rid of junk.  Without further blathering:

307C04C8-E152-472F-A0B9-57957F5F9B4B.thumb.jpeg.815add3ddda2b7d78f65a8e421a4f481.jpeg

1C5C20C2-21FD-41D0-896E-338B8BB3294B.thumb.jpeg.6bfc248739b9e4069c767b50f1c9952f.jpeg7064BB44-78B4-4BD4-B327-B568709A904C.thumb.jpeg.58851da6382b94bec0b2ab39dfce1b8d.jpeg9E26F253-D4BF-4D60-B358-EC5577875ADB.thumb.jpeg.b294ca48c15d13259fe0e87cf3334bb2.jpeg31E41270-D402-4D99-89C0-D40CDA477FC3.thumb.jpeg.921baeb58ee4bcd264c87ec5f797654c.jpeg

There is so much stuff!  And yes, it was all just given to me at the cost of lifting it.  The fly wheel is grooved for two belts...it has the stink of power hammer on it but I think I’d be out of my depth trying to make one on my own right now.  There were also two crates of pipe fittings from 1” to 4”.  If you see something odd and can ID it for me feel free to do so.

Lou